• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evap Cannister confusion

Merkatroyd

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 Jeep XJ Sport with the I6. In order for me to get plates in the state of Arizona, I need to pass emissions inspection.

I can't figure out the line routing for the damn vacuum lines. At first, it seems deceptively simple. The vacuum diagram sticker which chrysler corp put on the firewall is fairly cut and dry: two rubber lines come off the rollover vent valves located on the fuel tank, which merge and connect to a hard steel line which runs along the frame rail, comes up under the hood, connects to a single rubber line which runs across the firewall, which then connects to the charcoal evap canister. But there is no where for it to connect to the canister. I found the rubber line dangling behind my cylinder head.

The charcoal canister has two obvious connections: one goes to the air cleaner, and the other is a twiglike hard plastic vaccuum line which runs to the intake manifold. This is all correct according to the diagram under the hood.... but I still can't figure out where the fuel tank vent connects! the hose has no where which it will fit. :mad: two of the three ports on either side of the canister appear to be intentionally sealed shut from the factory with plastic, and the third, also capped port is gigantic, too large for the tiny rubber hose.

Can one of you with a 1995 or older XJ (pre purge valve, pre leak detection pump) pop the hood and help me figure out where the damn fuel vent hooks up to the charcoal canister?

I just moved to AZ from NC, my whole life is on hold until I get plates put on my car.

I might be completely wrong but I had the same problem in California and I just connected it to one of the ports that is or looks sealed shut. Passed the visual and pressure inspection for California but I don’t know if it is actually doing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, mine is a 95 rhd so may be different but my tank vent jumps way up in hose size and connects to the port to the left of the central stack of ports.

Also, why is the the only forum on the web that dosent allow picture sharing in posts?

Okay, mine is a 95 rhd so may be different but my tank vent jumps way up in hose size and connects to the port to the left of the central stack of ports.

Also, why is the the only forum on the web that dosent allow picture sharing in posts?
Same reason they don't allow you to edit your own post?

Put the pics on some photo sharing site like IMGUR (or others) then post the link here using the BBCode.

Like this:

L9xTboml.jpg

The link looks like this (square brackets instead of curly ones)

{img]https://i.imgur.com/L9xTboml.jpg[/img}

OK GUYS!! found the answer. Here's the deal. There is an elbow shaped port with a "+" shape in the middle. it appears to be closed... but it isn't. that's the port which sucks vapors from the fuel tank. Here is a picture for quick reference!

Canister-New-lables.jpg

You may notice that the diameter of the port does not match the diameter of the fuel vapor line from the fuel tank -- that's ok. Just cut yourself two pieces of tubes -- one piece of tubing will be 5/16" inside diameter (which you will install to the "+" port of the canister) and you will use another length of line, measuring 5/16" outside diameter which you will slip inside the larger 5/16" line in order to adapt the tiny vacuum line to the large outlet of this canister.

This repair allowed me to fix that problem... only to fail the smog test again because of a leak either in my filler neck or on my gas tank. So now I will remove and inspect my gas tank in the parking lot of my hotel. Yay. Thank you all for joining me.

:party:

Or..just make it like every other forum on the planet that just allows you to share a photo directly instead of put it in a different site then paste a link.

Or..just make it like every other forum on the planet that just allows you to share a photo directly instead of put it in a different site then paste a link.

You can have a peek at what a new NAXJA might look like here:

https://dev3.naxja.org/index.php

EDIT: While your login may work, don't post anything outside of the "The Playground". You can see that posts date up until 2020 when the new forum model was being tested.

Last edited:
Back