• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone want to buy this '98XJ AS-IS?

TerraWombat

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998XJ Sport 4.0L, AW4, NP231, D30/8.25 with (I assume) 3.55 gears. It only has 71,450 miles on the odometer, BUT it has a SALVAGE title that has not yet been recertified with the state of NJ. I have the title and I have receipts that show the repairs done to the vehicle, however, I do NOT have any photographs before the XJ was repaired.

A little story behind the truck: I bought it from a guy down at the Jersey Shore who intended on fixing the XJ and taking it through the state-mandated inspection to get it recertified so it can be registered in this state. It was given a salvage title because it was a theft recovery. As far as I can tell, the only damage that was done were the front and back windows were busted out. I have receipts from the PO showing these were purchased. When I bought the XJ, it would not start or deliver fuel to the rail. It turned out that the fuel pump was bad and the PCM was fried. I replaced the PCM with a used one on e-bay and bought a brand new airtex pump and it now runs. I also replaced a rear brake line that had a pinhole leak.

The good: Low mileage, starts and runs great, doesn't overheat, good oil pressure, and the body is straight with some dings/dents in the drivers front door (see pictures). All windows and door locks work and the interior is in pretty good shape.

The bad: Fender flares are faded, no electric radiator fan, missing the passenger mirror glass (I may have an extra). I have the interior out right now because I was in the process of painting the floors due to surface rust starting to form. Going to stop it before it becomes any issue. You can see the pictures where I haven't painted yet. I will reinstall the interior before sale, unless it gets sold, like, tomorrow. Otherwise I'll include everything.

The ugly: This salvage title BS I never took care of. I really don't know how strict these official state inspections are. I'm sure they are more for vehicles that were in a bad accident that needed significant repairs done to the suspension/frame/drivetrain. This was a theft recovery with some windows smashed out - I think it should be okay.

Looking for a quick sale. Ideally, I want to get rid of it this weekend, if possible. Pricing it at $1500 OBO. The only trade I'd consider would be for a sport quad of some sort - Yamaha Banshee, Blaster, Warrior or Honda 300/400EX.

CIMG2380.jpg

CIMG2381.jpg

CIMG2382.jpg

CIMG2383.jpg

CIMG2384.jpg

CIMG2385.jpg

CIMG2386.jpg

CIMG2387.jpg

CIMG2388.jpg

CIMG2389.jpg

CIMG2390.jpg

CIMG2391.jpg

CIMG2392.jpg

CIMG2393.jpg

It's wet because I powerwashed the bird poop off of it.

I see that the odometer picture didn't really come out...I'll get another.

damn, i would be all over this, but i need to sell the other jeep we just got. If you dont sell it this weekend i will get in touch with you as soon as i get the other sold.

Glad to see there is interest in it. I'll let you know if it sells this weekend.

Going to pull the driver seat, clean the floors, paint them and try to get the interior reinstalled tomorrow.

I cleaned and painted the floors. Waiting on them to dry and then I will reinstall the carpet, seats, center console, and trim molding.

Couple of other issues I've found: Sounds like the catalytic converter insides are rattling around. Steering wheel is not centered. Steering wheel leather is discolored from the sun. Rear most tailpipe hanger broke off from tailpipe (I may try to weld it back on).

Just pulled the paperwork for this out of my filing cabinet. I have the salvage title (signed by PO), a bunch of paperwork stating he had previously set up an appointment to get it recertified by the state (but never did), and a receipt for $514.10 for a new windshield and "backlite" (assuming that's the rear window...maybe a rear side window?).

I would like to, but I don't have nearly that much money to spend right now, or can get down to Jersey this weekend.

for what it is thats a score... as long as the red tape isnt too deep

The "red tape" varies from state to state. When I first got this Jeep, a fellow from Virginia (or maybe West Virginia) said he'd buy it from me based on the fact that the state didn't give a damn about salvage title vehicles and he'd easily be able to get it titled okay.

I don't think it'll be an issue to get it back on the road in NJ. The only thing that I don't have for it are color photographs of the vehicle before it was repaired. I remember reading on some NJ form that they are required during the mandatory one-hour inspection of the vehicle to have it recertified with the state.

Speaking of photos, here are some more:

CIMG2397.jpg

CIMG2398.jpg

CIMG2399.jpg

CIMG2400.jpg

CIMG2403.jpg

I've got three cops in three different areas of NJ looking this VIN up for me now. Hopefully they can turn up something useful like a case report ID for a police report or insurance report. If I can get the insurance report that lists the damages that caused it to be totaled, that will supplement the before photographs during the official state inspection.

I dont think I could make it this weekend, I'm heading up for the meet n greet, but if you still have it after shoot me a pm...that looks identical to my 98, color and all, and I never met an xj I didnt like.
Rich

One of my police officer contacts has said he cannot obtain any information on it unless the theft occurred in the township that he works for. Still got two more on the case, though. In the meantime, I ran a Carfax for the thing, but it didn't turn up anything useful - just that on 5/22/2002 it was suddenly issued a salvage title, but there is no reason as to why. It does look like the only owners of the vehicle have been the guy/girl that bought it from the dealership in Feb of '08 and the guy I bought it from, who never drove it. The only thing I can't figure out is how it had 12,466 miles put on it from the time it was issued a salvage title on 5/22/2002 to the time it was bought by the PO on 2/25/2004.

If i do get it, it wont be for parts....what do you need? Shoot me a pm with a list, I may be able to source some stuff for you, I got connections :)

And to your puzzlement, Wombat, if I'm not totally mistaken you actually can tag a vehicle with a salvage title in NJ if it passes regular inspection...I know people who have done it.

Well, there are two types of salvage titles, as I was told by the not-so-friendly staff at the Baker's Basin MVC. The first type will have an 'S' under the STATUS column on the front of the title. This type will allow you to register and insure the vehicle in NJ. The second, which is what I have, is a title also with the 'S' under STATUS, but it also has a big SALVAGE written diagonally across the front of the title. This type of salvage title needs to have a special inspection done by the state of NJ to remove the big old SALVAGE brand (but keeps the 'S' under STATUS). I guess if I caught the right person working on the right day, they may issue me a normal salvage cert and I'd be on my way.

Back