• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Lift Enough For A Mall Crawler?

If you are going to drive another 4-5000 miles on the current set of tires, why don't you take the time to lift it first, then when that is done, go get the tires? It's not going to hurt anything to drive on a lift with smaller tires than you'd like. You can do all the measuring and looking that you want now, but reality of the situation is that what you "THINK" it will look like by jacking up the truck and trying on new shoes will likely not be what it looks like when the lift is on...due to settling and the "Jeep lean."

That makes sense. I plan on doing the lift before the tires, I just figured it would make sense to mock it up first.

Can you tell me what the "Jeep lean" is?

Also, chances are that when you get the lift on your going to find a half dozen other little piddley things that will need to be addressed anyway, and you can work on them before the tires go on.

I agree. Since I'm putting on new wheels, I figured I could have them mounted and balanced and ready to go. If there are other things that need to be resolved with the lift, I can always put the old wheels and tires back on and not lose my daily driver while I work them out.

If you are bound and determined to fiddle with tires BEFORE you do your lift, I wouldn't jack it up anywhere. If your Firestone guy is as good as you say, I'd ask him to put on the tires, then use the lift arms under the frame rail and have them lift the body 3". That will be the most accurate and all 4 corners will lift at the same time at the same height.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Your order of planning befuddles me....it doesn't seem like a reasonable pathway from point A to point B.

Sorry. I've been told I'm more the good-lookin'-type, not the smart-type.

Here's a rake for you. 3" front and 4" rear lift with 31s on 3.75" backspacing wheels. Just barely caught the rear of the front flare turning, with no rub on stock arms.

2a19f394b1d6ed4b5a546b702ff2f5b4.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Wow, that looks GREAT! Perfect stance!

Do you have any more photos? I would love to see a rear view, and some 3/4 shots.

What size tires are those? I know they're 31" tall; what about the rest?

Those are 31x10.5 r15 BFG with 15x8 wheels of 3.75" backspacing.

1a875b9c7275576165af48995fcbcc86.jpg

08198baf43cc06a0a69f29ea91e539ba.jpg

I sold them and went to stock rims and 30x9.5 r15 bc I didn't like the 31s and 3.55 gear combination.

07870c3202f2f54c7f5e521d250590cc.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

That makes sense. I plan on doing the lift before the tires, I just figured it would make sense to mock it up first. I personally wouldn't take the time to mock up something that is several steps down the line...but that's just me.

Can you tell me what the "Jeep lean" is? Once you get everything on and the Jeep settles, it will invariably sit unevenly. Example, the drivers front might droop further than the passenger front. I know mine does. The right side sits higher than the left. Last time I had the rear springs off I swapped them L to R to see if that helped. It did a little but not much. The front still rakes downward left.

What didn't you like about 31s and 3:55s?

It's a turd, but not also lol
my thoughts with that setup is that weight makes a difference. My jeep at 4,000 lbs and me, drive just fine and never really had issues on hills, BUT you add in a couple more passengers or tools, misc, etc.... And the jeep becomes a turd. You keep it light and you shouldn't have an issue, start loading it with things and you're gonna notice it real quick

It's a turd, but not also lol
my thoughts with that setup is that weight makes a difference. My jeep at 4,000 lbs and me, drive just fine and never really had issues on hills, BUT you add in a couple more passengers or tools, misc, etc.... And the jeep becomes a turd. You keep it light and you shouldn't have an issue, start loading it with things and you're gonna notice it real quick

It's amazing that 1" in tire height makes that much of a difference, isn't it?

What lift kit/components did you use to get that awesome stance?

I have 31s and 3.55s. My Jeep really lugs up hills and acceleration is barely adequate on level ground. Am carrying a hundred pound rack, another two in ladders, as well as more gear inside. Might be manageable with a stick but the auto is a dog. The worst is traffic slowing down right before you have to go up a steep hill. It just bogs down.

Have an appointment in July for a gear swap to 4.56. Can't wait.

p.s. I drive mostly on hilly roads in PA, with very little highway driving.

Just like the other posts, it was a brick. With me, my gf and the dog, it would be acceptable driving. until you came to a hill - it would bog down and really struggle to climb. The transmission also shifted around, a lot. If I added passengers, gear, or heaven forbid I towed my boat, the Jeep just could not do it. I went from an average of 16.5mpg down to 13mpg, with just the tire change, as well. That little 1" difference is apparently the threshold. After this set of tires I'm looking to regear to 4.11/4.56 and get some 31.5" tires.

It's amazing that 1" in tire height makes that much of a difference, isn't it?

What lift kit/components did you use to get that awesome stance?

My lift has Rusty's 3" coils (I added a 1" spacer later to reach 4" ), RoughCountry adjustable track bar, SYE kit, Old Man Emu HD leafs (gave 3.25"), Rusty's 3/4" extended shackles, and Bilstein 5100 shocks. Extended bumpstops still set up for 31s, so I'm ready!

Just like the other posts, it was a brick. With me, my gf and the dog, it would be acceptable driving. until you came to a hill - it would bog down and really struggle to climb. The transmission also shifted around, a lot. If I added passengers, gear, or heaven forbid I towed my boat, the Jeep just could not do it. I went from an average of 16.5mpg down to 13mpg, with just the tire change, as well. That little 1" difference is apparently the threshold. After this set of tires I'm looking to regear to 4.11/4.56 and get some 31.5" tires.

So, the original tires that came on my Jeep were 28 1/4" tall. The 255/70 15s I replaced them with were 29" tall, and I never noticed any change in drivability.

The 245/70 16s on it now are 29 1/2" tall, and I've noticed a minor change. The only time I really notice it is if I'm driving with the cruise control on at 50-55, and get into some hills. When I do, it downshifts a lot. I've always thought it was odd; the hills it does it on aren't that steep.

My buddy's Jeep Liberty broke down last summer. I towed it 50 miles on a flatbed trailer and didn't have any problem at all until we got to a really long, steep hill. By the time I got to the top of it, was in 1st gear, and had it floored. That was an extreme situation, though.

I'd never really thought about it before, but the tires on it now are only 1 1/4" taller than stock, and I notice a difference in drivability. The stories y'all are telling about 31s, which are another 1 1/2" taller than what's on it now are kinda freaking me out.

I definitely don't want to have to re-gear, so I'm now thinking I don't want to get much taller than the 29 1/2" tires on it now.

All of the 255/65 17s I see list the diameter at around 30 1/2". My tire guy says he's run the Destination A/T in 265/65 17 on his Wrangler, and they're actually just under 30" tall. I'm going to go take a look.

I've also found what I think is the only A/T tire currently being made in 265/60 17:

http://www.tires-direct.com/cgi-bin...s_shopping&ID=psm_rdb_us_shopping&Country=BUS

I emailed the manufacturer, and they say that tire is 29.49" tall, with a 10.43" section width. That's the same height as what I have, so the drivability shouldn't suffer, and it has more width, which is what I'm looking for.

I'm just not sure about going with a no-name tire from New Zealand.

so you've decided that a 30" tall tire that's about 10" wide is what fits and doesn't ruin the drive ability of your vehicle?

amazeballs.

Back