• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7L grand swap

The Holley Truck Avenger carb is just fine you'll have some bogging out issues with any street carb, but this carb was designed so it wouldn't. It also comes in a 770cfm version. The low and mid-range on it is impressive (it pulls like a tractor) and the top end is just scary when it opens up. Hands down the best carb i've owned for the this purpose of wheeling.
I was leary about running the D35/30 combo with this motor simply cause i've destroyred 2 D35s with the 4.0L (4.56 and 35's) in the past and actually bent the axle tubes. So a D44 or 60 would be in order. I went overkill to a D70 rear and D44 front both 8bolt full floaters and haven't had a problem yet running 38's. If your using a smaller tire (31 or 32) and 4.10 or even 4.56s you might be ok. The larger axles also allow you to run larger U-joints.
A stock 304 is similar in power to the 4.0L but keep in mind mine has been balanced, cammed, and ported to match intake and header flanges as well as remove all internal casting marks and square corners.

Just used the 4.0L flex plate and made a new debris guard plate (bottom section) everything else just went together. What year is your motor and what was it out of ? Mine was a 72 from a Javelin and the AW-4 from an 88 Cherokee.

I don't know what year mine is from or the original vehicle. I used a 727 flexplate that was externally balanced for that motor. Probably should have had an AW4 flexplate rebalanced.

If it had a 727 flex plate it probably came out of a javelin or sum 2wd vehicle i turfed it cause the AW-4s torque converter wouldnt bolt up to it and didn't want to redrill it. I never rebalanced the 4.0L flex plate and it works.

Ludakris said:
if your going to do a swap go with the 5.7L Hemi, its dimensionally smaller than the 4.7L and will fit much nicer under the hood. Mopar offers a crate version with all ya need... $6K or so...

A 5.7 Hemi crate engine would be nice and if it bolts up to the AW4, it would be even nicer to avoid the expense of swapping in a tranny as well. At $6000 it still ain't cheap though and a Chevy 350 swap with adapter kit for the AW4 would be way cheaper.
The Dodge/Jeep Magnum 5.2/5.9 should bolt straight up to the AW4 making this a neat swap.

Re: 4.7L grand swape

The Chrysler LA (318, 340, 360) engines. Theyre a totally different engine design from the AMC pattern I-6 and AMC V8s (like the AMC 360, Chrysler 360 is different) AMC will connect fine to an AW4 or AX15. The Chrysler work with a 727 tranny for example. AW4 would require some adapting.

Honestly though, I wouldn't put a Chrysler 360 in an XJ. I have on in my rarely used 77 Dodge powerwagon. Its not my favorite engine out there. Its got great low end torque but not very fast, isin't fuel friendly and its kind of hard to work on. The distributor for example is behind the carb (in a tight spot) and I have to climb into the engine bay and sit on the wheel well to do tune-up work. Also, I think its a hot blooded motor and you know what that means in an XJ. That thing puts off a tons of heat, in the passenger compartment even with its massive 3-core rad.

If I wanted a v8 xj, I would put a Ford 5.0 from a bronco, pickup or mustang late 80s early 90s. Why? Its a cooler running motor, simple for a DIYer to wire up injection, compact, junkyards have tons of parts for them, and there are whole catalogues dedicated to 5.0 bolt ons so that stuff is cheap.

Or if I diddn't want to use adaptors or wanted more displacement, I'd go with an AMC block (have the dist. in front BTW) these are less common but I've seen some in the yards.

All this stroker and V-8 swap talk...im going 4 cylinder...
thefinger.gif

Back