• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.2L Magnum XJ engine swap

OK, I'm a bit confused. Are the Dakota automatic transmission's different from the Grand' s. Or are we only talking manual transmission' s that have different bell housings? If the starter location on the Dakota will be a problem I may be better off getting the motor and Trans from a Grand?

B

230 hp and 300 ft lbs torque. For a V8 its a dog in any vehicle.

300 lbft at fairly low rpm is good torque ...But I'd rather do a 360 and get 345 lbft and easiy get 400lbft for cheap . I was considering a v8 , but the 4.0 does fine in 4lo on the trail ,and will probably just do a 4spd atlas ...But who knows after summer is over I might get the v8 itch aagain I'm just not sure what swap is really simpler chevy 6.0 4l80e or a 5.9 /46 re from a zj...I'll probbably find other mods to spend money on since the 4.0 is so reliable and runs well ,and I'll be towing it ...lol

OK, I'm a bit confused. Are the Dakota automatic transmission's different from the Grand' s. Or are we only talking manual transmission' s that have different bell housings? If the starter location on the Dakota will be a problem I may be better off getting the motor and Trans from a Grand?

B

starter on dodge is driver side and pass on jeep ,so get your v8/trans from jeep donor

I say do the 5.2 or 5.9 and then show us all how you did it. I think this maybe something in the future of my xj when my 4.Slow blows. I loved my 5.2L in my Dakota only had the usual bolt on's but was one mean truck and I could hold my own with most cars on the road. Pulled 16sec. 1/4miles in my daily driver and still got 18-19mpg I never babied that thing. I had enough tickets in that truck to prove it. My vote put a magnum in it.

ZJ 5.2 and 5.9 engines are both Magnums. I have seen a 5.2 installed in an XJ with 44RE trans. I have played with these Mopar engines for years. They are not dogs. In fact they are usually more reliable than either the Ford or Bow Tie competitors. Same goes for the transmissions. JMHO.

ZJ 5.2 and 5.9 engines are both Magnums. I have seen a 5.2 installed in an XJ with 44RE trans. I have played with these Mopar engines for years. They are not dogs. In fact they are usually more reliable than either the Ford or Bow Tie competitors. Same goes for the transmissions. JMHO.

My 95 zj had 275k on origional 318 it ran strong when I sold it with good compression on all 8 it only had a small oil leak and lost about 1qt every 3 months out of its 5qt capacity ...The trans in 95 was still the big 46(rh) behind it which did have the overdrive unit fail shooting metal through the trans at 100k ,I bought a rebuilt 46rh and ran it 175k with 33'/35s and stock 3.73 gears tras was like new when sold at 275k...Just typing this has me thinking when my 4.0 dies I'll do a 360 with a performance cam/46re ...but my 4.0 only has 130k on it and leaks not a drop of oil ,so I don't see it happening for a long time .

Tube chassis with XJ skins?
Buy a Commander & go 60s, 5.13s & 35s?

When I had my 5.9 ZJ, it had a pretty decent oil leak from the rear main. Research indicated that if left to leak too long, the crank would get grooved because the rear main seal on these engines has the metal spring inside the seal lip to keep the seal tight. Once the seal wears down enough, the spring cuts into the crank.

Something to keep in mind when looking for a used engine.......

Do it , and post lots of pics ! I have a '98 Xj and a'98 dodge 2500 with the 360 , nv4500 , and f&r 60's that I want to morph together

I searched my pictures and can't find it. I don't think it was photo-shopped either. Looked like it really filled the engine bay. I'm gonna search "hemi XJ" and see if I can find it again.

It's cheaper to do an ls 6.0/4l80e or th400 since the conversion is so well supported for the XJ . The only mount you can't buy is the rear motor/trans mount ,which is simple enough to solve with a universal trans mount and making 2 holes in crossmember for it ,And everything else is pretty much bolt in aftermarket supprted through Novak .

Wasn't there a factory experimental XJ or two made with a 318? I can't remember if it was true or just a story told by Cherokee owners as they sat around the campfires at Rausch Creek.

Back