• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Abandoned XJ (NH)

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
How hard would it be to re-key an XJ?

As some of you know, I have been looking around for an MJ or XJ to replace my burnt up '87. My mechanic has had an '89 Laredo out back for a little over a year now. I asked him about it, and was told that the owner had left it there and wasn't interested in fixing it, keys are missing. Anyway, it was a loaded '89 4door with power windows, seats, Select-trac, sunroof...etc Took a quick look around it and didn't see any major rust issues (some minor). Had 235k miles on it, and smells moldy. Mechanic wants it out of the storage area.

Another he has is a nice running '92 Sport 4.0 with Command-trac 150k miles, but needs rocker and floor repair. He hadn't mentioned them to me because they are both auto's and he knows I am looking for a standard. $500 for the Sport, probably a cheap haul it away price for the Laredo.

ANy opinions in the autos?

Thanks

copperhead said:
How hard would it be to re-key an XJ?

As some of you know, I have been looking around for an MJ or XJ to replace my burnt up '87. My mechanic has had an '89 Laredo out back for a little over a year now. I asked him about it, and was told that the owner had left it there and wasn't interested in fixing it, keys are missing. Anyway, it was a loaded '89 4door with power windows, seats, Select-trac, sunroof...etc Took a quick look around it and didn't see any major rust issues (some minor). Had 235k miles on it, and smells moldy. Mechanic wants it out of the storage area.

Another he has is a nice running '92 Sport 4.0 with Command-trac 150k miles, but needs rocker and floor repair. He hadn't mentioned them to me because they are both auto's and he knows I am looking for a standard. $500 for the Sport, probably a cheap haul it away price for the Laredo.

ANy opinions in the autos?

Thanks
Take 'em both. It shouldn't cost too much for you to tow the Laredo away, and $500 for that Sport seems like a pretty good deal. You can strip whatever you want off the Laredo and then (for the Sport) just fix the floors and box your rockers while you're at it. Just my $0.02...

re-keying by a locksmith? i have no idea but i'd expect over $100 at least. i have no idea. probably be best to just install a new ignition cylinder because the old ones wear out anyways.

You could just replace the entire steering column.

Thanks for the suggestons,

I will probably have more infor on the '89 next week. I know the Sport has a title, the '89 should, but I think it's now old enough not to in NH. If I pass on them, I'll post up more info as I get it for those who are interested.

the 89 may have separate ignition and door keys fyi. f the ignition key, bypass it to a pushbutton on the console and keep the doors locked. If the deal is as you say, and you pass on these, you're a fool. cheers

the_cheif said:
the 89 may have separate ignition and door keys fyi. f the ignition key, bypass it to a pushbutton on the console and keep the doors locked. If the deal is as you say, and you pass on these, you're a fool. cheers

My '87 had the seperate keys and my wifes 93 had the single, wasn't sure when they switched. I had a friend who switched his car over to a on/off switch and push button. Always liked that set up. As far as me being a fool, it wouldn't be the first time I was accused of that :D What it is comming down to now, is me not having enough space in the drive for them or finding an alternative storrage area until I can get more space in the garage come spring.

copperhead said:
My '87 had the seperate keys and my wifes 93 had the single, wasn't sure when they switched. I had a friend who switched his car over to a on/off switch and push button. Always liked that set up. As far as me being a fool, it wouldn't be the first time I was accused of that :D What it is comming down to now, is me not having enough space in the drive for them or finding an alternative storrage area until I can get more space in the garage come spring.
I'm not sure what year they switched either. My 87 has separate keys. American Motors used GM steering columns in those years, including 88 I believe when Chrysler purchased AMC. I wouldn't think it took but a year for Chrysler to retool and start using their own steering columns.

In hind sight, I would have had the ignition cylinder replaced when I had the three bolts inside the tilt column replaced had I known. I hate taking apart these columns!

MY 89 MJ has seperate keys. The 89 XJ I had had seperate keys. My 90 YJ had seperate keys. I worked on a 92 the other day that had a single key though. I'm guessing 92 was the transition year.

CMNCHE said:
MY 89 MJ has seperate keys. The 89 XJ I had had seperate keys. My 90 YJ had seperate keys. I worked on a 92 the other day that had a single key though. I'm guessing 92 was the transition year.
Just for my own curiosity, did the 90 have the round GM column too, or did it have a different column?

ajpulley said:
Just for my own curiosity, did the 90 have the round GM column too, or did it have a different column?

my 90 has the GM column. the cylinder is worn so badly that the key just falls out!! and if i lock the column it takes 5 minutes to wigggle the key just right to unlock it again! :mad:

sidriptide said:
my 90 has the GM column. the cylinder is worn so badly that the key just falls out!! and if i lock the column it takes 5 minutes to wigggle the key just right to unlock it again! :mad:
Mine was like that too! Got to the point I could pull the key out while driving. I finally found one of the origanal AMC copies I had in great shape and it works great. By the looks of the key, it was worse than the cylinder. Tumblers must be made of something harder than the keys.

The door locks still suck though.

I did not read this thread so there is a good chance this has already been covered...

Keys: Change the ignition cylinder and take one of the lock cylinders (door or hatch) to a lock smith and they'll make a key from it. That way you get both door locks, the hatch lock, and the glvoe box lock working.

As for titling these vehicles. The owner of the property can do a lein sale, basically they inform the DMV of the vehicle and their intent to sell it, the DMV says wait a bit, issues a letter to the previous owner on file. That owner either claims the vehicle (which would suck..), ignores the letter, or gives it up. Then the property owner can sell it to you with a clear title.

I'm assuming your state's laws are similiar to California for lein sales, I just researched this for CA a couple weeks ago (for a $500 '88 ;) )

Back