• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 Xj; How does the Factory Jack mount under the rear seat?

cburns70

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have a pic of how to mount the oem jack, and the tire tool with that little clamp under the seat?

Can see to get them positioned to make it work.

Thanks

I have a 95 owner's manual handy here, and as far as I recall it's the same for the later type (I don't think I have the 99 manual any more). I will be extra conservative and not post the picture, but I probably could if I had to.

The little clamp should face back, and be held down by a thumbscrew.

Place the jack handle down first, folded up with the hinge toward the right (passenger side), and the crank portion toward the left and back. Now put the jack on top of it, with its base to the right, and the cranking socket to the rear, slightly to the right of the thumbscrew. The clamp should now close over it.

This is one of those seemingly simple things that can frustrate because there's really only one way it works. If you want the next level of challenge, try putting the jack and tools back into a Chevy truck. If you have not plucked out your eyeballs by then, you'll almost be ready to put the wiper linkage back into an XJ.

If you have not plucked out your eyeballs by then, you'll almost be ready to put the wiper linkage back into an XJ.

one of my favorite tasks-- it's so simple to get it out, and once it's right, it's so simple to get it back in.............. but you'll spend an hour frustrating yourself with the wrong sequences before you get it right again!!

Back