• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 to 4.88 potential overgearing?

I wouldnt mind it...I'm just wondering how the tranmission and 4.0 will take it for as many miles as I put on it for highway use..

before I forget...how will they do towing? I tow a sea doo..and ill effects from it?

The trans and the 4.0 will not care one bit. No ill effect, no long term damage.

Some people will tell you that you will lose gas mileage. That is the opposite of my experience, but your mileage may vary.

well it's defintely an ease off my back...

how is it for towing tho? any ill effect...granted the sea doo only ways about 800 pounds.

given the above information I mentioned comparing the 8.25 to the 44 and what comes in both package deals..do you think i should bight the bullet and swap in the new set of axles?

Towing will be fine.

In your shoes, I swapped them out and went to a 44 with 4.88's.

Take that for what it is worth I guess.

Another vote for 4.88s. I run them with 33s (km2 to be exact) and love it. Plenty of power and grunt, awesome in 4low in the rocks and trails, and pretty good MPG for a lifted heavy brick.

Before I regeared I went and test drove a few xjs....
- 4.56 and 33s : Not to bad felt just about "right" could of used more power on hills as it wanted to downshift still
- 4.56 and 35s: Def undergeared, needed more gear

I figured since both could of used a bit more power 4.88s was the answer. I was worried about gear strength and whatnot but honestly the difference between 4.56 and 4.88 is minimal in a dana 30, there both small. I run an aussie up front and a no slip in the rear and its awesome, I usually average around 15 mpg mixed driving and have gotten 20 mpg hand calculated with a corrected speedo on long highway trips.

Don't fear the gear man, your gona love 4.88s.

the way i see it, you already got 4.56's you go to 4.88's thats gonna cost ya money, run what ya got, its not gonna make a epic diffrence

the way i see it, you already got 4.56's you go to 4.88's thats gonna cost ya money, run what ya got, its not gonna make a epic diffrence

He's spending money either way. He either has to rebuild his 30, or sell his axles as they are and buy another set that are already setup.

I don't know how much he'd sell his stuff for vs what he's paying for the other axles, but we could be talking a couple of hundred bucks difference, to get a better rear end and deeper gears..

Just wait until you're trying to decide whether or not to build a stroker.

... opinions will *really* come out then. :)

Just wait until you're trying to decide whether or not to build a stroker.

... opinions will *really* come out then. :)

yea boy o boy I can't wait...

So to inform all those I made the deal on the axles. And will be picking them up next week. I have on last question. How much of a pain in the A$$ is it to truss one of these axles? Do I have to build a jig. I have been searching for a while but the things that I read were pretty ridiculous. One of them involved chains and a bottle jack...anyway if anyone has any good information on how to properly truss it let me know...I'm familiar with the companies that offer the truss, just going about doing it has me worried about warping the axle.

there are many commercially available pre-made truss's you jsut buy and weld on.

google 'dana 30 truss' and 'dana 44 truss'.

The axle itself shouldnt warp much but I'm no super experienced welder, if you move around and don't keep the heat in one spot to long I doubt much will happen.

Some trusses especially for the 30 have new coil mounts and suspension mounts but from what I have read people have run into issues with alignment of these and the style of coil buckets they come with ect. I have a feeling it was relating to front 44s but I would def look into it for TNT's 30 truss.

Your gona like the .88s man you made a good choice, plus you got disks and chromo's in the rear? For a 100 bucks and a night or so of work I think you made a damn good deal!

sorry haha kind of went right over my head about the price..but pretty happy chromos front and rear now...pretty stoked...just need to beef up the 30 probably an OX locker eventually....but i need to do some more digging on trussing the 30 thanks for the opinions Garf...anyone else have any experience with trussing the axle?

Back