• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MAJOR PC Problems ... gonna throw it off damn roof!!!

They were specifically told that the drive containing the data was to be unplugged. They did not follow that specific instruction. They gave me the the server back with no data... and the VP of the company himself to me he did the work, and that there was never any data on the drive. He lied, as I had verified the data was infact there, and valid.

It turned out to be a very long day. Their techs gave up. I had to learn how to recover the data myself, with no physical access to the machine. I think I worked 2 days straight on the issue. I did recover the "data the was never there". LOL.

in a situation like that I absolutely would not have had the secondary drive plugged in while I was playing with the partitioner

I've had to do that once. It brought the suck. at least it wasn't a customer drive.

Disregard all the partitioning and Linux stuff it's not going to help you find the problem. If the hard drive is bad you don't want to be messing with it too much.

Truth. If the drive is going bad the more you use it the faster it's going to happen. Back up everything important to you and find a local PC shop to diagnose and clone/reinstall it.
Don't take it to best buy, I'm saving you money with that tip. I had a customer that took a machine to best buy because he had moved away from us. They quoted him $500 and that all his data was gone.

I cloned his failing drive to a brand new 500GB drive and charged him $150, he left with a working machine with all of his data and hasn't called back.
They were specifically told that the drive containing the data was to be unplugged. They did not follow that specific instruction. They gave me the the server back with no data... and the VP of the company himself to me he did the work, and that there was never any data on the drive. He lied, as I had verified the data was infact there, and valid.

It turned out to be a very long day. Their techs gave up. I had to learn how to recover the data myself, with no physical access to the machine. I think I worked 2 days straight on the issue. I did recover the "data the was never there". LOL.

Yeah, I had an ISP customer that lost an entire array. it was raid 5, with 4 online drives and a hot spare. One drive failed, the spare got used, they never called. Then apparently the fan started making noise in the drive cage, so they just unplugged that. I guess since they had already unplugged the fail beeper when the first drive failed that they never heard the drive cages overheat alarm. Cooked two more drives. It was expensive data recovery...

Re: MAJOR PC Problems ... UPDATE!

I'm a bit late with this update, but I think I owe it to all you guys who took the time to offer help & suggestions. Besides, I wanted to run the PC for a few weeks to see if it was indeed fixed.

Well, she's okay now ... and like the ol' PC had told me herself, it was indeed a software problem :doh:. You all might remember in one of my posts I reported an error message saying I had bad software. Turns out Apple Safari was trying to kill my PC! It wasn't my default browser & it had become a bit unstable, mostly noticeable whenever I used it to upload pics to the web. Since that's not often I didn't think anything of it. Anyway, in my frustration I finally uninstalled it - and things have been perfect for about a month now.

Unbe-fricking-lievable!

It wasn't the default. Sometimes I ran it parallel to IE. All I know is whenever I used it, it would act up - I guess the program had somehow become corrupted.

Back