• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 up Auto trans gear control: Montana Fab

So would simply lifting the diagnostic pins from the power switch eliminate the check engine light when doing the manual shifter? The P0700 trouble code set in the ECU means the TCU has codes stored, which would imply they are kept in that eeprom as well.

I can try checking that if I can sandbox the TCU I have - I'm going back tomorrow morning for another one, and at our local junkyard's all-you-can-carry I intend to get at least four 97+ TCUs and 3-4 pre-97 TCUs to play around with along with some ECUs. If you read the SI-5154 datasheet from Sanken you might be able to figure this out just as well as I can (you know way more about transmissions than I do...) - you will want to look at the wiring for pins 2 (input drive signal) 3 (output signal) and 4 (DIAG signal). It looks like I'm not going to be able to figure out what the triple schmitt trigger inverter is for (I suspect it is linked to the output signals somehow) until I try to shave the board down, so that'll have to wait till I can get another TCU tomorrow.

Another thing I really want to do is figure out if the non-populated positions in the connector can be used for something or if they're an engineering debug port or something. Some of them appear to have traces on layers 2 and 3 going to them, but I can't quite make them out because my light table sucks and I haven't even tried to shave the board yet. What I'd really like to do is figure out if the I2C port on the microcontroller that's used to talk to the 24C02 can possibly be expanded to include some sort of display on the dashboard and/or a remote input setup that can override what the TCU would normally do - if I can get a programming adapter for the microcontroller I'm going to see how much it'd take to simply reimplement everything in it, and add cool features with any remaining space.

EDIT: to actually answer your question (oops) it looks like in normal operation the DIAG output of the SI-5154 exactly mirrors the input signal. When the load is open the diag output is high no matter what the input is, and when the load is shorted and/or the chip is overheating, the diag output is low no matter what the input is. When in normal operation the drive output also mirrors the input signal. So it seems to me that the easy way to fake the TCU into thinking all is well is to cut pin 4 on each of the SI-5154s and wire pins 2 and 4 of each SI-5154 together on the bottom of the board, and possibly fake something with the readback of the output pin as well if that's monitored.

EDIT2: it looks like my conjecture about the drivers simply monitoring existence of a load is correct (they only have short/open detect, they can't actually tell how much current is being drawn.) However, looking at the spec sheet they are rated for only slightly more current than the solenoids draw, so your point about using a make-before-break switch is also entirely correct - doubling the current, even momentarily, would risk blowing up the driver transistor. I wonder what magic is contained in the montana fab board that gets around this issue...

EDIT3: further update to parts list - the diode clamps used on the CCD bus lines are NXP PZM15NB2 (11-15 volt zeners) with a top package branding of 152 on a SOT346 package. They are probably there just to keep the NXP 04833637 CCD bus transceiver from being zapped by accidental overvoltage on the bus. http://tkb-4u.com/codes-and-markings/smd-codes-markings/database was VERY useful in determining this.

Last edited:
(was going to be an edit, ran out of time) both pink wires (positions 14 & 25) appear to be the normal pink in XJs, always-hot power. Solenoid power is drawn from position 26, a blue/white wire however. Near as I can tell, common ground is used for logic and solenoid power, on position 24 (black/tan.) Most of this pinout I should probably get from the FSM but I'm interested in seeing how much I can deduce from what things are wired to instead of just looking it up.

That's all for tonight, hopefully will have time to work on this more tomorrow/day after (will be sitting in a courthouse waiting for my traffic case to be called all day the day after tomorrow, so bet on it... :D)

Since you want to play, I won't list the whole pin-out(came with the controller instructions)
But I will confirm:
pin 24 is the common ground.
pin 25, always hot(fused)
pin 26 ignition switched power(fused)

pin 14 - nope! :D

:roflmao: thanks for the confirmation... now I'm REALLY confused by pin 14, it's pink, I guess chrysler doesn't really like color codes all that much? I'll have to trace it and figure out where it goes, I just saw a big wide trace on layer 2/3 and figured it was the same color so it must be a second pin for more current capability, like the ones on the OHC wiring.

According to the pinout chart I have, pin 14 is " SCI transmit/ISO 9141K " - whatever that means.

Here's the full set. May be helpful:

pin - color - function
1 - Vt/LG - Input speed sensor ground
2 - Rd/Bk - Input speed sensor signal
3 - DB/Bk - Output speed sensor ground
4 - LG/Wt - Output speed sensor signal
5 - no info/blank
6 - Wt/Bk - CCD buss (-)
7 - Vt/Br - CCD buss (+)
8 - No info/blank
9 - Vt - TRS 3 sense
10 - no info/blank
11 - DB/Wt - TCC solenoid control
12 - Wt - Solenoid 1 control
13 - Or/Wt - Solenoid 2 control
14 - Pk - SCI Transmit/ISO 9141K
15 - No info/blank
16 - Br/Yl - TPS ground
17 - Or/DB - Throttle position sensor signal
18 - Br/LG - TRS R sense
19 - No info/blank
20 - No info/blank
21 - Vt/Wt - TRS 1-2 sense
22 - LG/Bk - TRS OD sense
23 - Wt/Pk - Brake switch sense
24 - Bk/Tn - Power ground
25 - PK - Fused (B+)
26 - DB/Wt Fused ignition switch output

