• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Overhead Consol Wiring

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
What is the best and easiest way to run wires for switches and such uo to the overhead console in a 1990 XJ? Any problems associated with adding switches up there?

Have you considered the o/h console from a conversion van? They are very common in the junkyards, and most of them still have the switches in the consoles. You can get a wide variety of styles and materials. As for the install in your '90, I had to put a strip of metal up above the headliner in my '88 to help hold the consoles' weight, and to make it easier to mount. I even found a set of 4 switches that are amber, AND had circuit breakers instead of fuses, like most of those panels use. Also, above the headliner, just watch for the wires for your lights, or console if you have one, nad be careful of making too big a hole in the headliner. When you run the wiring, you can go behind the trim plate on the driver's side of the A-pillar (2 screws behind the little plugs), and then along the front of the headliner. Be careful not to pull it down too hard or far, otherwise it will break/tear. You may have to take off the trim across the top of the driver's door to get the liner to come down enough to work the wiring into place. Hope this helps. Ren

Last edited:
it's not hard at all just remove the sunglasss holder and garage door opener spot and bend a switch panel. should look like this when your done, or close too it i still need to build the panel out of something stronger than plastic and build a better mounting system cause you can see how bad it sags, but you get the idea.

808664_14_full.jpg

Dingo

Holy switches batman! I added my KC light switches and backup light ones up there but put them in the spot between the sunglass deal and temp guage. I ran the wires behind the plastic deal on the piller on the drivers side. It was pretty easy but getting the overhead console back on is a PITA. After a few times it gets easier. If it sags at all and not tight up against the roof then you havent gotten it seated right. Take it off and try again. Jeff

CamoXJeep said:
Holy switches batman! I added my KC light switches and backup light ones up there but put them in the spot between the sunglass deal and temp guage. I ran the wires behind the plastic deal on the piller on the drivers side. It was pretty easy but getting the overhead console back on is a PITA. After a few times it gets easier. If it sags at all and not tight up against the roof then you havent gotten it seated right. Take it off and try again. Jeff

The console itself doesn't sag just the switch panel itself, you can see it very clearly in the pic

Dingo

Hey, are you cleared for take-off on any run-ways yet? Seriously, though, doesn't look too bad. I don't have any o/h consoles in any of my stuff, so I thought maybe He would like to know how to run wiring, then I relized after I posted that he already had a console. Read twice, post once, yeah?

Back