• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.6L Stroker, Help me build it please!

No necessity but it seems almost everyone has it done, I have no way of knowing if this is because everyone has blocks and heads that need to be trued up, or if the Machine shops all want to do it to make a little more, or if it's simply that because all the stroker info (web, the Yahoo group etc.) says to machine the block and head.

Obviously if you don't need either then you wont need to get the pistons dished as much.

Can you go 21cc of dish with Keith Black silvolights? Are you going to have any quench area left on the piston if you do?

1bolt said:
.Obviously if you don't need either then you wont need to get the pistons dished as much.

Can you go 21cc of dish with Keith Black silvolights? Are you going to have any quench area left on the piston if you do?

A.) I was looking at decking the block to get the quench down about .02" or so; at least closer to stock.

After messing around with the calculator I can see that its possible to not need to take off that much to get a decent CR.

I really need to do this when I dont have to be awake in 5 hours.

Last edited:
I read the whole thing too at one point I just never remember numbers that aren't important for something I'm doing right then and there, 19cc's was sticking in my head but I was probably thinking of something else.

Lower CR (within the bounds we're talking about i.e. typical mid 8 to 1 and higher) wont hurt anything just lower the power gains you get. Low 9's with decent quench should be okay if you choose a cam that gives good dynamic compression.

That said I have 9.2:1 and have fought ping over the years on hot days, Now I run 93 all summer just for piece of mind. But when I was running 87 octane I only had ping when idling for an extended time (underhood temps with cone filter in the engine bay NOT a good mod, keep your factory air box), and when the AW4 shifted into 4th around town when I was only feathering the throttle at medium speeds... In other words when the AW4 decided to lug the engine. After making my cowl hood and sealing the intake to the opening ping went away even under those circumstances even on the hottest day...

I was planning on keeping the stock cam to keep costs down. From what Ive read Dr. Dyno is running 9.2 with the stock cam. I know he has some other little things to help him, but iirc he's still putting 200hp at the rear wheels. I know I probly wont be near that, but I know Ill be able to have a running engine. Id like to keep CR below or at 9.5 and the quench close to stock.

As far as resurfacing the head. I beleve the spec is to resurface it if it is warped more than .005 front to back. I will know for sure tomorow when I print out my prosis for my 4.0. You might want to see if the shop has a lapping plate that can be used to get rid of any high spots on the head. If they do it should only take a few minutes to clean it up. My 4.0 core will be delivered to the shop I work at tomorow. I havent decided if it will be a stroker yet.
Another thing to keep in mind, there is another way to lower the compression. You could have the valves ground some more, recut the seats or do some grinding in the chamber. If you do your grinding in the right spots in the chamber it will improve the airflow.

~Alex

Wow this thread got active.

Just to give you all my progress. I have everything done just not assembled. Just need to buy a timming chain cover and pushrods. I started putting in bearings and misplaced my rear main seal so I need to buy another one then I can put it together. Saturday I plan to do this.

Some bad news. My dad broke my porter cable compressor so Ill be doing some hand sanding on the oil pan surfaces. And I still need to blast my valve cover and paint it. Also still looking for a 99 compatible ps braket and 96 fuel rail. Should have it all finishd mid feb and ready to install. Ill get pictures up sunday maybe.

Year of planning and a year or assembling better equal a good engine.

After some delay..... I printed out my 4.0 prosis. AERA spec is .008 overall warpage, I wouldnt run a head that badly warped on my engine, but they say its alright to do.

~Alex

Flash here's the damn Spec sheet. Sorry it took so long. Felt like doing some for of work on my motor tonight even if it was sharing. If you want a cost sheet I have that, but it need to be sent by email Im to lazy to upload it to a web host.

StrokerCalc.jpg

Guess what guys? Started putting her together today.

Got the crank, pistons, cam, cam gears, head studs and oil pump in. Here's some pictures, and one of my pictures is accomanied with a question. Also found my cam's spring and rod today so I dont have to order one.

img214.jpg

img215.jpg

img216.jpg

Question: Which spacer goes on the cam gear? I have two. One is skinny and has a large diameter, and another is fat with a small diameter. I know one goes on the cam gear and the other on the harmonic balancer.

Also anyone have some pictures of the oil slinger and where and how to install it? This is something Im at a lost about.

And what keeps the crank gear from walking? Or is it suppose to rub against the number ONE crank bearing?

img217.jpg

Dont worry the water cannal bolts have thread locker as do all of them.

img218.jpg

Those interested in deck clearance here's the best picture I could do.

Sorry for the quality I didnt bring my good camera. Will get some better shots soon.

NEXT: Lifters, push rods, rockers, head, and check for piston slap. Then timming chain cover and a few other gaskets and other assorted parts. Then head up to YELLAJEEPS house and pull some fuel and air parts I need, and get a few things machined. So APRIL is FINISH MY STROKER MONTH! And may is get the stroker in month. And June is GET LIFTED MONTH!

Stay tunned because I finally got money to get the SOB finished.

What ever became of Joshua and his stroker?

<nods head> after all that work... do you crazy kids out there never think about what you'll be doing in a few years when you start these things? :laugh:... crap now I feel old...

To many bad things have happened, and the project has exhausted me. Also with going to school and work fulltime I will never have the time to complete it. Then theres the moving to a smaller house part.

Im sure I would have enjoyed having it done, but my life style now doesnt allow me to own a old car, or one that gets 13-15mpg.

Sorry it had to end, but Im sure many people will learn alot through this 2 year old post. And this shall be my legacy to NAXJA.

1bolt said:
do you crazy kids out there never think about what you'll be doing in a few years when you start these things? :laugh:... crap now I feel old...

Hey I finished mine, and in kinda a short time..

It would at least be a fitting end and an honor to your Jeep.
x2

I must admit this thread was a huge inspiration for me and a large source of information. Thank you XJoshua for helping pave the way if nothing else.

Last edited:
Hey I finished mine, and in kinda a short time..

x2

I must admit this thread was a huge inspiration for me and a large source of information. Thank you XJoshua for helping pave the way if nothing else.

Wow. I know its been awhile since Ive been on here, well a really long time. Im back to owning a Toyota. A Toyota MR2 to be exact. Not exactly a good car for carrying friend in, since it only seats 2, but it helps save me cash with my travels from work, to school, to home, and rinse and repeat.

This makes me really happy to hear that this thread has inspired and informed people. Im always into helping people, makes me feel better about life.

The XJ at the moment is garaged. Looks like a wreck, and after I fubar'd the transmission pan I pretty much seeked a more dependable car being the MR2. She stills runs, just needs some Dexron II every once in awhile. No one has seeked interest in the XJ, well one MR2 owner did, but lost interest in it once he found out its a incomplete build. I lowered the price by nearly 50% to $2750, which is less than the money I put into building the motor.

I just felt like stopping by, and telling everyone thanks for the support. And that I am still alive and living well. College is going by great, have a great girlfriend, and a great job at OfficeMax. Life is finally looking up. And this thread has boosted my confidence in life. Thank you NAXJA!!!

Back