• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS light on with ABS not working

seg501

NAXJA Forum User
My ABS light is and ABS is not working. How can I fix this issue? I have to get my Jeep inspected in a few weeks and it will not pass without this taken care of. Please help

The first thing to do is inspect the ABS sensors and wires at each tire. Remove the tire and make sure the sensor wires are undamaged and the sensors are in their correct locations. If the sensors are not in the proper orientation and location, they will not "see" the tone rings. Make sure there is no gunk on the sensors or the tone rings. Make sure the tone rings are not damaged.

The first thing to do would actually be to pull the codes to see what area of the abs system has the problem.

You didn't mention the year (typical) but all the later model xj's will store codes if there's an abs problem.

Depending on the year it may report the errors via OBD II when he gets inspected, which would fail him.

And yes - pulling OBD II codes will tell you the general vicinity of the issue the ABS computer is detecting, which is a great start towards fixing it.

Remove ABS fuse, Remove light bulb. That ABS is crap anyway. I went wheeling without disabling it once and almost ran into someone because the ABS wouldn't let me stop.

I will have someone pull the codes on it. It's a 99 XJ Limited. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the abs. I'm going to mess around with it a bit this weekend to see if I can make it go away

Back