• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31x10.50 in stock spare location

So easy it looks like I just extended the factory bolt and removed the factory bracket and slapped the tire in there :dunno:

Is it possible that the seats are different from year/model to another? I ask because there was no way in hell a 31" spare would fit in my wife's previous 94 sport. And again there is no way in hell one will fit in my 96 sport. I can see possibly a worn tire with no air pressure in it but otherwise no way, in these 2 rigs. I tried everything in the 94 to get it to work after reading a few threads here, even tried it even though it didnt look like it would ect. I do think there is a possibility that the seat back was thinner in my 90 limited and it might have been possible there but never tried(always had 33s)

And FYI I was using an almost new BFG MT non KM. Not trying to discourage anyone, just trying to figure out how it is possible. Maybe we should send this in to Mythbusters...

anyone know what the thread size is on this stud? i've figured out that i can get my 30x9.50x15 in there if i use a coupler nut and stud..but i just dont know what thread size...

I put a 31x10.50 on a stock jeep wheel back there using nothing but the stock hardware on my '98 Classic. Fits no problem.

Even after taking out the lower bracket and wrestling with my 31X10.5 the only way I can get it reasonable is leaving the tire at an angle and bungy strapping the tire to the side of the wall.

It sounds like there might be a difference between the 97+ and the 96- models. What I've noticed is that most of the posts above that say it'll fit have a 97+, while the nay-sayers have old Jeeps.

i cant get my 32 to fit back there. i would like a rear tire carrier but not sure if the stocker would hold the weight of a 32 so as of now its laying flat in the rear holding all my straps and air line

wall04 said:
Nope. It won't fit. I have the exactly same tire and tried fitting it where my old spare was. I must have worked it for 20 minutes before I gave up. Now, it's just sitting in back.

I even removed that stamped metal thing that holds the tire up and it still wouldn't sit right the way I want it. I have not decided if I'm going to fit a cable in there to hold it up to the drivers side or what.:dunno:

Thats funny....I better take my 31x1050 out of the back of my 99 XJ.... considering everyone is saying it won't fit.....I wonder why my Goodyear Wrangler AT fits? I dropped the air to 30 psi and I have the stereo speakers on the roof being it is a limited.:huh:

just lay it down in the back, and secure it with the cargo ties... then you have no issues at all! works fine for me anyways...

wacho4 said:
Also someone on here made an adapter plate for under the rear seat latch. It moved the seat back up just a few degrees and gave him a little more room. Not sure who it was...

go-jeep.

HERE is the link.

also, in my 96 a brand new 3lbs 31x1050 kelly safari awr fits like a glove with nothing but a loner bolt.

joshv98xj said:
It sounds like there might be a difference between the 97+ and the 96- models. What I've noticed is that most of the posts above that say it'll fit have a 97+, while the nay-sayers have old Jeeps.

I have a 94 and my 31" is on the stock spare mount.

Also keep in mind that all 31s aren't necessarily 31" tall. I went from 31" BFG a/ts to 32" TSLs, it was more than a 1" difference in diameter.

noaffiliationsti said:
so i take it no one knows the answer to my question........?????????

Nope. I just brought the factory rod into the hardware store and found one that works, it was like 2 years ago so I don't remember what size it was.

noaffiliationsti said:
well i have a 89 and the stud isn't long enough if the tire is standing straight up..

what i did was flip the tire around so the inner side of the rim was facing away from the mount bracket, what this did was move the face of the wheel closer to the bracket, thus allowing me to use the stock stud. I also have it going through one of the lug holes not the center.

noaffiliationsti said:
well i have a 89 and the stud isn't long enough if the tire is standing straight up..

Go to Home Depot and buy a clothesline hook (just a bolt with a J on the end). I think the one I got was 3/8" x 8" long. Cost like $1.25.
Even though it's SAE thread and the OE one is metric, the plastic wing nut threads on pretty well.

PC270022.jpg

PC270020.jpg

Back