• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 to 242

picked up a 242 from a 92 for $110 is there any writeup on how to change the input shaft? i should probably check the transmission too as the engine was swapped out with a ~93 maybe it has the same year transmission. doubt it but you never know.

Pull the old one first. If you don't wanna count splines, here is the diameter of each. Roughly.

AW4 output splines

21 spline is about 1.08” diameter or 27mm
23 spline is about 1.22” diameter or 31mm

there can be a date code. at at least in my experience.

NP 207 in my 85 has a 1984 date code on the circular tag, I have several 231s with corresponding date code to their years,
Look for it right above the ratio number, normally says "serial no."

Hang on I'll get a pic

Edit:
1f2f4fe1579f1b11dea5f5a326654535.jpg

The old one is easier see the date.

Last edited:
do i need to drain anything to pull it? also fun fact it doesn't seem like my cad works anyhow.
Doesn't matter unless you want to tilt the jeep to put that oil back into the pumpkin. every time I've pulled the CAD apart I've always had gear oil drip out. Just did the axle seals on a 91 xj, drained the Axel first then lifted the jeep up on jack stands (passenger side lifted first), still had oil where the CAD is.

On the 91 the CAD did not work when we got it, part of the problem was oil leaked on the vacuum lines and they came free of the actuator, hunted down all the parts to rebuilt a long time ago. as I remember it the vacuum harness was unique to the 91, although parts catalogues now show 84-93s are the same vacuum harness. anyway the moral of the story was the 91 was a pain to get working and keep working, worked fine since I rebuilt it, however the 85 has never failed and I've done zero work to it, took it all kinds of places where I'd really be screwed if it failed.

What would be the consequences if I did the CAD engage bypass with the axles shafts already in there to the 85? I've already got a newer front drive shaft from when I lifted it, late 90s donor I believe. I don't see what the difference would be doing this over the bypass retrofitting the axle to a one piece shaft.

I did watch a few videos. I finally have the 231 pulled out. The top most bolt refused to come out with out substantial swearing.

I also have the 242 pulled apart. It also appears that it was made in 94.

Also next question is where do I wire it in? Is there some of the wire ran under the hood area? And is it capable of illuminating the full and part time lights? It has a switch on it but I'm not sure if it's a dual switch or just a single switch.

On the 91 and later there is a plug attached to the side of the transmission, one wire is for part-time modes the other is for full-time (ground is through the powertrain). It needs a small sub-harness to reach the indicator switch on the transfer case. I'm not sure about the earlier modes

Hey!! I did the swap in my '00 cause I prefer the 242 over the 231. That was an easy swap out but in order to get the f/t lite to work on dash atleast in '00-'01 models you have to run a single wire from the harness by transfer case up the other end of harness which comes up thru firewall into engine compartment & push into the correct whole plus you might have to put the bulb in behind ya dash. Had 2 previous Jeep. Did it the 1st time said screw it the 2nd time & now the 3rd. Who actually needs a lite to go through those simple shifts.......

Paul

The transfer case came with a 2 pin wire about 1foot long. That was plugged into the switch. I'll check around the transmission but I didn't see anything obvious when I pulled it out.

On the 91 and later there is a plug attached to the side of the transmission, one wire is for part-time modes the other is for full-time (ground is through the powertrain). It needs a small sub-harness to reach the indicator switch on the transfer case. I'm not sure about the earlier modes

Earlier models have it there whether 242 or 231. Ir just dangles behind the shifter bracket.

Last edited:
I've had a hard time grasping what's really going on in your switch, but if you can rotate the shaft thru all the modes you should be ok!

Ya transfer case is in. It shifted all the modes. But then got stuck in 4wd part time. Linkage needs adjusting and oil. But part and full lights are working. Also need to cap the vacuum lines under the hood.

Back