• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

bought my 89xj in 1990, its still my DD although it has 4.5" lift. money spent on the lift, 4.10 gears, wheels/tires and other maintenance is still cheaper than 1 year of car payments on a new vehicle. havent had a car/bank payment on my jeep in 13 years.

Emissions equipment.

I love new trucks, new gadets, new blinking things, and the smell of something made recently. Which is why I sold my new truck in favor of saving money so I can spend it on my battlewagon ;)
I love my '88, I love it so much I am giving it a new motor and a brand new suspension to go with it's "bling-bling" black knock-out rims! There is nothing more fun than having an XJ that is infinitely modifiable (did I spell that right?) Heck even the love nudges in the sheet metal make it more sexy than an Hummer stuck in the mud. Anyone notice how the H3 really looks like an XJ?
I firmly belive the "real" XJ has to be matched with its ultimate add on... the crazy, junkyard dreaming, weld-o-matic, Jeep fanatic driver. Who else dreamed up the 4.7 to 5.0 I6 motors some of us get crazy and build.
I will tell you how the 5.0 turns out after christmas wen I install it!! I want all the V8's feel sick when they hear that baby roar!

'88, 180k miles, 3.5" lift, junkyard special 33's, removable doors (thanks to a post from this site on how to do it!), AW4, NP 242, D30 and D44, and a custom inflateable mattress for inside when I go camping! Along with a Sat Tv system, DVD player, Garmin....... The things you buy when your not spending 1000 bucks on the new vehicle/insurance/gas every month!

Mikes012.jpg
Here's a real XJ for ya hits every hole and takes me to work every day

Bet your neighbors hate you when you wash that mud off.

I have what I call a "real XJ."

Its a 1985, has the I-4, dana 30/35, and is mostly stock. The only thing I've modded on it is that I put a 3 inch lift and some 28'' all terrain tires on Crager Soft 8's. It does good on the trails, and it gets me from my house to my school and back, and places inbetween every week, monday through friday. On the weekends, its my toy. I go have fun with it, and come back and it takes me where I need to go.

Last edited:
i believe mine is a "Real" one... stock with 30x9.50's
180,000 miles from The beaches of Cape Hatteras, to the snow covered, mud saturated mountains here at home, to the depths of the New River with water running in the door sills and wahing WAY over the hood!!!

GOD I LOVE MY JEEP

Photography014.jpg

IMG_1611edit.jpg

CapeHatterasSpring2008113.jpg

Real XJ is an XJ that can be driven 400 miles each way on a moments notice at any speed and be taken offroad at a moments notice :D Oh yeah... and the AC works in it too :) (if originaly equipped with it that is)

I guess I own a real XJ...(albiet stock and short)
3024245_29_full.jpg

Mine goes from on to offroad in the blink of an eye, and looks good doin' it (AND the A/C works!!).

The Borla exhaust turns heads as well. I had one of the guys at a local shops ask me if I had put a V8 in it. I popped the hood and proved that it's just the lowly RENIX 4.0L Stand up six......
DivShare File - MIC-2008-03-16_13h56m43s.wav

Oh, and BTW, it is really that loud inside (I have no carpet or sound proofing on the floor, so ALL the noise comes through), it's not feedback...

Last edited:
Thank you!!

It's unique among XJ's seeing as the 4dr out sold the 2dr 3 to 1.....

It's still got some of the Forest service junk too. No radios, but the holes are there, as well as the wiring for the spot light.....

Eagle said:
You just said it all. We're supposed to add to this? :cool: :confused: :cool:

Well, I will add one thought: a REAL XJ has an American Motors-designed I-4 or I-6 engine -- not a Chevy 350 (or any other) V-8, with the possible exception of the AMC V-8s that most of you youngsters don't even know about.

right on! Us old Bastards remember!

Cipey

You just said it all. We're supposed to add to this? :cool: :confused: :cool:

Well, I will add one thought: a REAL XJ has an American Motors-designed I-4 or I-6 engine -- not a Chevy 350 (or any other) V-8, with the possible exception of the AMC V-8s that most of you youngsters don't even know about.

Supposedly the 4.7 mopar v8 is the "AMC gen-III" engine they were developing. Also the Mopar 318 (5.2) and 360 (5.9) 'magnum' heads in the 90s used a lot of design features of the AMC 'dogleg' heads.

not bad for a 'youngster' who came around in 1985, huh?:yap:
-Matt

Supposedly the 4.7 mopar v8 is the "AMC gen-III" engine they were developing. Also the Mopar 318 (5.2) and 360 (5.9) 'magnum' heads in the 90s used a lot of design features of the AMC 'dogleg' heads.

not bad for a 'youngster' who came around in 1985, huh?:yap:
-Matt
Even if he is almost 6 yrs late with his reply...;)

does my Jeep qualify as a REAL XJ? Taking an 86XJ and swaping all the guts from a 93XJ into it?

finish the swap... stand across the yard... call its name... and if comes to you... its still a Real XJ

does my Jeep qualify as a REAL XJ? Taking an 86XJ and swaping all the guts from a 93XJ into it?
I think the more you swap JY parts into your XJ the more it is a real XJ. The majority of XJ's actually used for wheeling have some or alot of swapped parts in them to improve their capabilities. I think any XJ that has the majority of the original sheetmetal and can drive to the trail, wheel all day then get you home is a real XJ regardless of what parts it runs.

I think the more you swap JY parts into your XJ the more it is a real XJ. The majority of XJ's actually used for wheeling have some or alot of swapped parts in them to improve their capabilities. I think any XJ that has the majority of the original sheetmetal and can drive to the trail, wheel all day then get you home is a real XJ regardless of what parts it runs.

agreed... it's the more 'practical' Jeep that's still fun to wheel!

Would a hole cut in the roof and a canvas roof (kinda like some new libertys) qualify for a 'real xj'? I plan on keeping the stock roof reinforcements, or possibly reinforcing them and the 'frame' to avoid needing a cage- which would not be good for DD-ability.

Back