• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 XJ, Coil-Over Project - Walker Evans Racing Shocks

so have you gotten the rear end worked out yet? how bout coil rates?

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
so have you gotten the rear end worked out yet? how bout coil rates?

Dingo
YES SIR,... (and thank you for your concern...)

1. What I did to correct the "REAR Set-Up" is to lenghten the lower control arm, so that the angle between the lower and upper are much better.
  2. It is still under going the welding process.I have not finished it up.
  3. Once done, I will surely post everything on NAXJA.

This is an awesome thread. Thanks for posting up all your work. Its refreshing to see that even though things are done slightly different in other parts of the world, they can still be done just as well.

Having the drive to rip the suspension apart and re-do it right is killer. Way to stick with it and make it work. :D

It looks like you're pretty much wrapped up, but in case you felt like checking out similar setups, here's my build thread on installing 14" Fox Coilovers up front, and some of the crap I encountered.

34485%3A%3A323232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2344%3D739%3D%3A78%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A6%3A5438%3C2ot1lsi

Thread: CLICK

ArcticXJ said:
This is an awesome thread. Thanks for posting up all your work. Its refreshing to see that even though things are done slightly different in other parts of the world, they can still be done just as well.

Having the drive to rip the suspension apart and re-do it right is killer. Way to stick with it and make it work. :D

It looks like you're pretty much wrapped up, but in case you felt like checking out similar setups, here's my build thread on installing 14" Fox Coilovers up front, and some of the crap I encountered.

Went to see your thread... and found it very interesting. I should have gone there first when I started to tear apart my XJ.

It is almost finish, as I am still correcting the angle of the rear 4-link set uo, as well as fine tuning the shocks.

It seems that the WALKER EVANS coil over shocks is kind of difficult to tune (as I am familiar with KINGSHOCKS, SWAY-AWAY, FOX) but not walker evans.

Seems that the Compression rate are still to stiff, and it felt like hydro-lock when you bump/compress the suspension out of sudden. Seems I need to lighten up the rear compression rate.

As for coils, the rear are using 150 rate..., and it seems OK other than the shocks compression rate. What rate are you using for the rear ? Is it single rate or dual rate ?

At the moment I am using a singe rate, as WALKER EVANS did not supply me with the coils divider stopper ring....

PREVIOUS SET-UP (Rear Pararel Lower Arm)
Rear-ori-1.jpg

EXISTING SET-UP (Rear Pararel Lower Arm)
rear-arm-2.jpg

As you can see, NOW the lower pararel arms are much more pararel to the ground (Arms Lenghtened and Mounting Points Lowered)....

Now, the XJ handle like how it is supposed to be. The rear now squat under engine torque power.

however, I am still playing around with different coils as well as adjusting the SHOCKS VALVE to get the correct compression and rebound rate.

Anyone have experience with WALKER EVANS Coil Over Shocks to change and adjust the shocks valving ?

Priandhi Satria said:
Already Started. Will be finished in 10 days or so....
Current XJ at the moment.
XJ_Full.jpg

OMG this thing is amazing!
So are those really AMG wheels?? Off what? ML? How's the offset? How much are we talking? I want them!

Last edited:
tealcherokee said:
SWEET!!!

we need some more pics of everything. Pics of the new wheels too!

Thanks so much,...

What other picture or information do you need that I should provide....?

Next thread update would be about the Fine Tuning of the shocks, along with the coils...

PS: how is your projects coming up ?

88JeepXJ said:
OMG this thing is amazing!
So are those really AMG wheels?? Off what? ML? How's the offset? How much are we talking? I want them!

YES, IT IS....,
The AMG wheels used to be on Merc Benz 2000 E-320.

Spec :
Front 8x20 inch
Rear 8.5x20 inch
All Merc Benz wheel (sedan and ML series) will fits Cherokee (and jeeps) with small enlargement of the BOLT HOLES, and the center support section.

You need to grind and enlarge it yourself. In my case, I brought it to a machine shop, so that the can enlarge it on their milling machine, to get a true center and balanced.

So, next time you see merc on a junk yard, go get the wheel, COZ the owner of those kind of car would install nice wheel and tires....:D

www.tirerack.com/wheels/amg/amg.jsp

i thought those wheels were 18's

either way, my jeep is coming together slowly, completly rewired though.

soon to be done i hope

Priandhi Satria said:
----- Original Message ----- From: partsandservice
To: Walker Evans
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: Walker Evans Coil Over Shocks

Please see replies below in red - From WALKER EVANS

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:33 PM
Subject: Walker Evans Coil Over Shocks

