• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Compressor - What do you think?

DaveW

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed this Husky air compressor on sale at Home Depot.
Husky 1.7 Running HP, 26-Gallon Air Compressor Kit Model WL660999AJ (you will have to select the compressor on the age to see specs)
Here are a few specs:
• 5.6/3.8 SCFM @ 40/90 PS
• 26 gallon tank offer large resivoir for extra air storage.
• 150 PSI maximum pressure
• 120 V/15 amps
• 1 year warranty
• Includes 1/2 In. impact wrench, ratchet, air chisel and 3 bits, spray gun, grease gun, 50 Ft. air hose, 25 Pc. accessory kit and sockets.

It looks like a good deal. The retail price of the included tools totals more than the kit price.
My first concern was the size of the motor. Is 1.7 HP.

It will be for home use, air tools to wrench on jeep, car and bicycle tires...

I have not owned a large compressor with air tools and would like some input on this.

ChuckD said:
Should be fine for all your wrench tools. Definitely not enough for any cut tools or grinders. For them you need at least 10cfm's and that would be 220V.

Any grinders would be the smaller ones, 3.5-4 cfm.

Has anyone had experience with Husky air tools.

I don't much like the oilless compressors for shop use. Fine for a portable, but they're not that durable, and they're noisy. This deal is not bad if the tools included are things you actually need, and if they're any good, but give some thought to what you need to use it for. The spray gun is not likely to be up to good body quality, and the grease gun seems kind of silly consdering how few grease fittings we deal with these days.

This one seems in between useful categories, too small for the shop and too big to be portable, but it would probably do a lot of useful work if you're patient.

Matthew Currie said:
I don't much like the oilless compressors
x2.....Look at the compressors that are made by Campbell-Hausefield (sp), they're a cast iron, fully serviceable unit. If it ever fails you, you can rebuild it. The unit you're looking at is 'cheap' at best, and is not designed to last probably as long as you'd like to see. When it fails, it goes into the garbage.

My opinion, I'd pass on this deal and look at a better investment.

Matthew Currie said:
...and they're noisy.

x100 Db

Ingersoll-Rand makes some solid units as well.

TRNDRVR said:
x2.....Look at the compressors that are made by Campbell-Hausefield (sp), they're a cast iron, fully serviceable unit. If it ever fails you, you can rebuild it. The unit you're looking at is 'cheap' at best, and is not designed to last probably as long as you'd like to see. When it fails, it goes into the garbage.

My opinion, I'd pass on this deal and look at a better investment.

Dan, It is made by Campbell-Hausefield.

What they said and I wouldn't expect much from those air tools.
Trust me the difference between I/R and C/H is :flipoff:
I work with 150psi at work and it makes my Craftsman equipment feel barely adequate.

Thanks Guys,

The oiless motor and noise is a concern. I'm only a little woried about the CFM because the use will be low. But that will most likely change once I start using it:)
I'll keep looking.

IMHO the that Husky unit should handle most home garage tasks as well as home repair tasks. (nail guns etc..)

Their tools are thrown in to get you to buy the compressor. The only one that would be somewhat trustworthy would be the ratchet. The rest are pretty low on the food chain.

The compressor has a large enough tank to handle cutting tools but only for SHORT periods, a minute or 2 at most. You'd then have to let it repressurize to use again. Buy a GREAT 1/5 impact wrench. It'll cost as much as that compressor but well worth it. The difference between a $100 one and a $275 I.R. is truly night and day.

For home and garage use, the Husky will serve you well.

Back