• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 XJ, Coil-Over Project - Walker Evans Racing Shocks

Re: Pictures, Rear Axle

87manche said:
priandhi,
Are you concerned with the Dana 35 holding up behind your stroker? I've seen them grenaded on the street behind a 2.5L, in fact I have one with blown spider gears that was in a 2.5L MJ sitting in the garage.
I just hate to see you do all that nice work to an axle that may explode when you romp on the gas.
Pretty sure that's an 8.25. It looks identical to mine...

87manche said:
priandhi,
Are you concerned with the Dana 35 holding up behind your stroker? I've seen them grenaded on the street behind a 2.5L, in fact I have one with blown spider gears that was in a 2.5L MJ sitting in the garage.
I just hate to see you do all that nice work to an axle that may explode when you romp on the gas.
Is it TRUE about Dana 35 behind 4.5L Stroker :explosion :doh: ?

Then again, this will be used 90% ON-STREET ?

Beej said:
How do I differentiate between DANA 35 and 8.25 ?

Any opinion from the expert ?
ps : I'll check what kind of axle it really is

Last edited:

Beej said:
Unless he has ABS then it should be. it just looks like it's rounded like a 35. Can we get a picture of the differential cover straight on?
I certainly could be wrong.

Andhi,
You can tell if its an 8.25 by looking straight on at the differential cover. If there is a flat "lip" at the bottom of the housing, then it is an 8.25.

Also, you can tell by measuring the diameter of the axle tubes. An 8.25 has 3 inch tubes, a Dana 44 has 2.75" tubes and a Dana 35 has 2.67" tubes.

Another way to tell if its a Chrysler 8.25, is to look on the underside of the housing in the pinion area. There will be a model number embossed on the housing, and at the end of the model number is a Chrysler "star logo" like this:
Chrysler_logo.gif

However, now that I have more carefully looked at your pictures, I think that 87manche is right, and that its a Dana 35...

Actually, I hope its a factory Dana 44! :D

The D35 is the weakest of the stock XJ axles, but it serves plenty of daily drivers out there just fine. If you plan on wheeling it or want to lock the axle, you may find that, even on the street, it won't have the strength and reliability you want.

I think that it should be an easy replacement for you. With the access to the quality workmanship we've already seen you have, I think you could handle it easily. Hopefully you have something stronger available to you without having it shipped overseas! :D

Beej said:
The D35 is the weakest of the stock XJ axles, but it serves plenty of daily drivers out there just fine. If you plan on wheeling it or want to lock the axle, you may find that, even on the street, it won't have the strength and reliability you want.

I think that it should be an easy replacement for you.
With the access to the quality workmanship we've already seen you have, I think you could handle it easily.
Hopefully you have something stronger available to you without having it shipped overseas! :D
HA... HA... HA... , :yelclap: :clap:
just want to let youl you what I have purchased for my race car, pre-runner, on-road for all of these years..:skull1:
  • DANA 44, & DANA 60 - Dynatrack, USA
  • Ford 9" axle - CURRIE ENTERPRISE - USA
  • Locker, LS, Gear - Randy's Pinion, USA
  • Shocks, Coil Over - KINGSHOCKS, SWAY-A-WAY, USA
  • Small Accessories - SUMMIT RACING, 4 Wheel Hard Drvie, 4 Wheel Parts , USA
  • Engine Parts - USA
You guys in the US should fell very lucky....

So you know that everything got to come from US. Cherokee is not manufactured in Indonesia since the economic crisis in 1995. Since then all of the JEEP are completely Built-Up and sell in Indonesia.

American car that use those kind of axle such as FORD, CHEVY do not have assembly plant in Indonesia yet, although we have ASIAN Version of Ford Ranger, Chevy Pick-Up, etc. But those are using axles and parts that are not HEAVY DUTY.

So, for us creativity is limited by number of parts available in Indonesia, and most of us are using HEAVY DUTY Toyota Land Cruiser (The nex LX or Lexus model) on these American Cars.

