• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Aurora Reverse lights Install

CMK4425

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and searched for someone that has installed the Aurora lights in a 97-01 Cherokee and haven't found anybody. I just scored some at the pull-a-part and would love to know if I am going to have any problems.

That looks really neat... never said that about a lighting mod before, most of them seem pretty useless to me but this seems like a good idea.

As for what you might run into on a 97+ - not sure, pull the plastic lining off the hatch and take a gander at it, scratch your head a bit, drink some beer, hold the lights up to it and you should figure things out pretty fast. I'd watch out for the wiper motor and latch mechanisms (not sure where they live on a 97+) but other than that you should be pretty much in the clear. Make sure your speakers have enough clearance too - if there are speakers in the hatch on a 97+.

im pretty sure GO-Jeep did a writeup on it. it was definately done on a <96. let me check

FOUND IT: http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoReverseLights.htm

what i plan on doing is somehow running these $10 Northern Tool lights on either side of the plate on a 97+

18816_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_352681_352681

Last edited:
May want to PM PhotographerMike .. he has them on his 96 (not newer hatch, but could probably get you going to the proper direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen it done in a 97+... The reason people put them in the older models is because it fits so well in that part of the hatch. In the 97+ models, it would probably require cutting a lot of metal and It probably won't look as good because the different shape of the hatch.

I was gonna do this but ended up getting a tire carrier bumper.

I still think it would look good, in theory you could always place a set in front of the rear hatch and get an idea of how it may look.

I was walking through the pick and pull today to grab some u-joint straps and I just happened to look over and I found one of these. Pulled it off brought it home and it looks like it will fit perfectly. There is nothing on the backside of the hatch that will interfere with it (94 cherokee). I plan on doing this very soon, but I am an electrical retard so it will probably take longer then it should. Let me know if anyone has actually done this before.

I was walking through the pick and pull today to grab some u-joint straps and I just happened to look over and I found one of these. Pulled it off brought it home and it looks like it will fit perfectly. There is nothing on the backside of the hatch that will interfere with it (94 cherokee). I plan on doing this very soon, but I am an electrical retard so it will probably take longer then it should. Let me know if anyone has actually done this before.

Uh, you didn't read the title did you? There is a lot of stuff in a 97+ hatch that is in the way. Thats one reason I didn't do this mod. Its easy from what i hear on the older models.

Uh, you didn't read the title did you? There is a lot of stuff in a 97+ hatch that is in the way. Thats one reason I didn't do this mod. Its easy from what i hear on the older models.
What is "a lot of stuff" that is in the way if I may ask. From my understanding this has not been confirmed as to if/how they will fit.
As stated pre96 has been done several times.. PM PhotographerMike

Back