• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Cherokee

alright, i just went out & looked at mine again. now i'm presuming that the screw in yours isin the left side, closest to the valve cover? if you look at the pics i posted it shows a hard plastic tube coming out of it, right? well it goes to a "junction" that is between the front valve cover hose & the pcv hose into the intake manifold. if you look on yours you'll see a big nut looking thing between the two. THAT is where the fuel pressure regulator "hose" goes to. haven't had to look to deep into what that specific hose does (in the haynes manual i have) for any reason yet. but last time i tried to buy a new hose (the hard plastic one) for the pcv valve, autozone didn't carry it (in the pics you can see the cut down straw i used to fix it! lol) hey it worked so far.

good luck man!

All your pcv oem needs can be found a napa. IIRC it cost me less than fifty to replace all the hardlines on my 88. A fraction of what the dealer would charge. best part about it is that you can pick and choose wich parts you want to buy. I would suggest only purchasing the "larger" lines ie. the front and rear parts entering the valve cover. for the others I used hard stainless brake line with pieces of rubber fuel line on the ends to make shorter more durable runs to my vac accessories. The yellowish liquid in the airbox is most certainly oil being "blown-by" very common in the renix engines. search blow by for more info.

your fuel regulator should be easy enough to replace. just dont f with your fuel rail. the clips that connect it are only available at car quest or the dealer and run about 20 apiece, are not in stock and take a while to get. if you do play with the rail... someone just posted up a couple days ago a retrofit solution that looked really slick.

Last edited:
thats great information, thank you!
im certainly going to check out that stuff when getting all the vacuum stuff fixed. i figured i hook the FPR back up and see if it works, if not, just get a new one.

never checked at napa, been burnt on a part from them. never went to them again.
good info about the use of brake-lines for the pcv lines.

imho people that work in parts stores should have a good WORKING knowledge of vehicle (like a mechanic does) (even if he can't think of the "correct/proper" name of a part, lol)

a buddy of mine can barely do his own tune ups on a car. (like spark pl;ugs and wires..) and he was hired on at oreillys... best thing to do, buy a chiltons, or get your hands on alldata, learn how to do it yourself and save yourself time and energy. i had no idea what any of this stuff was until i started searching. i did see the complete front and back hosing for the crankcase vent system and everything i need to complete redo the vacuum stuff at napa. i think ill give them a go. im hoping a mechanic shop can tell me what i will need and i can buy it and they can install it.

just seams that a lot of the people that work in the parts stores have no idea & dont want to, or are unwilling to, read anything other the computer that is sitting on the counter. so they still have no idea of what the part is really for ('cept what the computer says it's for). it can be very exasperating for "us" the customer. and i have come to expect that the workers don't know diddly-squat about vehicles.

as a former parts counter worker (got hired for the counter when they was looking for a mechanic, which i was) i learned that a the policy "the customer is always right" is correct, but what IS NOT written on that policy is this... "even when they don't know their own a$$ from a hole in the ground" . and we had plenty of those types come int looking for "this part" when they actually needed "that part".
when the customer can tell the counter worker what their vehicle is doing/sounding like, and the worker has a better idea of what the customer needs than the customer. and then they come back b!tchin because "you" gave them the wrong part (exactly what they asked for).

Last edited:
haha yeah. im just taking a guess, but im assuming because of all the vacuum issues, itll run better once i get all that stuff correct, then figure out what parts ned replacing, probably get some nice used tires. get odds and ends fixed

Yes, the screwy vac lines are going to cause some issues. might want to check the line running under the battery out to the vac canister under the bumper while your at it. if this is broken you loose good control over your vac accessories.

The main vacuum harness comes in two pieces, about $23.99 each at NAPA.

Yes, the screwy vac lines are going to cause some issues. might want to check the line running under the battery out to the vac canister under the bumper while your at it. if this is broken you loose good control over your vac accessories.

i personaly haven't had to replace that one, but yeah good point on that one. unless there has been some front-end damage though, it should be fine. still a good idea to check it though.
good catch there XJWISCONSIN :thumbup: :cheers:

usually crapped out batteries will rot this hose out. Ended up getting a couple hundred knocked off the 98 I bought bc the cruise wasnt working and the heater controls were locked out. paid the dealer. walked outside and put two inches of fuel line where the break was... drove home in cruise just for fun.

usually crapped out batteries will rot this hose out. Ended up getting a couple hundred knocked off the 98 I bought bc the cruise wasnt working and the heater controls were locked out. paid the dealer. walked outside and put two inches of fuel line where the break was... drove home in cruise just for fun.

lmao sounds soo familiar!
our cruise still doesn't work (wires are cut at the switch on the column), forget what all else was wrong with it, but got a few hundred knocked off for everything.

if your getting only derfrost then its most likely a vac problem. Vac loss will cause the system to go into a limp mode causing only the defrost to operate, no matter where you have the heater controls lined up.

man you guys give great info in a hurry. im hoping that with the fixing of the vac problems, ill see what i need done. i think its most of the problem. i def want to to put some performance parts on. but i want the engine to run great first.

man you guys give great info in a hurry. im hoping that with the fixing of the vac problems, ill see what i need done. i think its most of the problem. i def want to to put some performance parts on. but i want the engine to run great first.

hey with all the help i've gotten from the (4) jeep sites i'm on , i'm glad to pass on some info that can help a fellow JEEPER out.

as for putting on performance parts, yeah gettin it to run right first is critical. once ya have it "purring like a kitten" you can "beef up" what ever ya feel the need to. and hopefully not :explosion: it in the process! lol
good luck man!

Back