• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 LINK REAR PICTURES/INFO?!

Kaczman said:
I'm curious as to where you found these ideal spring rates. Stock fronts are WAY too soft for the rear. I've tried them and I hated how it rode on and off road.

-Jon
Kinda odd considering the vehicle weight is distributed more to the front.

Kaczman said:
I'm curious as to where you found these ideal spring rates. Stock fronts are WAY too soft for the rear. I've tried them and I hated how it rode on and off road.

-Jon

Too soft? That doesn't make much sense. You have an engine in the front, and a large open compartment in the rear.

Explain how they rode, please.

I've calculated my current spring to be around 230 lbs/in, and I've run 180 and 200 in the past. The softer rates felt mushy on road, and unstable off road. I'm sure this is also due to the fact that at the same time I increased rates, I also lowered the rig, lowered the A.S., and raised the roll center.

To further complicate the issue, I moved the axle back 4", have a fuel cell behind the front seats, have removed most of the rear sheet metal, and don't run swaybars. A stock wheelbased rig with softer springs and a swaybar may be fine. I think each rig needs to be tuned to the driver's needs and preferences. I'm just passing on my observations on my rig. I don't think there is a magic number for everyone.

-Jon

I have ran stock fronts in the rear. between the "frame rail" and the axle. I think they are too soft. And i didn't have a rear roof or hatch. There good for about 8-9" of lift.

Off course if you go to a coil spring (coil over or shock & coil) your going to get a softer (better) ride. Thats why you do it!

As with any 4 corner coil rig, a rear sway bar (very light one) and your stable yet flexable and rides significantly better then any leaf setup! you will find a rear sway on most any comp rig even if its over like 2500lbs.

i ordered several when i did it i think i settled on 200 over 350 .its a bit soft but an Anti-Rock would cancel out the small bit of body lean it gets

now whats the diff in buildin a 4 link/ wishbone 3 link.... and buildin a set of lowers(paralla bars) and a panhard bar... pretty much the same set up as the front? i seen great flex outa the fronts???...

LiftedWood85 said:
now whats the diff in buildin a 4 link/ wishbone 3 link.... and buildin a set of lowers(paralla bars) and a panhard bar... pretty much the same set up as the front? i seen great flex outa the fronts???...
the more triangulation of the uppers and also the lowers, the less "rear steer" you get. The 4 link with track bar works better in the front due to the drag link and track bar being paralel to eachother, and as the front sus. cycles the drag link end stays the same distance from the pitman arm end. Not causing bump steer.

No matter what someone tells you a triangulated front will Never be as bump steer free as a stock front end. Theres people out there that swear that their 3-4k$ Teraflex LCG system doesnt have any pump steer. thats not poss with the geometry unless its a full hydro steer.

The rear doesnt need this type of geomerty to function in top form, so therefor a 3 or 4 link and trian. uppers with either trian. lowers or not, dont need the track bar allowing for a much more bind free setup as well as still lessor flex steer. The longer the lowers, if a triang upper only, the less steer you get under articulation.

All in all IMO a 4 link with track bar is the best front setup period, and a triang. upper and lower rear is the best, but a trian. upper only in the rear is still a very good setup.

More then anything though is doing alot of calc's to get the right numbers for your lift, weight, wheelbase, link angles and attachment locations.

so ur sayn that a traing. upper and lower arms would be the best setup, then next down the list would be par.(or staright) lowers and triang. uppers would be the "not the greatest but far from the worst" set up.... thanks for the help so far guys

Back