• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5th annual TSF Thanksgiving run

I wanna go soooo bad but i've only got about 20% tread on my front two. You guys think thats enough for any wheelin?

Out!

so WAxj_skier is out for this trip so now im flying down solo. i will probably head down early friday morning instead of thursday night now. so which camp are we staying at? and do you guys have any directions that could get me there quickly?

How many people approximately will be camping there? I'm still planning for leaving friday evening if antvody wants to meet me and head down pm me with your number. I need a new battery and i should be good.

My friend is coming up friday after work around 4-5. He will be in a red Durango and knows the way to camp.

Ill get some detailed directions posted soon, if Dustin Doesnt beat me to it...

Easy directions incase the roads are nasty -

Take HWY 6 west towards Tillimook, Look for the signs for "Elk Creek Campground". Elk Creek is on the right side of the road just opposite of SouthFork Rd. It is just past mile post 28, turn left onto South fork Rd, follow south fork Rd past prison camp, approx 1 mile past prison camp the road forks. Stay to the left. DO NOT turn across the bridge! Follow the road approx .5 -1 mile. You will eventually pass by Mini-Ruicon. Just past there, the road will fork again. Stay to the left again. When you get to the top (approx 100ft) turn right down hill. This will put you on Powerline trail, but its a super easy section. When you get to the bottom of the hill Horse Camp is on your left. Come on in and say hi !

There are other ways to get there but some are off road, and some are super steep up hill.... not friendly when your loaded down and there is snow and ice on the ground.

HORSECAMP-MAP.jpg

Note: If for some reason Horse Camp is closed. We will be staying at Lyda Camp. This located just across the bridge mentioned in the directions above.

Last edited:
I'm sure Mojo will post the way by using South fork Rd, so I'll give another option.

Here's what ODF has on their website:
Stagecoach Horse Camp is easily reached by turning south off of Highway 6 at milepost 33 onto Beaver Dam Road and following the signs for 5 miles into the campground. It is home to camping and day use staging for accessing the Historic Hiking Trail Loop. Please note, Stagecoach sits in the heart of the Browns Camp OHV Trail area.
Basically after stopping for your Oregon ORV permit at the Gales Creek Shell (ask for a map), continue up highway 6 for approximately 7 miles. When you get to the top of the pass there will be signs for Rogers Camp/Browns Camp. Turn left at the summit following the signs. Take a right at the Y, and continue on Beaver Dam Rd. The road will split two more times and you'll still want to stay to the right. After you go over a small bridge, stay on the main road for a few miles, and follow the signs to Horse Camp.

Also, another option could be unloading at Rogers Camp day use (take a left instead of a right when you make the turn off the highway). There's a big map there you can study. Then cruise to camp in the Jeep. I'm not sure how much snow will be on the ground, so rather than towing to camp blind it might be easier to use the Jeep instead to scout. Also if you make a wrong turn turning around may be a bit easier. Then one of us can run you back up to pick up the tow rig. It's an option to think about.

This is the only map I have right now, but you can kind of see the route you'll need to take. It's pretty straight forward.

untitled.jpg

For those of us heading out on Thursday I vote we take Rutherford Rd over the top.

Last edited:
I reccommend Rutherford Road as the absolute quickest route for everyone !

However, if there is any ice / snow on the road i would not try this alone. This road is VERY steep and curvy !

for those that want it, here is the link to ODFs OHV trail map
http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/tillamookstateforest/docs/TSF_08_OHVGuide.pdf

Like Dustin said, they are usually available at the gales creek station as well.

Last edited:
I reccommend Rutherford Road as the absolute quickest route for everyone !

However, if there is any ice / snow on the road i would not try this alone. This road is VERY steep and curvy !

There's also a few turns you need to make that have no signs. Easy to get mixed up. I don't think I've used that route for a few years. Sounds like the perfect route for Thursday though. :D

Because of the conditions, I'd say follow the signs by using Beaver Dam Rd, or if you've been up there before go down and come up from South Fork.

If it's going to keep snowing this week (it will), a lot of the roads may not have tracks on them. If your towing a trailer the safest bet would be sticking to the main route following the signs.

so that was a lot of information at once. i will be towing my jeep up friday morning. am i heading straight for the horse camp from milepost 33? is that where everyone will be?

so that was a lot of information at once. i will be towing my jeep up friday morning. am i heading straight for the horse camp from milepost 33? is that where everyone will be?
Correct.

We'll be staging from and camping at Stagecoach Horse Camp.

What time are you planning on heading down? I would imagine we may head out for a trail or two in the late morning/early afternoon.

Back