Dear Sir,

• I Purchase Walker Evans Racing DUAL RATE Coil-OVER SHOCKS from PARTS-M (Munggaran) Dana Karya in Jakarta, INDONESIA.
  • The coil over shocks are installed in an XJ, in which the XJ has been modified into front and rear 4-link setup.
  • This will be a show car for street performance usage.
  • The built up of this car is shown in http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87268&page=23, and it will be FEATURED in Indonesian JIP MAGAZINES as one of the feature ;
    • All Walker Evans Coils Over Shocks,
    • KING COILS with dual rate coils
    • Engine, Stroked to 4.5 Liter, Automatic, Natural aspirated,
    • Dyno test to about 275 HP at wheel, 2 wheel drive
    • 22x8.5 inch wheel, 50x255x20 inch tires
    • All leather interior
    • AT the moment (still being tested),
  • i.Front coils rate are about 175-200
  • ii.Rear coils rate are about 150-175
  • I still need to have the COILS STOPPER RING, as you did not provide to us last time. At this moment, the dual rate coils are installed along with the coils devided kit, BUT NOT STOPPER RING are installed !!!
These are in production, they have been backordered for several weeks. But they will be available after next week. I believe

we are already planning to send some to Dana Karya in his next order that should be shipping in the next few weeks.
  • At the moment I have change so many coils on the XJ, but it seems the compression rate and rebound rate on the shocks are to stiff. No matter what coils are installed, I still can feel that the rear set-up is still kick-back on a sudden compression occurred during compression. I also can hear the sound and feel the STEEL VALVING SHIMS closing and opening during compression and rebound.
  • I need to know the standard compression and rebound rate when you sent this shocks.
  • If so, what is the order of the steel shims valve configuration stack (compression and rebond) ?
    • What do you suggest to soften the rate ?
    • Which steel shims configurations should I try ?
Do you need the valve code? Or the valve shims?

• What is the recommended NITROGON Pressure ? 200lbs
a.Should it be filled and measured on it free length (car put on jack stand) or on ride height (ON ITS OWN WEIGHT) ? The car should be on jack stands.

• I am looking to get a softer rate for the shocks compression and rebound rate.
To achieve this you can increase the bleed hole size. This will give you softer compression and a faster rebound.

• I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP, AS THIS CAR WILL BE TESTED with the Magazine Crew member for the Feature story.
I hope this has helped. If you have any further questions please let us know. We will be happy to help.

Thanks again for your support of Walker Evans Racing Shocks!

Crystal Bonker
Walker Evans Racing
951.784.7223 phone
951.788.1738 fax

For your information....

Last edited:
1997 XJ, Coil-Over Project - Walker Evans Shocks Valving Shims Rate Tuning

1997 XJ, Coil-Over Project
- Walker Evans Shocks
- Compression and Rebound Rate Fine Tuning
- Valve Bleed Holes
- Valving Shims Rate Tuning​

OK, since the recommendation from "WALKER EVANS" to enlarge the BLEED HOLES on the PISTON VALVE, I will write a step by step procedure along with detail picture.

Please give any input,...

Re: 1997 XJ, Coil-Over Project - Walker Evans Shocks Valving Shims Rate Tuning

Priandhi Satria said:
1997 XJ, Coil-Over Project

- Walker Evans Shocks
- Compression and Rebound Rate Fine Tuning
- Valve Bleed Holes
- Valving Shims Rate Tuning​

OK, since the recommendation from "WALKER EVANS" to enlarge the BLEED HOLES on the PISTON VALVE, I will write a step by step procedure along with detail picture.

Please give any input,...

Ok guys,

here we go...

1. I have discussed with Walker Evans and did all of the recommendation they they offer to me.
  2. Seems that W/E Shocks are good enough for rock crawling and slow speed. Both on the compression and rebound rate.
  3. BUT, once it is going to a medium to high speed, such as the one installed on my XJ (45mph and up...), it seems to me that I am having difficulties in fine tuning the shocks.
  4. I have done enlarging the Piston Hole, changing valve shims, adjusting the oil capacity, adjusting the nitrogen pressure, etc.
  5. Seems to me when the W/E shocks are put into high speed shocks shafts movement, the shocks would not do a good job as on a slower speed.
  6. Seems it is based on Rock Crawling design, and not INTENDED for medium to High speed purpose.
  7. ...
  8. I might be wrong...., If there are anyone that has skill in W/E shocks, please provide me with additional skill so that can make it to works...
  9. .....
  10. At the moment, I am changing the COIL OVER SET UP into a KING SHOCKS dual Rate coil over set-up.
  11. I'll post any news regarding the modifications....

How much experience do you have in shock tuning? It should make no difference in the shock styles at to what kind of shaft velocity they see. I've used their air shocks and they work fine for faster stuff you need to adjust the shims packs accordingly. The bleed holes will only help with low speed velocities. But I'm sure this is way to late as your
last
post was last year sometime.

Back