• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air injection into exhaust manifold?

okiejeep

NAXJA Forum User
1984 xj running a rebuilt 2.5L 4banger. it drives and the engine is pretty much stock except for a two barrel carb. this is my first jeep and my 'practice' vehicle as I only paid $400 for it. When driving it (especially with the vents on) you can smell exhaust. I looked at the exhaust manifold and there is an open pipe. I looked at a newer xj and there was a hose running from the air intake to the exhaust manifold, at least that is what it looked like from what i could see. is there a hose that runs to the exhaust manifold because as of right now the exhaust is going out the manifold into the engine compartment and out of the manifold down the headers through the exhaust? what am i missing there?

Last edited:
By intake I assume you mean where the air comes into the air filter and not the intake manifold. That isn’t injecting air into the exhaust. It’s drawing air from around the exhaust. It doses this when the engine is cold to get warmer air. When the engine warms up a valve closes and the air come from outside to get cooler air. Have a muffler shop fix the exhaust pipe and your all set. Hope this helps.
Johnny O.

In the 70's they did have air injection pumps for emissions, unmanaged carbureted motors pumped out unburnt hydrocarbons, running a pump off the motor's accessory belts would pump air into the exhaust manifold to burn any of those left over hydrocarbons.

If this was the case, you would have an actual pipe fitting/s on the exhaust manifold to bolt in the air injectors. If there is no opening on the exhaust manifold, then you probably just have air heater for when the motor is cold deal there, just missing the tube from the shroud around the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner intake.

Back