So, when we purchase parts in the US, it will cost us almost twice by the time it arrives in Indonesia (Shipping, handling, custom tax, etc).!!!1

Last edited:
FadWorks - Custom Tubular Chasiss Race Car Builder
KSNUSA.COM - Engine/Transmission, Modification, Race Preparation, Haltech, Dyno
Grand Cherokee TUBULAR Race Car
Aco-3.jpg

• FiberGlass Grand Cherokee look-a-like
  • Grand Cherokee V-8 High Output
  • Haltech ECU, individual Coils (waste spark)
  • Toyota VX Axle (Solid Axle)
  • King Shocks Dual Rate Coil Over, remote reservoir
  • KING COILS
  • King Shocks Tripple By-Pass adjustable, remote reservoir Shocks
  • Modified AX-15 (Custom Close Ratio Racing Gear from Australia)
  • All Wheel Drive T-Case

BrettM said:
How about Toyota Hilux axles? The Toyota 8" is as strong or stronger than a D44 and has tons of aftermarket. Also the stamped steel housing makes it fairly light and also easy to weld your link mounts over the diff.
YUP, you are very right on that subject. It is one of the most popular axle that we have in Indonesia. The last production of the HILUX in Indonesia was like 10 years ago, and since then it was not manufactured.
The availability of the axle compared to the number of people that want the axle (Country Off-Road, Rock Crawling, Speed Off-Road) exceed the availability.
It is just like that...
PS: Has my friend of www.fabfours.com contact you yet ?
Would you be kind enough to contact him regarding my email ?

BrettM said:
What about Nissan? Isuzu? What else do you have? Surely there must be more than Ford and Chevy pickups...

haven't heard from your friend yet, I'll send him an email
Ha... Ha... Ha..., give it up BrettM.., we dont have the luxury of those nice pick-up truck either..., although we have LUXURY SUV such as ;
BMW X-x, X-5 (a lot)
Toyota Lexus, Land Cruiser
Mercedez ML Series
Porsche Cayene
VW Toareq
Then again those car are completly built-up when imported to Indonesia.

Nissan :
No Pick-Up and Heavy Duty Yet
Terrano (Asean Version)

Isuzu :
D-MAX

Mitsubishi :
Strada (Asean Version)

Chevrolet :
Blazer (Asean Version)
No Trailblazer
HILUX (up to 1990 only)

I use to purchase a couple of different lift kit for the above Pick-Up, and NONE of the lift kit match with the suspension on the truck in Indonesia.

For expample, Our FORD RANGER in Indonesia is THAILAND BASED Production car, which is a joint effort between MAZDA and FORD Thailand. Yes it is using FORD Engine, but chasis and suspension is a combination of Mazda Pick-Up and Ford Pick-Up.

Just fell lucky for your self....

Priandhi,

I find this thread cool enough to warrant advanced tech status. Lord knows its better than most of the topics discussed here!

Carry on, nice project, post some more pics of the rock crawler and the race truck! Especially tube and suspension pics!

CRASH

That's definatly a D35. You can tell by the pinion support in the casting. The 8.25 has two "ears" pointing straight up, the D35 is just like a tube. No ears.

What about Isuzu axles? If you look under any isuzu and it has a stamped steel housing with the drop out third member it'll be a 12 bolt. A very strong option to replace the D35. The only problem is the bolt pattern, 6x5.5". I'll be running one of these in my XJ to match a waggy44. I'm pulling it Saturday so if you need pics of it to identify it let me know...

What if he could get a beijing jeep 2500 axle? I wonder if they use 8.25's or a knockoff of it.
a 29 spline 8.25 would probably do it.

Guys, thanks for the advance tech suggestion.
Seems at the moment, i'll have to live with the Dana 35 (confirmed !)
I have a spare Dynatrac Dana 44 and Dana 60, but that would be use on my New Tubular Race Car (CORRXType)

Hope On-Street, it will hold up,and just cross my finger.

If there is any alternative of axle right here, then i'll change for sure. But this is the only option that I have right now.

I'll post up picture as we have new development next week.

CRASH said:
Priandhi,

I find this thread cool enough to warrant advanced tech status. Lord knows its better than most of the topics discussed here!
thanks for the compliment.... but, excuse my english...., what does it exactly mean ??

CRASH said:
Carry on, nice project, post some more pics of the rock crawler and the race truck! Especially tube and suspension pics!

CRASH
OK, but that is not ORINIGALXXJ, its just look-a-like, and nothing but Fiberglass body panel only.
Should I put it here, or in a seperate thread ?
Those car is our cUSTOMXBUILT race car, in which we did everything from tubular to a race prep car.

Priandhi Satria said:
Our ROCK CRAWLING XJ
all TUBULAR Frame, with aluminium XJ Body NARROWED
All COIL OVERS
fin-front1.jpg
This is not an XJ...

In any way.....

at all.....

Back