• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS not working but no ABS light

Winterhawk

NAXJA Forum User
Had to do a panic stop to avoid a deer on my 96 XJ. I missed the deer, but it was obvious I had no ABS. Logic says that the ABS was disconnected, there is something wrong in the ABS system, or the ABS light burned out.

First things first, the ABS relays and fuses and all sensor wires are still in place and it still has the Dana 35 rear diff. No fuses blown.

Decided to check the ABS warning bulb and sure enough it was burned out. Put new bulb in and as you expect when starting the engine the light came on and stayed on. However so did the check engine light! Did a scan and there are no codes so not sure why the check engine light came on when I put a new ABS bulb in. Is this common?

I called around locally and no one said they could get the ABS codes for me, so I guess I'll just methodically try and check all the parts. Hopefully it's just dirt etc on the sensors.

Best place to start?

You have to have a high dollar scanner to get into sub-codes like "ABS".

WInterhawk,

Were the brake lines, at the ABS, ever disconnected, i.e. to install SS brake lines or to replace original brake lines?

Best regards,

CJR

Find a shop with a snap on obd2 scanner or equivalent. They can pull ABS codes. Some higher end consumer code readers can pull the abs codes too (actron, etc iirc).

Simplest place to start is at the abs wheel speed sensors. I’d be willing to bet there is a short in the wiring or filings on the magnet (common issue with all ABS systems). Pull connectors and check for corrosion on the pins in the plugs. Spray with some good electronics cleaner and dab some dielectric grease on them, reassemble. Check continuity with a multimeter on both vehicle harness and wheel speed sensor harness. Replace sensors if necessary.

Grab a can or 3 of brake cleaner and spray the hell out of the tone rings and wheel speed sensor magnet.

Barring that, you could do a full bleed of the system with fresh brake fluid if its been awhile/never been done.

Not familiar with the Heep abs setup, but next step would be to locate the ABS control module and clean/dielectric the connections there. It could very well be that the module has gone out also (i’ve worked with some systems that are known for cold solder joints in the circuit board at the harness plug that will set a code, and caused all sorts of strange issues...volvo 850 cars were notorious for is, would set CEL/tracs/abs light off).

Missing teeth on the tone rings can cause things to go wonky. Double check while in there cleaning.

codename 99 problems: Daily driver/tow rig build thread

My BlueDriver OBD unit can pull ABS codes on newer cars, not sure about on the XJ, but at $100 its a good deal.
First, thanks to everyone for the replies. I made a few more phone calls and found one shop that would scan my XJ for $150 and would waive the fee if they did the work. I politely declined.

As to the BlueDriver and other scanners that claim they work on to recover ABS codes. Well I might give one a try. If it can narrow it down it's worth my time to get one. I have an OBDII scanner already, but it's 10 years old and works fine for my needs except it doesn't scan ABS or SRS. I don't need SRS so I'm planning to check out some under $200 scanners that claim to recover ABS codes. Most advertise they work on most 96+ cars but there's lot's of reviews that say it didn't work. Anyone have real worl success with one of these?

I'll report back in the next week if I buy one and the results. In the mean time I'll start looking for obvious issues this weekend.

If you have a vo tech or community college locally that teaches automotive repair, give them a call and ask if they can scan it... its significantly cheaper usually and a good learning experience for the kids.

Or make friends with the guys at the local autozone and find out which one is an auto enthusiast...their in house scanners are garbage that never connect and theres a good chance one of the workers there has a higher end scanner with them for those “tough to read” cars 😉

$150 for 2 min of work is ridiculous 😏

codename 99 problems: Daily driver/tow rig build thread

Never ceases to amaze me how tolerant XJ ABS sensors are of old, dirty, worn &/or damaged tone rings. I have found the ABS light being triggered is nearly always the sensor wire (just a different resistance in one is enough) &, fortunately, a scanner will identify which one is the problem. However, if it's going to cost $100+ must just as well replace all 4 & have done with it.

I say nearly always, because I do have a fault with my '98 in that occasionally the ABS light stays on on start-up & sometimes it will come on when idling for any length of time but all I have to do is cycle the ignition a couple of times & that's the problem solved for, probably, a month.

First, thanks to everyone for the replies. I made a few more phone calls and found one shop that would scan my XJ for $150 and would waive the fee if they did the work. I politely declined.

As to the BlueDriver and other scanners that claim they work on to recover ABS codes. Well I might give one a try. If it can narrow it down it's worth my time to get one. I have an OBDII scanner already, but it's 10 years old and works fine for my needs except it doesn't scan ABS or SRS. I don't need SRS so I'm planning to check out some under $200 scanners that claim to recover ABS codes. Most advertise they work on most 96+ cars but there's lot's of reviews that say it didn't work. Anyone have real worl success with one of these?

I'll report back in the next week if I buy one and the results. In the mean time I'll start looking for obvious issues this weekend.

I have used my BlueDriver to pull ABS codes on a 2015 Subaru Forester, and a 2013 Ford Edge. I have used it to pull regular codes on my 01 XJ. It has not seen any ABS codes on the XJ when checking, but I also dont have any signs of ABS issues.

Back