• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7L grand swap

after loads of research, i think ive come to a conculsion and i have a web site. i was considering the 4.7 because it was smaller, better gas milage than a Stoked 4.0, wouldn't have to upgrade to a huge expesive transmission, just seemed like a good idea to check out. like previously stated, it would cost a shit ton to get a 4.7, so i started looking at the 5.2(318) its fuel injected and easily adaptable to the NP 435 which is a stinkin awesome tranny. they are cheap and readily available and easily converted. i will keep yall updated with pictures and stuff. website http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/mopar_small_block.htm

I worked at a chrysler dealer for about 8 moths as a tech in the shop, just general maitance and stuff, you wouldn't belive how many of those trannys we put in to grands and durangos. i'm sorry but i completely disagree with your statement of that being an awesome tranny. i have driven to many of them that are slipping and shifting wierd and the people who drive them think that it is normal, which bothers me. Agreed that it is built "beefy" enough to handle the power but, they don't last very long at all. drove a 99 durango with that same trans that had 15k on it and the trans fluid was cooked and trans was almost dead, and the guy that owned it said that it had been like that ever since new. this case was repeated atleast 4-6 times a week as i was doing brakes and test drives to check out other problems.

also a note on the 5.2, great motor good power for size and feels strong, however gas milage i think is a little low for motors of comparable power and size, the 4.7 is crap i have very bad exerinces with that thing :( the 5.2 and 5.9 are eactly the same size externally and the power difference is noticable and properly geared the 5.9 can get better milage i would look into that route if it was me.

Just my .02

Jerms

I'm not sure what Jerms is talking about, the NP435 is indeed a stout tranny if you aren't looking for an OD.

I agree with 5-90 on staying away from the ultra modern stuff. Post OBD-II engines are a royal pain to swap in. I believe that the ultimate XJ V8 is a Ford 5.0 set up with the 87-93 Mustang SEFI. This engine is compact, powerful and heavily supported in the aftermarket. 87-93 injection is about as simple as you can get for swap wiring and tons of go-fast goodies are available from the mail order catalogs.

5.0/AOD/Early Bronco Dana 20 combo would be an almost ideal V8 drivetrain in a Jeep

xjnation said:
hey dyno the whole world is not into strokers. and it had nothing to do with the thread, like usual your chest pounding is getting annoying

My usual chest pounding? That's one I've never heard before!
Another thing, swapping in a 4.7 V8 with the engine computer, wiring, sensors, ignition, fuel system, and transmission is a lot more complicated and expensive than building a stroker, but I guess you didn't think of that when you made your "chest pounding" comment. I'm not against V8 swaps and if someone's brave enough to do it, good for him/her. Anyone contemplating such a swap should realise that it's not a simple procedure and it involves a lot of downtime, whereas you can keep downtime to a minimum by building a stroker long block in your spare time and swapping it in when it's finished.
Oh BTW, to answer your other statement about strokers not going over 100k miles, bear in mind that most stroker engines are less than six years old so they haven't had enough time to reach 100k miles yet. There are several guys in the Yahoo stroker e-group whose strokers are running strong with over 50k miles though. Mine? It's done 15k miles in 15 months so it's barely broken in yet but it has a shedload of power and I love it.

The Grand was avalable with the 4.0ltr 'till 05 when it was replaced with the 3.7ltr. The 5.2ltr was from 93 to 98. The 5.9ltr was 98 only. The 4.7/4.7HO was from 99 to 04. The 05's are 3.7ltr, 4.7ltr (I think its the HO version), and the HEMI. All the trannies in the ZJ/WJ (except the very few (early 93) that came with the Aw4, or 5-speed) are nowhere near as reliable as the Aw4. The Aw4 is accually a strong tranny if taken care of, and will hold up to the most powerfull stroker (400/500hp) if properly built.

Fnd a wrecked 5.2 4x4 dakota. I drive my dads dakota 4x4 every now and then, even pulling a trailer it goes like stink.

To answer the original question plainly, it would be much more work than it's worth.

Dr. Dyno said:
Another thing, swapping in a 4.7 V8 with the engine computer, wiring, sensors, ignition, fuel system, and transmission is a lot more complicated and expensive than building a stroker, but I guess you didn't think of that when you made your "chest pounding" comment. I'm not against V8 swaps and if someone's brave enough to do it, good for him/her. Anyone contemplating such a swap should realise that it's not a simple procedure and it involves a lot of downtime, whereas you can keep downtime to a minimum by building a stroker long block in your spare time and swapping it in when it's finished.
Oh BTW, to answer your other statement about strokers not going over 100k miles, bear in mind that most stroker engines are less than six years old so they haven't had enough time to reach 100k miles yet. There are several guys in the Yahoo stroker e-group whose strokers are running strong with over 50k miles though. Mine? It's done 15k miles in 15 months so it's barely broken in yet but it has a shedload of power and I love it.

I agree with xjnation (dear gawd, did I just say that?). Your incessant insertion of stroker comments in every engine thread is getting annoying. Also, quite frankly, i don't believe your power numbers. Your calculated figures just do not work in the real world. My conservative estimate is that a stroker built for trail use puts out MAYBE 40 more horsepower to the rear wheels. So my original Renix 177 goes to 207 at the crank. Run that power through a heavy duty drivetrain, and 35+ inch mud tires, and I bet you see about 150 HP at the wheels. Please show me a dyno sheet with torque curves, and we can discuss further.

