• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Axle Shaft Removal

Good info guys, thanks for the quick response. I knew the spider gears weren't bolted in place. :) Poor wording on my part. Sounds pretty straight forward, I'll be sure to use the correct socket on the retention bolt.

Why is the bearing cap off?

Why did you take all the brake hardware off?

Gravity will be the only tool you need to remove a c-clip.

This is a recylced post. I don't know if you'll get an answer to this question.

I have a quick 8.25 question. Can I swap axle shafts and spider gears from a 29 spline into a 27 spline axle?
Yes,but you need the carrier also!

So why wont the 29 spline spider gears work in a 27 spline carrier? The axle splines only engage in the spider gears correct?

1. You don't need to remove all the brake hardware to get the shaft out, just the drum.

2. Only use 6pt sockets on the crossshaft retaining bolt or you WILL round it.

3. Removing the carrier bearing cap shouldn't affect a thing as long as you don't touch the carrier adjusters. I use this method as well to fit a 3/8" drive ratchet in there.

The c clip is a pain if you don't understand how to get it out.

I sat there during my aussie install trying to pry it with screwdrivers. All you have to do is rotate the open side of the c up, and wobble the axle, and it will fall out.

I can now get my aussie apart and out in 10 minutes.

And having disks will prevent your axle from leaving the area.

So why wont the 29 spline spider gears work in a 27 spline carrier? The axle splines only engage in the spider gears correct?

The 29 spline side(not spider gears) gears have a larger bearing area and wont fit in a 27 spline carrier!

The c clip is a pain if you don't understand how to get it out.

I sat there during my aussie install trying to pry it with screwdrivers. All you have to do is rotate the open side of the c up, and wobble the axle, and it will fall out.

I can now get my aussie apart and out in 10 minutes.

And having disks will prevent your axle from leaving the area.

More good info, glad that I kept this thread going. Hopefully after this weekend I'll have disks holding my axles in place also!

the cross pin retaining bolt is a 5/16. it is not a 8mm, as some believe. using the correct size makes a huge difference as well.

about the bearing caps: don't touch them unless you are setting the gears. don't remove the carrier unless you have to either. if you do, take a punch and mark the caps and the nuts before you remove it from the axle housing. if you're off even a tiny bit in either direction it screws all sorts of stuff up. you should be ok if you just put that bearing cap back on and it went in fine... but for future reference try not to screw with those if you don't need to. to the point where if you do, remember which bolt was where... hope that helped. good luck with the build

the cross pin retaining bolt is a 5/16. it is not a 8mm, as some believe. using the correct size makes a huge difference as well.

The same can be said for the u-joint bolts on the driveshaft. 8mm fits, but it's not the correct size.

5/16 in = .3125"
8mm = .3149"

Agreed on the 5/16 vs 8mm... 2.4 thousandths of an inch makes a HUGE difference in your wallet and blood pressure! Ask me how I know...

I wasn't sure if an 8.25 had a 12pt or a 6pt - good to know it's 6pt. Forget what axle it was that I had the displeasure of working on recently that had a 12pt, but for some reason I think it was a d35 in the rear of a ZJ or a WJ.

I use a 6 point 5/16 socket on a 1/4 drive breaker bar (yes there is such a thing) and it has always worked great.

The same can be said for the u-joint bolts on the driveshaft. 8mm fits, but it's not the correct size.

5/16 in = .3125"
8mm = .3149"

yup. bingo.

about to have to pull my axle shafts to convert to disc brakes...is the procedure any different if i have a detroit?

WEather you have a Detroit or a lock right there are c clips tha tmust come out. It should be about the same. Look for a space where the c-clip will come out through. If you find its a lot different post up some pictures and add to the tech! :D

Ok, time to bring this thread back up. I am trying to get the axles out of my 8.25 to also find out if there 27 or 29 and or alloys. Problem is I cant get the pin out. I completely removed the bolt, difference from previous questions is that its an ARB Locker. I just bought it and I cant get the dang pin out! It also looks as if I have to take the ring gear off to get the pin past? What gives?

The pin has to come out,if the gears are not ground down,then it might have been installed with a special "notched" pin?

Back