• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ with bad motor

I feel for you dude. I'm having to make some engine decisions of my own too. I don't know about NY, but the junkyards in VA are full of later model year XJ's that have been wrecked in accidents. Engines are cheap and plentiful. If you can find one you would be happy transplanting, this may be your most cost effective fix.

... and , oh yeah. You don't "research". You "investigate". Good luck. Stay safe bro.

NYPDJeep said:
Well the new engine is in. The oil pressure is still low at idle (according to guage). I have the standard oil filter on there now. I've had the truck for 4 years and never had the guage dropping until right before the motor went, so I am concerned about it being low with the new motor.

I may put it up for sale (and get an older XJ) because of the damage to my wallet. I'm going to my tax accountant today and that will clear up the picture a lot depending on refund $

Thanks for all the previous tips, I figured I'd throw in an update.

You just put all the $ into the new engine, why sell it and get another one that you know nothing about, you may dig yourself a deeper hole

Factory spec for hot idle oil pressure is 13 PSI

but like you said its low "according to the gauge" and you have a "standard filter in there", what is the oil pressure reading at start up, hot idle, highway speeds?

What brand is the filter? that could be the problem right there, for some Jeeps like my dad's 96 it doesn't seem to make a difference but when I switched from the cheap Jiffy Lube filter to a K&N on my 97 the oil pressure jumped up 10 to 20 PSI across the board

My goal is to hold on to it. The only reason to sell would be to get a few thousand dollars that I could really use and around here you can come by old XJ's for a few hundered bucks.

I will put a better filter in on Monday and hope the pressure picks up a bit. It is only a concern to me because when my truck was running well for the last 3 years the pressure (again according to the gauge) never was dropping below 40 psi.

Yeah it would make me feel better if thats were mine stayed, but it doesn't, it drops down to 20 ish at hot idle, sometimes a little less, but it still runs fine etc

If it wasn't the gauge or the filter I don't see why a new engine would have a hot idle oil PSI that low

If it's not the causes above its because the engine is internally worn out (bearings etc) or I guess the oil pump could be shot

You put in a new/rebuilt motor right, not one from a pick n'pull?

Back