• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 No Start! HELP! Getting Fuel and Spark

possibly disconnected ballast resistor wires.......this the thing between the coil and battery with lotsa wires?

no, thats the starter relay.

the ballast(white ceramic block about an inch long) is on the drivers side inner fender and has 2 orange wires goin to it. its next to the egr solinoid which is pictured on the lunghd link.

before you invetigate this, replace or clean the plugs as i dont want to send you on a wild goose chace. if the ballast was bad it would start but stall out in a few seconds.

no i dont have a fuel pressure guage, it sounds wierd to me the jeep would start fine when i pulled it into the garage to try and figure out the rich running condition, i then started it several times testing the resistance on the map sensor, and bam now no start....

is testing the map all you did? did you disconnect anything else?

a bad temp sensor on the side of the block will also make it run rich, but thats something to test after you get it started.

99.99 percent of the time, when you are working on one thing and something else goes south, then it was probably what you did that caused the second problem. Just be ready for the .01 percent of the time it is just coincidental.

http://i36.tinypic.com/9jm4jr.jpg

is that where the map should be plugged into? did the idiot previous owner plug it w/ a screw? i can pull the grommet off and it defensively looks like it was plugged w/ a screw!!!!

Still if the map was not working correctly i should still be able to start it right?

well i put new battery terminal connectors on, but the jeep started after i did that, the heater blower motor was squealing so i reached my hand down there a shook it around while the jeep was running, replaced the relays,

possibly disconnected ballast resistor wires...not that i checked, have ran into that problem b4 too

any other suggestions?

Looked at your picture, checked my 90 to be sure, the top is not a for a line to the MAP. On my 90 the vacuum harness connection plugs the top, where your screw is, and the bottom has a vacuum line to the MAP. If that line on yours below the screw runs to the MAP it is fine.

And yes, I would expect the engine to run w/o the vacuum line connected to the MAP, as posted earlier, but I wouldn't run well.

did you check to see if the plugs are gas soaked/fouled?

the open hole(one is open and one is closed off) in the rubber grommet is where the map vacumn line goes. the hole in the side of the throttle body with the screw is the idle screw. if you can see the screw the wax was removed.

that is not where my map senor vacuum line is plugged in on mine, attached is a pic, the line below the grommet w/ 2 holes one of which is plugged by the screw, the other hole that the vacuum line hooks into leads to where the ratchet is pointing on the pic....is this not correct? should the grommet w/ 2 holes and one vacuum line hook up
to the map?

http://i35.tinypic.com/15hz7le.jpg

sounds like i have found the correct vacuum line hook ups now, so the line that used to run to my map, a 3/8in diameter line should plug into where the pics with the green ratchet is pointing to im betting....sound right

yes the plugs smell of gas etc....should i change them? it has been running rich ever since i got the jeep, i replaced them when i first got the jeep a few months ago

Last edited:
Your MAP vacuum source should be the throttle body. I'm probably wrong (been there, done that) put the vacuum on the throttle body is most likely ported. You need a line running from the lower position on the throttle body in your first photo to the MAP sensor.

The MAP sensor should not be connected to manifold vacuum, nor should the throttle body. If I am understanding you and the photo, right now the line from the lower position on the throttle body is running to the manifold, and that would be wrong.

yes the plugs smell of gas etc....should i change them? it has been running rich ever since i got the jeep, i replaced them when i first got the jeep a few months ago

Smelling of gas or are they WET with gas? Wet would indicate the engine is flooded. Get the MAP and other vacuum lines sorted out and then hold the throttle to the floor and try and start it that way.

just pulled the plugs, all of them are wet i dried them and am re instaling them now

Ok, sounds like things are going your way.

As for the running rich--are you still on the stock (original) injectors? How about the o2 sensor?

new o2 sensors yes stock injectors i believe

If those are the original stock injectors they may be part of your rich problem. Also, VERY important, if they are the original STYLE, plastic and metal body crimped together, then I urge you to get rid of them damn quick. When those start to leak where they are crimped together, and that fuel runs down onto the hot exhaust manifold, your XJ will look like a homecoming party bonfire.

wow!!! put the plugs back in after switching the two lines at the map sensor and on block and she fired right up!!!! I think the rich problem may be fixed as well! Thanks a ton guys! anyone know what rpm she should idle at? RUNS TONS BETTER NOW!

Idle speed, warm, should be the same manual or auto--700 to 750 rpm.

However, the manual in neutral, the auto in DRIVE and only after the trans and engine are fully warmed up.

sounds like i have found the correct vacuum line hook ups now, so the line that used to run to my map, a 3/8in diameter line should plug into where the pics with the green ratchet is pointing to im betting....sound right

no, the vacumn line for the map is about an 1/8"( the same size that goes to the fuel pressure regulator, egr solinoid) and as joe stated it is ported or metered so it needs to go to the thottle body and it needs to be the proper size ID line.

yes you should try new plugs as yours are most likely soaked with gas. could try the pedal to the floor trick as it shuts down the injectors at start up.

as for your rich condition, how are you determining that? by the condition of the plugs or the black ring on the exhaust pipe? my 89 has black around the exhaust but the plugs are clean and the propor color.

hang in there, the previous owner or mechanic jury rigged the vacumn system.

edit: oops, it seems you got it started. good job

Back