• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

235x75x15 on 15x8 on stock suspension

The Goodyear wrangler AT's that came on my heep got to be scarry as hell on wet asphalt when they reached about half tread. I was driving down a small hill, not steep, to a t-intersection. Started to brake, and nothing, slid right on through stop sign and almost over the embankment into the ditch. Needless to say they were gone the next day. Some tires that have a high mileage rating seem to have a harder rubber compond that wears good but offers crappy traction in wet conditions. There are a bazillion websites explaining tire ratings as well as siping etc.

I have 245/70 16 on Stock Cherokee classic wheels and I only rub a little in the LCA at full lock. Not a single problem on rain. My tires are MTR's and the wheels are 16x7 stockers.
I have a ser of 33" MTR's on stock Limited 15x7 wheels and they look perfect but I can't use them till my lift arrive.

Ahh, my XJ is a 1990 Limited with a BB.

Vertisce said:
I have a 2001. Like I said the only time it ever rubs is when I am towing a heavy load or have the back really loaded up...and thats just rubbing on the back. There is some backspacing on my rims to make the tread line up with the fenders but I am not exactly positive on the backspacing.

ertisce: What is the exact size, model and backspace of your rims and tires?

I've run 235/75-15 Kelly SUV on 15x7 Factory alloy rims for 100K+ miles with no rubbing or slidding in rain. Installed 31-10.5x15 BFG AT's on factory rims now only the front rub in lock to lock turns after 3 inch lift. Sorry I don't know back spacing on the factory rims.hasta

ny_busboy said:
ertisce: What is the exact size, model and backspace of your rims and tires?

According to the paperwork that I "finally" found on the tires and rims they are

235x75 and the rims dont say what the backspacing is but I know they are 15x8. I get my tires and rims from Discount Tire. I do know that my tires are even with the fenders. They dont actually sit INSIDE the wheelwell like the stock tires and rims do. As for the Model they are BFG All Terrains. If you need more info than that let me know in a PM and ill get the exact word for word stuff and send it to ya.

On my 2001 XJ, stock suspension, 235/75-15 tires on stock 15x7 rims: the tires rub on the stabilizer bar (forward of the hub). The turning radius is noticably affected- I have to do a 3-point turn on a street where my 1990 on 215/75-15 tires can do a u-turn. The larger tires look good, though.

ny_busboy said:
can i fit a 235x75x15 goodyear mt/r on a 15x8 4.75 or 5 backspacing on a stock suspension (2001 cherokee sport)

YES!

unless your suspension is sagged really bad i'd say you shouldnt have problems except at "full lock" with the front.

i have had 3 sets of MT/Rs, 30s, 33s, and now 245/70/16 (31x10) i have NEVER had any wet-traction issues on the street. i had some Wrangler RT/Ss on a TJ a while back and at 50% tread they were total crap. tire SIZE has VERY LITTLE to do with it's ability to handle wet roads. i'd say that loss of traction in the rian is a BIG RED FLAG that you need new tires. or at least a different tread patern.

I've never had any issues with 235's and stock wheels on a stock Cherokee. Good road tires are fine in the rain at that size. I highly recommend Nokian Vaativa's for all season use, and I've had good luck with various flavors of Cooper discoverers. I have Discoverer M&S tires on right now (very blocky, square treads) and they don't hydroplane even through flooded spots on the road.

Watch your speedometer. Both the 93 and 95 read dead on with 235's, no margin for error.

I have an 89 MJ and run 235/75 15 BF Goodrich MT's on stock rims (15x7). I do not have any problems with them. (Other than I just lifted it 4.5 inches, and now they look small.)

My '97 sport has Pirelli Scorpian A/T 235's on stock everything. Nothing rubs anywhere and it drives exactly like it did on on the stock tires except that it has better traction all around. But the better traction is mostly just from going with a better street tire than the stock Goodyears and Dunlop A/T's it had before.

Back