• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Cooling

Why yes. Nippondenso part #: DN13341NA200

It is 200 Amp rated unit. Min produces a solid 190 Amps. For fusing, I installed a 200 Amp fuse at the front of the PDC along with a replacement wire from the Alternator to the fuse. There is a thread, somewhere here, that documents the installation of the fuse.

Works just fine.

In the past, I have attempted to use reworked alternators that claim to be high output units. Without fail, poor results at idle is what I got. This time, I bit the bullet and purchased a new part that is properly assembled.

You can Google the part number to find online suppliers. Expect to pay mid $300s for it.

Hope this helps.

After thought... If the new alternator does not come with the "small" pulley on it, swap over the pulley from your existing unit.

This part can be use on:
(1998-97) Dodge Dakota 2.5L
(1998-91) Jeep Cherokee 2.5L, 4.0L
(1992-91) Jeep Comanche 2.5L, 4.0L
(1998-92) Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L
(1998-91) Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, 4.0L

No worries. As an aside, the Alternator has a 54mm pulley on it. Same size as the stock 90 Amp unit I replaced.

The 5.2L ZJ Alternator and most from V-8 engine equipped vehicles have a larger pulley on the alternator as the pulley at the Vibration Damper (crank) is smaller than what is on our I-6 engines. We need the help from an external balance device...

Pulley diameters are all about controlling the maximum rpm of the alternator.

The 5.2L ZJ Alternator and most from V-8 engine equipped vehicles have a larger pulley on the alternator as the pulley at the Vibration Damper (crank) is smaller than what is on our I-6 engines. We need the help from an external balance device...
The crank pulley on the 5.2L is larger, around 7". It is also removable from the harmonic balancer, so the balancer dimensions don't dictate pulley size on the 5.2L. Stock XJ balancer pulley is 6.375". Stock 5.2L Alt pulley is ~2.25".

Back