• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj no start help

You need to ground the the threaded metal body somewhere, some how. Easier to see the spark at night.

Try disconnecting the TPS to start it!!!!!!

Ok i guess i was thinking of the wrong part. The part i am talking about is the one right next to the throttle position sensor.

That is the IAC, Idle Air Controller!!!! Try flooring the gas peddle, hold it to the floor, and crank. If it starts it was flooded. Try it 2-3 times for about 10 seconds each time. If that works, retry it at about 10% throttle open. If that works the IAC and or the connector wire issue to the IAC is the problem!!

I have tried holding the gas peddle to the floor and try starting it and it does not start. After i do that i get the smell of fuel so i know i am getting fuel to the motor. When i took the iac out tonight, the little prongs where the wires would connect to on the iac where all busted off so there was no contact to it from the wire harness. With it not having any power or anything going to it cause it not to start?

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help everyone has given so far. Really appreciated. Hope to get this thing running so i can get out on the trails.

The wiring harness side is female, the IAC has the male pins. It is the IAC pins that are damaged, broken?

And yes that could cause a no start condition.

It may be too flooded to start now. You may need to pull the spark plugs, dry them, and try flooring it again, but keep the gas peddle to the floor until it tries to catch and start. Holding the peddle to the floor tells the ECU to stop giving it fuel, so it can dry it out, and opens the throttle body to get it max air flow to dry it out. But once it is dry it needs gas again!!!! So it is trial and error thing to hit the sweet spot.

Check the oil too, make sure it is not fuel of gas now.

Yes it is the iac pins that are broken and it looks like the plug on the harness is corroded a bit. As for the plugs they are brand new and look good.

Then you need a new IAC for sure.

Would the iac being bad cause it to not have spark and not start?

You need air, fuel and spark, and the spark and fuel must be delivered at the right TIME right cylinder!!!!

Too much fuel will keep it from starting (flood it). Too little or too much air will keep it from the starting. A bad IAC is by virtue of being bad, stuck and is likely to either deliver too much or too little air, thus keeping it from starting!!!

If the engine is cranking, a NO spark at a spark plug (in a test) is either a bad CPS, bad wiring, bad ECU, bad ICM under the HV coil, bad HV coil, bad rotor or bad cap (or a distributor that is not turning, which is real bad, like a busted timing change or gear on the dizzy) or bad plug wires or a bad spark plug.

Back