• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Agressive A/T tire for under $150/tire?

firestone has a off brand tire its a primewell the AT that you want is a PA100 i got a set of 31x10.5 for 82.00 each its a great tire for the price and it wears good

I was able to get BFG AT's for about $600 out the door last year. Gotta shop around and negotiate. Plus look for the rebates that come out quite frequently.

Ok....so treadepot.com has Duratracs (31x10.5x15) for $136/tire. My local Goodyear dealership (garage) has quoted $185/tire. I know tradepot.com isn't giving them away....so you are telling me that it is all mark-up? I don't want to go to the mom/pop place and demand they give me the tire at their cost, but dang...$50/tire mark up? I can have them shipped from tradepot.com and the mom/pop place it would be $100 to valve stem/balance/mount a set of tires. That is $730.08 installed. Still way cheaper than what the mom/pop place quoted at $862.51

Ok....so treadepot.com has Duratracs (31x10.5x15) for $136/tire. My local Goodyear dealership (garage) has quoted $185/tire. I know tradepot.com isn't giving them away....so you are telling me that it is all mark-up? I don't want to go to the mom/pop place and demand they give me the tire at their cost, but dang...$50/tire mark up? I can have them shipped from tradepot.com and the mom/pop place it would be $100 to valve stem/balance/mount a set of tires. That is $730.08 installed. Still way cheaper than what the mom/pop place quoted at $862.51

remember, the local shop probably has mounting/balancing included so you gotta factor that in to the price of the "online" tire, since you'll need to get it done.

Show them the price you found online, offer that plus a reasonable amount for mounting/balancing... sounds like their rate is $25 a tire which is fairly normal. At 25/tire it puts you at about 700 including tax.

The worst they can say is no.

Yeh, they said they would mount/balence for $25/tire. If they price match the tire I could walk away at about $640.

Local craigslist lead is very promising. Sending me more pics today. They are less than year old for $300. Just have to see how worn they are. With mounting/balancing I could be looking at $400 out the door.

Wrangler Duratrac vs Cooper Discoverer S/T LT

I have found at treadepot.com the Wrangler Duratrac and the Cooper Discoverer S/T LT (31x10.5x15) for the same price of $136/tire. No shop can touch that locally.

If you have run these tires or have a friend who has run either of these tires, which one would you put on your XJ if they were both in front of you and offered to you for free?

Opinions on treadlife?

Wrangler Duratrac
wdtr.jpg

Cooper Discoverer S/T LT
dstl.jpg

Re: Wrangler Duratrac vs Cooper Discoverer S/T LT

I ran Wrangler Duratrac 33x12.5x15's on my K5 and I absolutely love them. In fact I kept them when I sold the truck and I will be putting them on one of my XJs. The only issue I have had with them is that they tend to "float" on deep fluffy snow but I think that has a lot more to do with the tire size than the tire itself. Dry traction is great and has minimal noise on the road. Wet traction is awesome as well, you have to actually try to break the tires from the pavement. And I've been able to get through mud in 2WD that my 99 Tacoma had trouble with in 4WD. I paid just shy of $900 installed and would gladly pay it again when these are done.

I have the Duratracs on my XJ now and have really enjoyed them over the old BFG AT's I had. They have been quieter then the worn BFG's and track well. Only been off road twice since purchase but they performed quite well. I aired down to about 12lbs and had no issues blowing beads but I think the sidewalls may have been a lil softer then I planned.

i've had the coopers. absolutely the toughest radial tires i've ever seen.
i've had both the s/t's and the stt's. stt's are still my favorite tire in the 30"-33" range for their durability and awesomeness on the trails.
i dd'd them and wheeled the snot out of them, and only had to plug one in 3 years. the stt side tread really gets you through the mud, too.

Last edited:

I don't have any experience with the Cooper tires, but I do with the Duratracs. I had a set on a gas powered 2006 GMC 2500 work truck. The tires performed great in all conditions, but the sidewalls are very soft. The Duratracs only have a 2 ply sidewall. I've got toilet paper with more plies than that! :D If the Duratracs had stronger sidewalls, I would never hesitate to buy them.

I couldn't find any info on how many plies the sidewalls of the Cooper tires had, but if it's more than 2, I would go would go with those. All of the reviews place them as a solid competitor to the Duratracs.

Well, the softer sidewalls are actually a plus for me. I like the softer ride they will give the XJ for my wife and family vehicle. Don't plan on airing them down to rock crawl, nor have them running through anything other than gravel roads, snow covered pavement, wet pavement and dry pavement. I am really going for a tire that I can let my wife drive the kids to school in on a snowy day and not have any doubt that she will have the best traction my thin wallet can provide.

I just took my DuraTracs (245/75R16) through Uwharrie at 26 PSI and love them even more than I did before. Phenomenal traction, both wet and dry, and they hold their own on the trails to say the least. If your car is a DD to any extent, I'd highly, highly recommend the DuraTracs.

I've had the Coop's and they are an awesome tire. I had them in the 31x10.50 flavour. 2 friends ran 'em too and loved 'em. You won't be disappointed. No experience with the Duratracs, but they look like they would be great as well. Either way i think you're good to go. -B

I have owned both of these tires, still running Duratracs currently.
Duratracs are better. I liked the coopers but I have wheeled the durtracs pertty good for over a year and a half and they are way better in mud.
I keep reading all over the web about duratrac sidewalls. I am not sure what everyone is whining about. Not saying they are tough but I have shearedd complete lugs off mine abusing them and have not had a lick of trouble out of the sidewalls.

If you wheel I would buy duratracs, if not buy whatever is cheaper, they are both good tires.

Back