• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3-link

CJS

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody built a 3-link w/ long arms for the front? I was either gonna do radius arms or a 3-link and wanted to know who had done it and how. Pros/Cons of both would be nice too.

When you say three link, are we talking two lowers and a wishbone upper? One regular lower, and one RE long arm style lower? Two regular lowers and a third torque arm upper (RockKrawler style)? A radius arm style with a Panhard bar?

CRASH

Well I'm running a three link witch is two lowers and one upper simila to the RE but with only one upper. I have so bugs to work out of it with the location of the upper mount to the lower arm that is causing some odd drivaabliity issuses but its a heck of alot better that short arms at 6in and the travel is incredible its enough that i haqd to lenghten my bump stops so the top of the spring wouldn't fall of the spring tower.

When you say three link, are we talking two lowers and a wishbone upper? One regular lower, and one RE long arm style lower? Two regular lowers and a third torque arm upper (RockKrawler style)? A radius arm style with a Panhard bar?

I meant to lowers (long arms) and a wishbone upper. My only concern was how you could build the upper to clear the oil pan.

On our xj's i think that it is better to do a reverse triangulated 4 link. Where the uppers start above the lowers and then angle in toward the middle on a crossmeber some where under the trans. The only problem with this design is trying to get the crossmeber beefy enough to handel the stress. Good luck

Jerm S.

If you're going for a full awn trail rig running full awn hydro, I'd go this route in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I'd build a double triangulated 4 link or a 3 link non-wishbone style with a trac bar (still a 4 link in my book). Dial up folks are gonna hate me:eek:

Sean

1051071251_Untitled_10.jpg

1051071281_Untitled_11.jpg

1051071314_Untitled_8.jpg

1051071357_Untitled_9.jpg

Hey OneTon, do you still wheel that thing, or is it just for show? :D

BTW, you only count arms from the side. BOTW, are you gonna make it?

Are we going to have another long three link discussion here? Long arms....wishbones.......who needs 'em. ;)

I guess I'll probably just end up going with radius arms, should I use a johnny joint on the cross member end?

Why couldn’t a modified track bar with a stiffened pivot at one end do the job of the upper control arms? I’m thinking like 4-inch long hinge type pivots at the axel end of the track bar. With long arms of course…

Jerm S. said:
On our xj's i think that it is better to do a reverse triangulated 4 link. Where the uppers start above the lowers and then angle in toward the middle on a crossmeber some where under the trans. The only problem with this design is trying to get the crossmeber beefy enough to handel the stress. Good luck

Jerm S.

Are you talking about a V arm with a single pivot or a parallel four arm with rear upper/lower pivots.Room is the biggest problem,the crossmember is the easiest,Im starting on my setup this weekend!

Well Mr. Goat, as I'm standing to the side of your junk, i can still count 4 links 3 going left to right, one going straight out from me :rolleyes:

No BOTW for me, gonna do the Paragon trip, Tellico trip, Moab trip, and I'm trying to get in a couple of Badlands and Windrock trips. My plate is full and I'm tryin to buy an 8274.

Sean

OneTonXJ said:
Well Mr. Goat, as I'm standing to the side of your junk, i can still count 4 links 3 going left to right, one going straight out from me :rolleyes:

No BOTW for me, gonna do the Paragon trip, Tellico trip, Moab trip, and I'm trying to get in a couple of Badlands and Windrock trips. My plate is full and I'm tryin to buy an 8274.

Sean

Straight out.......... :rolleyes: Is that new math? :)

We're going to miss you, but it sounds like you have plenty of runs coming up. We're looking forward to seeing what those CO rigs are made of.......it would have been fun if you were there. :D

I shamelessly followed Oneton into the 3 link zone... It works great after solving some issues with the upper link connection at the axle... I'll just give ya one pic (ps I use ram assist but my drag link is totally flat...)

new_lowers2.jpg

Matt

Matt, I'm going to shamelessly copy your upper link for my redo next month. Can you send me some detailed pics to [email protected] . Or just direct me to wherever you may keep your photos. This outta make Mr. Hinkley a happy camper.

Sean

Its actually a trailer spindle and rides on timken tapered roller bearings... :D I works really nicely - you could almost run a single plane pivot on the axle attachement as it handles the axle articulation so well...

Matt

Sean..."dial up guys are goin' hate me".....we already do!!!! What are you willing to spend for a winch? I think I can find one.

Back