• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Agressive A/T tire for under $150/tire?

Re: Wrangler Duratrac vs Cooper Discoverer S/T LT

if 235s are the size, get a set of the bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO2 from discounttiredirect.com Ony 120-something and free shipping!

??? The link had 31x10.5/15, which is what I thought you were looking for.

Oh, you were right, Mike. I am just starting to think that I may have to stay with 235's to save money. But you were absolutely right....I have been shopping for 31s. Just wasn't budgeting $700-$850 for tires on a DD that won't see trails. :(

Re caps CAN be a real pain to balance too. Treadright is better than most but still a pain.

I still say general tires a/t. Even at full boat costs less than the other tires. :dunno:

I still say general tires a/t. Even at full boat costs less than the other tires. :dunno:

I keep running into them and the cost makes me pause when scrolling past them. I have just been so against that type of tread pattern (BFG included) because of the poor snow and mud throwing ability. In other words, they have a history of packing up with mud and snow.

If your XJ is within 2" of stock height and won't see any wheeling, definitely go for the 235/75. You'll have marginally more stable handling, better gas mileage, and save money on the tires themselves. I was getting about 21-22 highway with 235s, dropped to 18 with 30s. But stayed 18 when I lifted it 4.5" up front, and even at 6" (almost) with 30s.

I used to run some treadwright mud terrains. Looked at them again when mine dry rotted out (tread was still great), and the price seemed to go up to the point where they just weren't as good a deal as they used to be.

I keep running into them and the cost makes me pause when scrolling past them. I have just been so against that type of tread pattern (BFG included) because of the poor snow and mud throwing ability. In other words, they have a history of packing up with mud and snow.

Those General tires have the "mountain snowflake" designation, which basically means they're an excellent snow tire. I'm seriously considering the Grabber AT2 tires for my next set. JeepSpeed has also made those tires mandatory for next years race series (IIRC) so they should be pretty damn tough.

OK. I went with the Walmart Goodyear Wrangler Authorities.
0069766209368_500X500.jpg

Walmart sold them to me $608 out the door. They are a snug fit under the 2" of lift. If they had these in the 235 size I probably would have gone with the smaller size for better mpg's. But, I couldn't pass up the $608 out the door price. Especially since everything else I was looking at was either causing me to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery or it still would have cost me $700+ to get tires here then get them mounted.

They ride like they have a stiff sidewall. But that could be my Rough Country cheapo shocks.

Depending on where you get them..
Bridgestone Dueler A/T 695/REVO
best AT tire money can buy aside from the MT/r Kevlars

Other options:
Dayton Timberline A/T
General Grabber AT2

why no maxxis bighorns kinda an agressive a/t mine balance and ride great with very good tread wear and awesome offroad i make a 60 mile commute everyday and they have barely worn in a year.

They are running at 35 psi. I was thinking of dropping the psi because of the 7" rims.
Well at that pressure should net some better mileage.
Are they an LT tire and how thick is the sidewall? If they are like the Duratrac then they come only in LT, which will be stiffer. So I guess air down a lil. Try 30-32psi.

Back