Here's the full set. May be helpful:

pin - color - function
1 - Vt/LG - Input speed sensor ground
2 - Rd/Bk - Input speed sensor signal
3 - DB/Bk - Output speed sensor ground
4 - LG/Wt - Output speed sensor signal
5 - no info/blank
6 - Wt/Bk - CCD buss (-)
7 - Vt/Br - CCD buss (+)
8 - No info/blank
9 - Vt - TRS 3 sense
10 - no info/blank
11 - DB/Wt - TCC solenoid control
12 - Wt - Solenoid 1 control
13 - Or/Wt - Solenoid 2 control
14 - Pk - SCI Transmit/ISO 9141K
15 - No info/blank
16 - Br/Yl - TPS ground
17 - Or/DB - Throttle position sensor signal
18 - Br/LG - TRS R sense
19 - No info/blank
20 - No info/blank
21 - Vt/Wt - TRS 1-2 sense
22 - LG/Bk - TRS OD sense
23 - Wt/Pk - Brake switch sense
24 - Bk/Tn - Power ground
25 - PK - Fused (B+)
26 - DB/Wt Fused ignition switch output
Hmmm. That explains pretty well why pins 1-4 go into a pair of very similar circuits near the chip marked C177 (each involves two fairly high power SMT resistors, a 6.8k and a 10k, along with a few ceramic capacitors and some 47uF electrolytics.) It also verifies my CCD bus placement (not hard, two wires were twisted together... differential pair for sure) and verifies the 3 pins I was musing about likely controlling the solenoids, since they have large traces connected to them on layer #2 (as does pin 2 of each SI-5154, pointing in the rough direction of the connector.)

Any idea what "TRS 3 sense" does? It, along with TRS 1-2, TRS OD, TRS R suggest that it has something to do with the NSS to me. They all seem to lead off to a set of passive components connected to the CD4049s, which makes sense.

Brake pedal sense also leads off to one of the CD4049s, via set of pull-up and current limiting resistors to various supply voltages and grounds.

I didn't manage to wake up early enough to pick up another TCU to strip down, so this one is all I have for now... hopefully tomorrow. I'm going to see if any of my friends has a belt sander or a vertical mill I can use to shave the board a layer at a time and trace it after I pull all the components and measure their values/record markings. At least Aisin Warner had the decency to only use capacitors for noise filtering, so I don't have to find the inductance of random ferrite beads...

EDIT: something truly intriguing I found out today is that one of the "not used" positions on the connector actually has a trace going to it. I'm hoping for an engineering debug port or programming port of sorts, though the microcontroller is a mask ROM type so the best we'll be able to do is maybe modify/read that 24C02. The rest of the "not used" positions do truly appear unused, which may come in useful if I decide to make a custom TCU with more features at some point...

Last edited:
'No clue what "TRS stands for, but by inference, all of the "TRS" have to come from the NSS. So ya,..

My guess is, the only thing it does is tell the TCU that the trans is in "3" to allow torque converter lockup in 3dr(which won't happen in "OD" )

no reply yet from the company with the programming adapters for the MCU... this could be problematic. I wonder if the datasheet for the MB89665 specifies enough info that I can rig an adapter myself or not.

EDIT: anyone in MA/NH/VT/within an hour drive of me have a 97+ XJ with a 1-2 override that currently sets off the CEL? I want to hack the TCU I have up with lawsoncl's idea of just disabling the diag readback on the drivers and see if that'll solve the problem. Shouldn't damage anything (except possibly my guinea pig TCU...)

Last edited:
Any idea what "TRS 3 sense" does? It, along with TRS 1-2, TRS OD, TRS R suggest that it has something to do with the NSS to me. They all seem to lead off to a set of passive components connected to the CD4049s, which makes sense.

It's the NSS input that shows when the shifter is in (3).

Update on usage:

'Just spent the last week 4-wheeling. ( :D ) It (and the transmission) are still working properly. 'Still no codes. 'Used it quite a bit on the open trails, where it came in handy. I also did as lot of rock crawling, where it turns out I never got going fast enough to need 2nd gear(in low range) so it wasn't much use there.

Surprisingly, the most use I've gotten so far is on the highway in the mountain passes to the south of Lake Tahoe, where it works beautifully. Figures,... bought it for off-roading, and use it on the highway.

Anyway, 'still happy with the purchase.

No update on schematics etc - I haven't managed to get myself a second TCU to hack up, probably going to have to wait till the end of the month.

Got a second 97-up TCU (99 this time) - on first cursory inspection, all components appear to be the same as the 97, including the revision number on the microcontroller. Will be shaving the board down and tracing it if I can find myself a good high res scanner somewhere, and I need to borrow a friend's miniature mill to shave the board without going through too many layers at once.

No progress made on finding a way to pull the firmware out of the chip, I need to look in the datasheet and see if I can figure out which pins go where on the EPROM to MCU adapter by myself.

I bought a couple resistors and wired them into the TCM side of my selector switch. So now when I switch back and forth between my Rail Shifter and the TCM it doesn't get lost. Seems a pretty simple and straight forward mod.

:thumbup: that further confirms my thinking that the TCU is only smart enough to detect open/short/proper load, not how much current is actually being drawn.

Got a second 97-up TCU (99 this time) - on first cursory inspection, all components appear to be the same as the 97, including the revision number on the microcontroller. Will be shaving the board down and tracing it if I can find myself a good high res scanner somewhere, and I need to borrow a friend's miniature mill to shave the board without going through too many layers at once.

No progress made on finding a way to pull the firmware out of the chip, I need to look in the datasheet and see if I can figure out which pins go where on the EPROM to MCU adapter by myself.

Don't you think Montana Fab would prefer that you didn't steal their work by attempting to reverse engineer their product so that you can attempt to underbid them?

Don't you think Montana Fab would prefer that you didn't steal their work by attempting to reverse engineer their product so that you can attempt to underbid them?
I'm not reverse engineering their product - I'm reverse engineering the stock TCU in an attempt to underbid and outperform them. If I end up building something and selling it here (as a vendor of course) it will have more functionality. I have better manners than to reverse engineer someone else's product to rip it off ;)

That's all well and good, I believe in a open market that allows competition. It might be wise to do your own thread on this though.

Just sayin'

Back