• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"antispyware soft" help!

so you're saying it'd be smart to un-system restore, clean the system with malwarebytes and all that, and i'm good to go? Other than getting this thing off of whatever dark corner of my hard drive it's hiding in...comp is running fine now in system restore

It's funny that I come across this thread this morning, and then my wife calls me this afternoon with this crap on our computer. So here is what I did to remove it, and so far so good.

1) Start in safe mode
2) Run Malwarebytes and do a complete scan ->restart in safe mode
3) Run CCleaner ->restart in safe mode
4) Run Comodo ->restart normal
5) Update Malwarebytes and run again just doing the quick scan

I cleaned up 3 of these last week. It’s very easy to remove but a big pain when it's running. The program does not install anything so all you need to do is stop it from running and delete the program.

On a clean computer go to live.sysinternals.com download autoruns.exe and put it on a flash drive. Boot into safe mode and run autoruns.exe click on the logon tab. You will find a program that has random letters and numbers instead of a name right click and delete. Turn on hidden files and folders and protected operating system files go to the file location and delete. The program usually lives in c:\programdata or c:\documents and settings\all users\application data or c:\documents and settings\%usernane%\application data. Click the Image Hijacks tab delete everything that is listed. Reboot back into windows run a full scan with Malwarebytes to make sure it's gone.

Since you did a system restore the program will be harder to find and probably will not be listed in autoruns. Maybe a scan will be all you need.

I recommend you run windows and internet explorer. I use it every day and it works fine.

I have had to clean some of that stuff out by hand - going into the Registry (ugh!) and picking out the pieces; then killing off the processes by hand (you have to dig through the list, and they're not in "Applications" when you do the Vulcan Nerve Pinch.)

Rules for Anti-Spyware:

1) If you don't know what it is, DO NOT CLICK ON IT!

2) Stop using MSIE! It's a bloody bugpack on its own, and an awful lot of that stuff will automatically trigger with MSIE. Virii as well. Firefox is preferred (since it's the old Netscape core; stripped, updated, and nearly all features "manually installed:" and Netscape is abandonware anyhow, I'm not going to say to get Netscape. I'd also suggest Opera - but I don't know enough about it to actually recommend it. Don't bother with Apple Safari tho - it's a resource hog.)

3) Have a decent Antivirus/security programme. AVG is good. ESET isn't bad (I'm running it on my ASUS netbook.) Norton was good, and the engine is still good, but the interface has gotten to need too much overhead in the last few years.

4) If you don't know what it is, DO NOT CLICK ON IT! Full stop. You can activate virii, malware, spyware, and suchlike without knowing you're doing it, or even thinking you're taking effort not to.

5) If you're running FireFox, two little add-ons that come in very handy - NoScript and AdBlockPlus. NoScript will automatically block scripts, ABP will automatically block pop-up (and most pop-under) adverts. You have to manually whitelist sites, but that's quite easy to do.

6) Keep your security updated.

7) Free security is usually worth precisely what you paid for it. Don't bother.

8) Likewise, don't bother with MacAfee. From what I've had to deal with on the stuff, it can't catch a cold without written instructions (and that's still a fifty-fifty shot!)

9) No matter just how good your AV/Security software is, your behaviour still counts for much. The condom comparison wasn't far off - the pores in a latex condom are ten microns in average diameter, while HIV is one micron across on the long dimension. What's all this about "Safe Sex?" Might as well use a coffee filter... Browsing habits and response to stimuli are going to count for rather more than software will, in preventing virus/malware/spyware/adware infections...

I have had to clean some of that stuff out by hand - going into the Registry (ugh!) and picking out the pieces; then killing off the processes by hand (you have to dig through the list, and they're not in "Applications" when you do the Vulcan Nerve Pinch.)

Rules for Anti-Spyware:

1) If you don't know what it is, DO NOT CLICK ON IT!

2) Stop using MSIE! It's a bloody bugpack on its own, and an awful lot of that stuff will automatically trigger with MSIE. Virii as well. Firefox is preferred (since it's the old Netscape core; stripped, updated, and nearly all features "manually installed:" and Netscape is abandonware anyhow, I'm not going to say to get Netscape. I'd also suggest Opera - but I don't know enough about it to actually recommend it. Don't bother with Apple Safari tho - it's a resource hog.)

3) Have a decent Antivirus/security programme. AVG is good. ESET isn't bad (I'm running it on my ASUS netbook.) Norton was good, and the engine is still good, but the interface has gotten to need too much overhead in the last few years.

4) If you don't know what it is, DO NOT CLICK ON IT! Full stop. You can activate virii, malware, spyware, and suchlike without knowing you're doing it, or even thinking you're taking effort not to.

5) If you're running FireFox, two little add-ons that come in very handy - NoScript and AdBlockPlus. NoScript will automatically block scripts, ABP will automatically block pop-up (and most pop-under) adverts. You have to manually whitelist sites, but that's quite easy to do.

6) Keep your security updated.

7) Free security is usually worth precisely what you paid for it. Don't bother.

8) Likewise, don't bother with MacAfee. From what I've had to deal with on the stuff, it can't catch a cold without written instructions (and that's still a fifty-fifty shot!)

9) No matter just how good your AV/Security software is, your behaviour still counts for much. The condom comparison wasn't far off - the pores in a latex condom are ten microns in average diameter, while HIV is one micron across on the long dimension. What's all this about "Safe Sex?" Might as well use a coffee filter... Browsing habits and response to stimuli are going to count for rather more than software will, in preventing virus/malware/spyware/adware infections...

Something else to consider: if you are still running XP upgrade to Vista or Win7. Vista and 7 or much more secure than XP.

Back