• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

First time seeing this thread for me...

I really like what Goatman wrote in the first post, and I think that's exactly the reason why I'm continuing to build my XJ. I think most of us know here that to do a big XJ build it's a lot more challenging in some respects than something with a frame, or a tube buggy. I've definitely learned that through the course of my build.

So it's getting 39.5s, 1-ton axles, full interior cage, chopped back. Keeping the roof, windshield, and doors (though they are optional, weather permitting). A/C blows colder than my daily driver ZJ does, and the stereo is pretty nice. While I haven't driven it on the road since I started this build, I've taken great pains to ensure that it'll do fine on the road, and I fully plan on driving it around quite a bit once it's done. Including doing a LEGIT state inspection and proper insurance and all that.

So yeah, it's more work, but I love the stupid thing. When it was fully locked on 33's I would regularly make 300-mile round trips on the weekends and run black-rated trails with no problems, and drive it 80 miles a day for work during the week. I miss driving it, I miss wheeling it, and I just want to be done with the stupid build already, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Thanks for the thread concept, Goatman - definitely what I sorta needed to hear as I'm approaching the buildup-burnout stage. :)

Goatman said:
A REAL XJ also has an A/C compressor that is still used to cool air, not pump it.

Mine seems to qualify as a Real XJ except for this part.

My A/C compressor is siezed. In my opinion, that makes mine an extra-real XJ, broken auxillary components. :D

johnlv6 said:
I can look out of my apartment window and see my XJ, therefore it is real.
I'm gona have to agree with this. I have a scar on my finger from my XJ therefore I wasn't dreaming i had an XJ.

Goatman's original post is the reason I chose to build an XJ. After years of flat towing a highly modded CJ around, I wanted something that would be a safe, reliable daily driver, retained it's utility to haul cargo of various types, has climate control including hot, cold, and dry, could haul the wife and kids up in the mountains for some snow wheeling and inner tubing, and would still fit the bill for a demanding day of wheeling in the woods among the mud, roots, and rocks that fill the gaps between the trees. My XJ does all of that. It's a real XJ, and it's a nice break from the CJ.

Oh my gawd!!!!

:gee:

The versatility of the XJ is why I have fallen in love with mine. I just did a 500 mile highway trip with alot of mountain passes, passed a few civics on the way and still pulled in slightly over 25MPG on the trip loaded down with 200lb's of gear in the back.
My setup has allowed me to keep the jeep an economical and stylish (I like to think so anyways) daily driver while still getting me just that much further into the bush than alot of other SUV's on the market could. For the light wheeling I do the LT235 all terrains and small lift are a perfect balance of on/off road ability.

I guess since mine isn't a real Xj since I got my drivetrain from an Zj with a 318 I thought the jeep on the hood was the same jeep on my front end of my 88.

Far as im concerend to be a real xj all you have to have is the original XJ dash, or atleast most of it LOL. Srry Rich. I was raised by Steve LOL

I enjoy my XJ very much because of its driveability. I've lifted it 3", put on a good track bar and long shackles to add flex. I've held off re-gearing (although 3.08's suck on 31's, its still a good driver and 20+ MPG) till I decided if I want to do the 8.8 swap or just re-gear and lock the 8.25. (re-gearing is about $200 and the 8.8 w/ discs is $200) I think its a real XJ, its not as cool as Randy's on 6" with 35's, D44 front, locked F/R and caged, but I like it!

well, it looks like an XJ should have come.....
DSCN1149JPGplatesmuge.jpg

Last edited:
Goatman said:
Well now, Eagle, I have to disagree. To me, the concept of a REAL XJ is keeping it's utilitarian function, or "doing everything well" purpose. It makes no difference what motor is in there. In fact, if a V8 swap increases the drivability and doesn't hurt trail performance, or even adds towing capacity, that's a perfect REAL XJ modification......as long as the rest of the drivetrain and suspension can handle it. :)

Member RXJC ;) :D :D

No..it must have a AMC/Jeep Engine. :)
keep your jeep running on a Jeep engine

OK. I just couldn't leave this one alone.:scottm:

Long story short. In 1941 Willys Overland answered the military's call for a small general purpose vehicle. A few changes and.......the Jeep was born. To this day these vehicles are the escense (spelling?) of "Jeep"

All things Jeep seemed to branch into two succesful directions, the CJ's into Wranglers and the full size Wagoneer / Cherokee into the smaller Wagoneer / Cherokee. The XJ model ran production for almost 20 years, making it the longets produced Jeep vehicle with the fewest overall design changes.

The XJ, the "omnijeep". Although it was just about never the best vehicle at any one particular function, it is real good at just about all of them. Mall or ccrawl the XJ is tearin it up.

A "real" XJ has to be able to do everything you need it to, depending on what your "adventure" is. Surf fishing on the Outer Banks, swimmin the mud in the Everglades or dragging it self over the rocks of Moab. It can almost be defined regionaly. But when it is all done and over that same XJ has to have gotten there and back under its own power and still be practical enough to get you to work and the kids to school on time on Monday.

Keep the lift as small as you can for your intended purpose. make up for it with good armor and axles. Drive smarter rather rather than harder and you may even score us some converts.

Just remember it is all about what YOU need YOUR XJ to do. Where is YOUR adventure?

One more thing....... It's an off-road thing. Sometimes us "Jeep" people need to understand.

Back