• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Axle Shaft Removal

Special notched pin? I pulled that little threaded Allen bolt with the small tip on it out and its still stuck. Does anyone have a picture of that special tool?
Also one tooth is ground down on the ring gear for removal of it, I just wasn't paying attention. Anyone know whats up?

You might have to push on the end of the cross shaft a little to persuade it, I like to use the end of my 3/8" drive ratchet to smack it a few times to break it loose, then turn it so it's pointing uphill out of the diff and push the back end of the shaft by reaching behind the carrier. That way the spider gears don't fall out all over the place and the cross shaft doesn't slide back into the housing and get trapped.

Be careful, In the RD93 ARb Locker there are 2 cross shaft retaining pins.
One for the short cross shaft & another one for the long cross shaft.
You want to remove the one for the long cross shaft.

Also you alk about "That little threaded Allen bolt with the small tip on it"

It should be a long needle like pine (Starts out as an allen head but tapers down to something like an Ar15 firing pin), If it is not it may be broken, keeping the long cross shaft in.
Look at this for refrence. http://www.arb.com.au/resources/pdf/airLockers/2-RD93.pdf

Last edited:
I knew that didn't look right. I took a look at that schematic the other day trying to figure it out and thought that maybe my pin was just different. that guy who sold it to me probably knew it to....man I'm pissed right now. Here is a pic of it, tell me if I'm screwed?

A pic of the locker Im working on
2aef78f5.jpg

A pic of the cage pin and cross pin retainer bolt
cc1e44d0.jpg

Now what do I do!? I guess I can drill and easy out the thing, which will be a royal pain in the but.

Since it is only hanging there it may just fall out if it is in the right position.
Before you start drilling get creative, Spray Brake cleaner or wd40 into the hole, use a magnet or tweezers to try & pull it out.
If nothing works call ARB & see what they suggest.

Try a magnet too on the end of a drift punch small enough to fit in the hole.

Worst case, a small diameter arc welding rod & and arc welder. But you have to be quick and steady. Think of the game "Operation". Carefully feed the rod into the hole, until you just strike an arc on the broken end of the pin, then have a friend shut of your welder off quickly. The rod should stick enough the to pin, so you can pull it out. Or maybe pre feed some wire to length, from a MIG welder to accomplish the same thing....

worse news, things just keep getting better. The "Cross Pin" is too high and the pin is unable to be pulled out. I have to manage to push that pin down which its not doing. How can I get that pin down. Freeking serious, all this to get an axle out to see if its a 27 or 29 spline. Just glad I did it now instead of finding this out on the trail.

worse news, things just keep getting better. The "Cross Pin" is too high and the pin is unable to be pulled out. I have to manage to push that pin down which its not doing. How can I get that pin down. Freeking serious, all this to get an axle out to see if its a 27 or 29 spline. Just glad I did it now instead of finding this out on the trail.

You may end up having to remove the carrier & work with it on the bench.
Call ARB, They are very good & might be able to help you.

You may end up having to remove the carrier & work with it on the bench.
Call ARB, They are very good & might be able to help you.

You cant remove the carrier until the axle shafts are removed !!!!!!!

Careful with the welding suggestion... it's a great one but make sure you don't get spatter on important things! It would really suck to get the rod stuck to the part and ready to pull it out, but have it jam on some spatter that stuck to the inside of the bore. I'd suggest rolling up a coke can and shoving it down the hole and then letting it expand again to keep the spatter from sticking, then slide it out before trying to remove the stuck piece, or some similar tactic. Heavy grease might work but might result in :flame: as well

You cant remove the carrier until the axle shafts are removed !!!!!!!

Sorry, Sleep typing is not a good thing.

Try hanging the axle with a chain fall in the direction that the pin can fall out (To get gravity on your side) Then try all of the above ideas (Tapping the cross shaft & Carrier, the Magnet, Spraying Brake cleaner in the hole, tweezers, etc...)
something will work! If all else fails I guess you can hammer the cross shaft up & down to destroy the pin, But I would call ARB first and ask how they feel about the idea first, I have delt with ARB Customer service before & they were excellent people to deal with.
Good Luck

Last edited:
also as kastien said it u put something to catch the spatter in the hole u wont arc on the diff itself and can only hit the pin. makes it easier to not stick to the wrong thing

thanks for the help guys. I am going to just cal ARB since I dont want to screw anything up. Worst case is I have to crate it up and ship the whole axle to them. I have a friend with a mill that might be able to mill the top of the pin out so I can get it out.

I think I figured how the pin broke though. Someone hammered on the Cross pin till it sheered off, because the top of the cross pin looked like it had been whaled on by a decent sized hammer. My other guess is that they bent the pin and that's why its not coming out. I will keep posting on what worked.

If that is an 8.25 then you have to remove the c-clip to get the axle shaft out. Once the c-clips are removed the shafts should come right out.

OK, so here is what ARB said to me......Use a bigger hammer. WTF! are you kidding me. Use it to force out the pin. Basically the only way for that little retainer pin to have broke is that one or both of the gears has seized up on the Cross Pin, thus forcing it out with a hammer. This can be due to a bent axle shaft, improper setting of the locker and all sorts of other things. He said if I cant get it out worst case it that I have to torch out the gears and pin and purchase a new set...at about 250 bucks for those parts, and then if the cross pin has egged out the holes on the case housing itself Im into it some more cash.....might as well just buy a new locker at that point and have someone kick me in the balls cause I will be thoroughly screwed since I dont have the scratch to get one. Looks as if I get to do some MC Hammer time :banghead:

I think I would definitely try the welding thing first. Spray in there really well with brake cleaner to try to get all the gear oil out. Then run your wire out an inch and a half and wrap some electrical tape around the wire, leaving just the tip exposed. This should prevent it from sticking to the sides and hopefully only stick to the broken pin. If you get lucky, the wire my stick to the pin with a quick burst of power and you can pull the pin out.

However, given that the cross shaft has been pounded on pretty good, the pin may be deformed...

Good luck.

Well the pins deformed...LOL. I hammered it back one direction so I could pull the broken pin out then proceeded to pound the crap out of it till I could get the axles out. The 2 gears were ceased onto the pin. I now have to get the last of it out and order a pin at 20 bucks. I hope the gears are good, I will have to take them out to see. I am now taking a break with a piece of pizza and an ice cold adult beverage. I will get back out to check on spline count.

bc4f520f.jpg

Well the pins deformed...LOL. I hammered it back one direction so I could pull the broken pin out then proceeded to pound the crap out of it till I could get the axles out. The 2 gears were ceased onto the pin. I now have to get the last of it out and order a pin at 20 bucks. I hope the gears are good, I will have to take them out to see. I am now taking a break with a piece of pizza and an ice cold adult beverage. I will get back out to check on spline count.

bc4f520f.jpg

So the center pin has to come out to get the c-clips out? I don't remember having to do that on the one I pulled apart to count splines on. Of course it did not have an arb either.

yep, the pin has to come out. I found that I do have the 29 spline stuff. Now another situation has arose. I went to pull the ring gear and the first 2 bolts snapped off.....I am really hating life right now.

yep, the pin has to come out. I found that I do have the 29 spline stuff. Now another situation has arose. I went to pull the ring gear and the first 2 bolts snapped off.....I am really hating life right now.

Red Loktite is used on those bolts, Apply a bit of heat to the bolt before removing. You will have to use an easy out on the broken bolt's.

Do not re-use the old ring gear bolts.

GHOST: I think the pinion shaft has to come out on all C-Clip axles to allow removal of the C-Clips, With the shaft in place you cannot push the axleshafts in to free up the C-Clips .

Last edited:
Back