• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

+
taco.png

=
P1030935.jpg

sorry....the temptation was too great:yelclap:
To me a real xj is something that can be easily daily driven but can still be abused on the weekend and can overcome any trail you dare to attempt.

My real XJ will taking form soon. Right now it is a bone stock Forest Service surplused 98 green goober. Great shape and factory tight for its 80000+ miles. I will be adding 31's and a 3.5 inch lift, swapping to a quality front and rear bumper set. Then probably doing some engine mods and maybe getting rid of the d35 later. Who knows from there, the sky is the limit with an XJ. It will eventually be taking me and fandamily to play in Utah and will be rquired to haul all of the gear needed for camping a trip in the desert. Mods or not I figure it is an XJ and a real one at that.

This thread has got to be in the top 5 threads for getting brought back from the dead the most.
you assume it ever died. i think it more likely went to sleep:spin3::party:

I wonder how many real XJs will be in Moab?

Reading the description of a real XJ on the first page has me wondering if I still have a real XJ. I figure a real XJ is simply a canvas for the proverbial brush. A well designed and built Cherokee is art and a real XJ by definition.

The I-6 is a very good light motor

I think the I6 weights 515 lbs... which if I'm not mistaken is pretty heavy for a 6cyl. Many iron V8's weight that much or only slightly more (less than 600 lbs). I still wouldn't swap out my 4.0 though.

Edit: man, I just realized how old this thread is! I got to the bottom of page 1 and did a reply/quote only to realize this thread is 15 pages of resurrection posts! apologies ;)

Last edited:
I know it's an ancient thread, but after reading through it, my wife's wj is a real xj and my xj is not. My xj has no doors, welded 44 in front and a welded 60 rear. It's still driven on the street, but I wouldn't let anyone else do so. The wj on the other hand runs an Aussie in the rear 44, 3.73 gears on 35's, doors, ac, leather, seat heaters, and with the v8 it is still pretty quick for its size. Driven to and from trails such as the dusy and the rubicon, serves daily driver duty when the f250 is tied up elsewhere, about the only thing it could use to be more street able is swaybars reinstalled.

Well, it's not too old for a RX7 mod to pm me about my comments in 2003. I said an XJ wasn't an XJ if it had an off brand engine transplant, like a Chevy 350. Apparently, he disagreed.

The essence of a car is what the original designers and makers put it together with. You can disagree and change it, sure. There are apparently RX7's getting 350's now with their own sub forum to deal with the complexities.

However, the standard response from the public has been to discount the practice, literally. The price of the running frankenstein is usually a reflection of it's basic value as if it were a pile of parts. Research a few other 350 hybrids and you quickly see the point - 350 in a Jag? 350 in a Mercedes Benz?

What it really points out is that someone with not much cash, imagination, or skill is now thinking of butchering their rig. The harsh reality is that project cars like that line the back yards and farm fields of America, only to be scrapped years later. They don't even last long enough to become barn finds. They weren't respected enough when the motor came out, the owner doesn't suddenly get remorse and puts them right years later. They get sold and crushed - the room is needed for the next Frankenstein that died on the operating table.

350 swaps rank right along with the guy who wants a restored price for his junker Hudson on the fence line. Someone is clearly out of touch with reality, and nothing good will come of it.

Having to defend your view ten years later - ah, the internet. Who knew?

Heck of a thread!

Wow this one really is dug up hehe.

Good thread though, and really has a good point aside from all the discussion.

People like us (as in we build, we mod, we break, we learn) have to walk a fine line to truly get the most out of our vehicles. Not enough prep and we can't do what we want, too much and we aren't able to get the full use of it anymore.

My '71 Scamp taught me this lesson all too well. Sure, when I was done it was a fire breathing beast with a license plate, but it was an expensive PITA for anything but 1/4 mile track or short local drives to shows. I missed driving it out of town and the cops hated it!

I learned that lesson - so yes, I get what the essence of a REALXJ is and am 110% satisfied with where I called "Enough!" on my own.

As for motors, I try to build what I've got first! :viking:

i think its a thing with age, years ago i had a holden monaro, (same sort of thing as a camaro ) i modded the daylights out of it, as i got older i started to return it to stock, and regretted what i had put that car through. i now have an XJ cherokee and '94 model something of aa rarity in australia, plenty of '95,s on, i have a modest lift in it and now try to keep it original.

i also agree with the transplant story, i had a project car i bought off a guy who bought off another guy, and i had it and tinkered with it for 6 years until i sold it to another guy who thinks he,s going to make something of it.

unless you are building a strictly race/off road vehicle, im a big fan of not getting to carried away with the mods, and chopping up a street registered car

In it's basic character, I see the XJ as a reliable off roader that maintains street driveability that can be driven all 4 seasons. AC, heat, cargo space, 4 seats, 4wd, & a roof. Making big sacrifices to any part of it, MPG included, makes it less of an XJ and more of a custom. not a bad thing, I'm just sayin' the XJ wasn't an extreme vehicle in the first place.
I'd really dig the Super Sport model, stroked & running Lokka lockers w/ 30 or 31" tires...

I wonder how many real XJs will be in Moab?

Mine...
Full body, AC, cruise, UNcut hinges, 33's small lift, locked front ls rear.....I believe that fits the "real xj"parameters.

Last edited:
Back