• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.2L Magnum XJ engine swap

It's cheaper to do an ls 6.0/4l80e or th400 since the conversion is so well supported for the XJ . The only mount you can't buy is the rear motor/trans mount ,which is simple enough to solve with a universal trans mount and making 2 holes in crossmember for it ,And everything else is pretty much bolt in aftermarket supprted through Novak .
Don't know if it's cheaper...shelbyluvv's has been handled mostly with standard XJ/ZJ/MJ parts modified to fit. He used the stock 5.2 motor mounts, cut to lower the engine to clear the hood, an XJ wiring harness repinned to interface between MJ and ZJ, etc etc. Check the link posted by OverlandXJ: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sh...J-5.2-into-a-86-MJ&highlight=5.2L+MJ+comanche
Has all his work, questions, answers, just about everything being asked here. :)

I'm also looking to do a 5.2 into a XJ swap net year.

I picked up a motor, trans and all the body and engine wiring from a '94 ZJ. Can't get much simpler than swap all the wiring and build a custom gauge panel..

Tried to embed a slide show but it didn't work. Oh well. That's what I get for trying to be all fancy. ;)

I thought I would mention that when removing the harness from the Dakota I didn't have to cut any wires. I pulled the engine to ECU harness in one piece (2 connectors at the ECU). The third connector at the ECU goes inside of the truck but is on a plug under the dash and the drivers side. I'll of course post more info when I start to modify the harness.

B

look up the link from OverlandXJ to shelbyluvv's thread on mallcrawlin.com. He's already figured everything out.

It's about time! I was just thinking about you yesterday, wondering if you were ever going to get going on this :clap:

Yep, it's started. Don't expect crazy fast progress though. I must have ADD because I can't seem to focus on just one project. Along with this swap I also have a ton of other projects going on.

I bought a tire machine and am restoring it, don't ask why because it worked fine when I got it. It just didn't look nice.

I have my '68 Fairlane that I put FI on and am working to tune it now that the weather is good. I also have all of the parts to build a new motor for it. I'm hoping to get that done during the summer some time.

I have a tire balancer that runs on 3 phase and I need to make a rotary phase converter for it to run on single phase.

Plus, I bought a Bridgeport from a guy in Ohio which I need to go get.

That's on top of the time required to earn the money to pay for all of this. Needless to say I get done what I can when I can. So though I should be steadily plugging away at this, it isn't going to happen quickly.

B

It's cheaper to do an ls 6.0/4l80e or th400 ....And everything else is pretty much bolt in aftermarket supprted through Novak .

Just because you can buy conversion parts doesn't mean it's cheaper. :D

You're forgetting you need a $500 adapter if you go with a Jeep transfer case.

Your 231/242, D300, or Atlas will bolt right up to the NV3500, 44RE, and 46RE.

Yep, it's started. Don't expect crazy fast progress though. I must have ADD because I can't seem to focus on just one project. Along with this swap I also have a ton of other projects going on.

I bought a tire machine and am restoring it, don't ask why because it worked fine when I got it. It just didn't look nice.

I have my '68 Fairlane that I put FI on and am working to tune it now that the weather is good. I also have all of the parts to build a new motor for it. I'm hoping to get that done during the summer some time.

I have a tire balancer that runs on 3 phase and I need to make a rotary phase converter for it to run on single phase.

Plus, I bought a Bridgeport from a guy in Ohio which I need to go get.

That's on top of the time required to earn the money to pay for all of this. Needless to say I get done what I can when I can. So though I should be steadily plugging away at this, it isn't going to happen quickly.

B

Damn Bob, you starting a machine/tire shop or what? :D This will be a sweet swap, can't wait to see it.

Don't forget to replace the plenum gasket (trim the tits off the bolts, too) and replace the water pump bypass hose while the front alt/ac mount off.

Well, if nothing else, this swap will get the alternator up out of the mud! Looking good so far.

Are you planning any kind of tie between the frame horns where the old cross member was, or just going with the new lower rad. support?(presumably off the dak?)

Here is a 5.9L in my MJ:
CIMG2285.jpg

I'm dropping a 5.9L Magnum V8 and a 46RE from a '98ZJ Niner in my MJ. I had a full head of steam on the project, but then got caught up with a bunch of other crap and started working long hours at work and then spending time with my GF and family on the weekends.

However starting next month, for better or for worse, I am going to part-time work at my current job. I'm going to be moving towards the end of this year and I need to start finishing projects and cleaning up my shop.

I got back on this project last night and finished the drivers side motor mount. It was cake. Passenger side is going to require a bit more thought and fabrication.

I've got an entire 5.9L/46RE/wiring harness/PCM from a '98ZJ PLUS an entire '98ZJ 5.9L Limited parts donor for all of the accessories, cooling, and any other miscellaneous items I may need along the way. I have a '99XJ donor that I will be using for the interior. The '99XJ gauges should talk to the '98ZJ PCM over the CCD Bus. If they don't, I'm gonna be pissed :D

Here is one thread I have going: http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?t=5590

I also have all of the parts to supercharge it, if I decide to go that route.

Here is a 5.9L in my MJ:
CIMG2285.jpg

I'm dropping a 5.9L Magnum V8 and a 46RE from a '98ZJ Niner in my MJ. I had a full head of steam on the project, but then got caught up with a bunch of other crap and started working long hours at work and then spending time with my GF and family on the weekends.

However starting next month, for better or for worse, I am going to part-time work at my current job. I'm going to be moving towards the end of this year and I need to start finishing projects and cleaning up my shop.

I got back on this project last night and finished the drivers side motor mount. It was cake. Passenger side is going to require a bit more thought and fabrication.

I've got an entire 5.9L/46RE/wiring harness/PCM from a '98ZJ PLUS an entire '98ZJ 5.9L Limited parts donor for all of the accessories, cooling, and any other miscellaneous items I may need along the way. I have a '99XJ donor that I will be using for the interior. The '99XJ gauges should talk to the '98ZJ PCM over the CCD Bus. If they don't, I'm gonna be pissed :D

Here is one thread I have going: http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?t=5590

I also have all of the parts to supercharge it, if I decide to go that route.
check the thread at Mallcrawlin that's been put up a few times. You could check out Bo's mounts to get inspiration for your passenger side. He did a 5.2 into an MJ.

I've talked in length with Bo about his engine mounting solution over on ComancheClub.com, where he also has a build thread. He was the one that notified me that I'll likely need to drop the engine mounts down a bit if I want to have any chance of clearing the stock hood. I've got a set of engine drop brackets already designed and ready to be cut on my CNC, but I need to get the passenger side engine mount securely bolted to the frame first.

The drivers side was a piece of cake - basically a mashup of a ZJ and XJ engine mount. I just need to drill a couple holes in the frame for some thru-bolts to hopefully add strength and rigidity.

Some one who has little time posts links to an album. Thanks for the help though. I'll give it a shot.

As you can see this setup uses the stock 4.0L mount. I wouldn't have minded using a ZJ mount but I didn't have any so I would have had to buy them. Also, I do not have a donor ZJ so the frame brackets are another thing I would have had to get. This seemed like the easiest route.

DSC01059.jpg

DSC01060.jpg

Back