• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 and 1989 4.0 engine swap

SANDTRIBE

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a 1991 xj and got a motor from a friend out of a 1989. My concern is that it won't work out ... anyone got any comments on this?? Thanks

It will work. Just use the intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel/flexplate, possibly valve cover, distributor, various brackets fo raC/alternator, and all sensors from the 91. Be sure to use the intake/exhaust gaskte from the 91 for the swap. Any questions when you get into it, post them up.

It will work. Just use the intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel/flexplate, possibly valve cover, distributor, various brackets fo raC/alternator, and all sensors from the 91. Be sure to use the intake/exhaust gaskte from the 91 for the swap. Any questions when you get into it, post them up.

One thing I will suggest is check that exhaust manifold. XJ's have a very common problem of them cracking by the flange. I swapped out my motor in my '90 and I was suprised that the manifold was still in one peice! Jeep did come out with an updated one that can take more stress in those areas or you could just weld if back up. It's your call. Good luck to you! Take pics when she's done

Back