Don't get me wrong, the 40 HP is appreciated, but to be really fun, a built trail rig needs 300 HP/350 ft/lbs at the crank to really scoot along. I don't believe you can get this with a stroker without forced induction, not in streetable, trail RPM torque, anyway.

The 4.7 V-8 feels great in the Durango's I've driven. I can't comment on the longevity, but our fleet vehicles don't have obvious problems, and get decent mileage. Very smooth motor that loves to rev. Don't know how the bellhousing mates up to any available transmissions. Looking at the motor, it will fit in the engine bay. The wiring for the motor looks pretty much stand-alone, meaning you could run the engine/tranny with those ECU/TCUs, and keep the rest of the wiring out of it.

You could not pay me enough money to run the 5.2/5.98 series of motors. They have always been crap, since they were conceived in the late 50's. SeanP is curently chasing the standard vacuum leaks at the intake manifold that ALL of the late model 5.9's have. It's a good time, as I am sure he can attest. Stay away from the 5.2/5.9.

xjnation said:
lol my bad was drawing while posting.....never heard of the 4.7 V8
Youve been here for how many years, and made close to 3000 posts on this board, and have "never heard of the 4.7 V8" ???

How is that possible? Wow.

As for the swap, if youre going to swap a V8 into an XJ and declare it completely emissions illegal in the process, you might as well go all out and toss the idea of the weak 4.7 and find something with some actual balls.

Even if you had the complete engine sitting right there next to your jeep for cheap or free, it still wouldnt be a cost effective swap by the time you were finished. As mentioned before, its an OHC engine with wide dimensions and is going to cause a lot of problems with clearence in the engine bay.

Keep the engine you have and stroke or supercharge it. If you are hellbent on a V8, get yourself a 350. Vortec, preferably.

From my Dad's experiance the 318 is a better motor that the 360, but if you could locate it and get it to pass emissions, a 340 (perhaps a stroked one :D)would be the best bet on the LA lineup. Mopar Now (no longer in publication and sibling to Mopar Action and published by Harris Pub. and Grill. They're one of the few Mopar Mags that will do anything for Jeeps and FWD's) did a comparo of a 4.7l SLT reg cab/short bed Dak and a 5.9l R/T reg cab/short bed and found the 4.7 was the faster of the two trucks. I'd go stroker 4.0 or if I won the lotto, send mine to AEV and have a SRT-8 Hemi dropped into it, but hey that's just me!

Dr. Dyno said:

90% of your posts are how bitchin your junk is....yet for a name of DYNO, we have never seen actual graph and numbers, just alot of hearsay.

Most the guys here would not be able to afford to build a seperate long block then swap it in at our leisre.

As for a V8 swap. Down time?

If the entire swap vehicle was available as suggested the swap would be fairly painless and could be done in a long weekend being able to

and for your info many of us actually drive our rigs, my 96 gets more miles per week than yours sees in a mont it would appear and 250,000 mile 95 and 96's are very common. We average 40,000 to 50,000 miles a year on ours

Last edited:
Will it bolt up to an AW4? just curious. as far as the stroker discussion, I've had one for a few years, yes it makes more power than stock but most of the HP ratings and torque ratings I've seen seem a bit inflated. Mine runs well and has about 5 k miles on it since done. It'll be coming out, sold and replaced with an LT1...stroker or not...the 6cyl. is no roller V8. :laugh3:

BIGWOODY said:
Will it bolt up to an AW4? just curious. as far as the stroker discussion, I've had one for a few years, yes it makes more power than stock but most of the HP ratings and torque ratings I've seen seem a bit inflated. Mine runs well and has about 5 k miles on it since done. It'll be coming out, sold and replaced with an LT1...stroker or not...the 6cyl. is no roller V8. :laugh3:

No matter which option you choose its still cheaper and easier to regear for your available hosrepower, It never ceases to amaze me though a 1300 cc suzuki will still perform just as well ont he trail as a stroker or V8 powered rig,

no matter what you do ya still gotta regear for the power available.

and the newest bombshell........gas prices! Stroker or V8 will never get as a stock 4.0. poor fuel economy and additional heat are 2 negative by products of either also

Dr. Dyno said:
most stroker engines are less than six years old so they haven't had enough time to reach 100k miles yet. There are several guys in the Yahoo stroker e-group whose strokers are running strong with over 50k miles though. Mine? It's done 15k miles in 15 months so it's barely broken in yet but it has a shedload of power and I love it.

65k on my 4.6 and pulls as hard as new, with 0 oil consumption...

xjnation said:
and the newest bombshell........gas prices! Stroker or V8 will never get as a stock 4.0. poor fuel economy and additional heat are 2 negative by products of either also

I also get 20mpg highway on 85-87 octane pump gas at 195 operating temp...

xjnation said:
uh sure...what ever you say.... :wierd:

I see... so I've got opinions based on real-life personal experience, and your opinions are based on.....?

xj-grin said:
65k on my 4.6 and pulls as hard as new, with 0 oil consumption...

I also get 20mpg highway on 85-87 octane pump gas at 195 operating temp...

I get better gas mileage with my stroker than my tired old 4.0 as well.

18.6 fully loaded, towing my Jeep trailer. -2.0 with the A/C running.

CRASH

Back