• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Axle Shaft Removal

Red Loktite is used on those bolts, Apply a bit of heat to the bolt before removing. You will have to use an easy out on the broken bolt's.

Do not re-use the old ring gear bolts.

Heated it up real good and the same thing happened. What the heck! I am seriously thinking about just snapping them all off and junking the gear set, but I cant afford to do that..:flamemad:

I might just be wildly hallucinating..... but if you've got any threads to look on those ring gear bolts, you might want to double check. I seem to remember something about left hand threads on 8.25 gear sets.

Let me go out and brake another one off to see...LOL

EDIT: you are correct my friend. LH threads.....now how the heck do I easy out them with right handed easy outs...lol

Last edited:
I think I would definitely try the welding thing first. Spray in there really well with brake cleaner to try to get all the gear oil out. Then run your wire out an inch and a half and wrap some electrical tape around the wire, leaving just the tip exposed. This should prevent it from sticking to the sides and hopefully only stick to the broken pin. If you get lucky, the wire my stick to the pin with a quick burst of power and you can pull the pin out.

However, given that the cross shaft has been pounded on pretty good, the pin may be deformed...

Good luck.
Great advice minus the brake cleaner part... see dgrigorenko's signature for the reason! DO NOT clean stuff to be welded with brake cleaner or any other chlorinated solvent, EVER! Your central nervous system and lungs are not fans of the resulting fumes.

OK, so here is what ARB said to me......Use a bigger hammer. WTF! are you kidding me. Use it to force out the pin. Basically the only way for that little retainer pin to have broke is that one or both of the gears has seized up on the Cross Pin, thus forcing it out with a hammer. This can be due to a bent axle shaft, improper setting of the locker and all sorts of other things. He said if I cant get it out worst case it that I have to torch out the gears and pin and purchase a new set...at about 250 bucks for those parts, and then if the cross pin has egged out the holes on the case housing itself Im into it some more cash.....might as well just buy a new locker at that point and have someone kick me in the balls cause I will be thoroughly screwed since I dont have the scratch to get one. Looks as if I get to do some MC Hammer time :banghead:
Well, to make it driveable you can pick up a set of stock spider gears for ~$20 at the local you-pull-it. Open is better than not working at all.

Heated it up real good and the same thing happened. What the heck! I am seriously thinking about just snapping them all off and junking the gear set, but I cant afford to do that..:flamemad:
Hopefully they sheared off near the head not near the ring gear surface, so you can grab them with vise grips after you get the ring gear off and twist them out.

Let me go out and brake another one off to see...LOL

EDIT: you are correct my friend. LH threads.....now how the heck do I easy out them with right handed easy outs...lol
Don't, just use standard drill bits since they're twisted the normal way or (hopefully) a pair of vise grips

Back