• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Cherokee

could be that he got it like that, like an engine swap, or he didnt know the year LOL.
smell fuel. not sure if its a leak. gonna get under it tomorrow and check it out. just another thing added to the list of fixes. lol.

If it still has the stock injectors i would be suspect of them. age will take its toll on the two piece design. And as many have posted... a leak in the injectors/rail can be detrimental as the hot manifold is directly below these parts (search as many an xj has burned up from this). Look for weeping around where the two halves of the injectors meet, as well as any o ring joints.

If you determine it is the injectors. I would suggest searching ebay for a set of yellowtop 19lb ford injectors (SEARCH NAXJA). I found a set several years ago for the chief shipped for under 80 for eight. I would suggest looking for a seller that appears to be turboing there mustang. The advantage of these injectors is a one piece unit with a four port spray pattern, offers better misting of the fuel. O ring set can be found at Napa. If you do not have to remove the fuel rail from its fitting, don't. As I have allready posted the plastic clips you will need to replace on each end of the rail are going to cost you about 40-50 bucks. If you do need to replace these clips, I would go this route http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1051867 and as Old Man says upgrade to a 95 rail. If you really wanted to spend the cash and get new injectors www.fiveomotorsport.com is a great place and a lot of guys on here swear buy them.

Last edited:
if you ARE smelling fuel under the hood, it's more than likely one or more injector. been there done that (injectors #3 & #5 on mine). ~knock on wood~ she hasn't caught fire . got 2 new injectors from autozone/advanced? (can't recall which atm). but each one cost a pretty penny ($50 a piece IIRC). but i have heard of the ford 5.0 injector swap (after i already bought mine!) the o-ring kit costs about $15 - $20 and has all the o-rings you'll need for the injectors.

emartinez11, as for my friends xj , not sure if he knew the year of his xj or not... but i do not know what year it was. he went through vehicles like most people go through socks, lol.

thanks wisconsin, checked out that fiveo and found the yellow ford ones, for about 250. gonna check ebay. the girl did say at one point the injector has been leaking from a rotting o ring. more than likely they didnt fix it and she said they did. oh well. ill fix it, no biggy.

or they thought it was an O-ring, not knowing about the flaw in the Renix injectors, replaced the o rings and the injector still leaks.

thats great info joe! thank you! luckily my buddy has 8 Yellow tipped Ford 5.0 injectors hes going to give me! just saved 250 bucks. also throwing me a Flow master exhaust system!
the money is going down..gonna run to a junkyard to see if i can find 2 side mirrors intact. also need a driver side backseat window. :D

Back