• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:1 transfer case's

kewlkatdady said:
you could also use the OEM Rock TRAC 4:1 from the TJ (rubby)...

I read an article about that last month. It seemed fairly easy and bolt in.

Good 1. I was thinking the same thing, that is if you have to do a SYE, 4:1 etc on a 231, you should rather get this Rock Trac case and be done with it, plus it is alot stronger. I think it goes for $1,400-1,600 new, and the atlas is around $2,200+. I might look into that Rock trac if I can sell my 231 with SYE kit for some $$$ to offset the cost a bit. This and a long arm conv are some good winter projects, that is if I can pay off some bills and free up some $$$, maybe down the road. :doh:
Troy

What's a "flip kit" and why do you need to do it to a D300?
And why do you need an SYE?
How low geared do you need to go? He plans on going on the Dusy-Ershim trail so we'll work with that for trail difficulty. With a stock 2.72 trans case he'll have an overall ratio of about 39:1. With the 4:1 he'd have 57:1. Is this low enough for a rocky trail? Thanks for all the idea's so far.

Jes said:
It's all in what trails you run, the bigger the rocks the lower the gears.
I have a 4.3:1 and have never regretted it and actually, there are times where I wish I had a lower gear ratio.

The "spacer" between the tanny and T-case is the adaptor housing and to eliminate that would require a lot of custom work. I'd like to see that done although I doubt it's possable.

I run an auto so I don't want to go too low. 120 would be just about right after talking to the guys around here.. I haven't found a good answer if elminating the spacer is possible but I plan on trying to.

I"m running a Tera-low now and love it!For my up-coming project I will probably go with the Atlas because of the minor price difference and the additional strength/quietness.My only concern is that the front driveshaft gets even shorter!

Jes said:
Who said it's weaker than an Atlas?
Since you seem to know so much about the D300 how long have you been running one? Did you use the LoMax gears? How much was the total cost, gears, flipkit, HD outputs, the D300, etc.? How much time did it take you to put it together? These are all the things I'd like to know.
I assumed your "kinda like putting a HD chain in a 231" comment was implying that building a D300 is polishing a turd.

I haven't run a D300, but it's a major consideration for the future (enough that I spent a lot more to get a 23 spline AW4 rather than a 21 spline). I could put it together with 4:1, flipped, with 32 spline outputs, and twin sticks, for about $1200. It would require a fair amount of labor, but that's just the way I do things.

BrettM said:
I assumed your "kinda like putting a HD chain in a 231" comment was implying that building a D300 is polishing a turd.

That's what I was implying.
Geeze, kids these days can't take a joke.

tnomud said:
I have a 241OR in one of my XJ's and love it.................

How easy/hard is the install? How much do get it to work, $1,600? Did you get the 1310 yokes to reuse your driveshafts or upgrade to the 1330's case side/1310 axle side?

Back