• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 cherokee vacuum canister

jaylovitt

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure this has been addressed or maybe not. I am trying to identify the canister behind the bumper on the passenger side, there is a main vacuum line that i traced back to the intake manifold and two smaller lines that go into the fire wall near the blower motor. i disconnected the line at the manifold and plugged it and it's seems to be running fine so I just wanted to ensure i wasn't doing any damage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No damage other than your heater will only work in defroster mode and if you still have a vacuum disco, it will also not work. Cruise??, add it to the list.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a vacuum disconect front axle, however i am just going to relocate the cannister and hook it back up I figure I can locate on the passenger side on the fender well and save about ten feet of vacuum line and that is always a good thing.

The early model XJ's, such as the 84 and 85 have a nice metal can version that has the one way valve and a really easy to mount bracket.

yup, that is for the cruise. if the line is pinched or the thing is disconnected, then the cruise will not work.

My 95 has the washer res. on the passenger side, up against the fender wall and firewall.

You can't move the canister far from the battery because there's some sort of vacuum contraption located right near the battery/fuse box....Not sure what it is.

old_man said:
The early model XJ's, such as the 84 and 85 have a nice metal can version that has the one way valve and a really easy to mount bracket.
My 86 doesn't? I experienced that the wrong way, I somehow managed to stick a branch THROUGH the plastic canister. Seem to remember that the thing has two chambers, that way I can still operate the CAD.

What would be the best fix to have the heater, and only that, working again?

I have understood that the heater will only work in the "defrost mode". That is also what's been said in post #2. True?

No. Factory service manual reads that the heater valve will be opened when the mode is on:

BILEVEL, HEAT, and DEFROST.

97+ doesn't have a heater valve though, and the heater core always has a flow of coolant through it.

Same with most newer cars.....heater valves were phased out.

Back