• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'00 XJ Engine cuts out and dies

my 00 did this too. turned out to be the a combination of a bad TPS and hot wire to the starter.

Maybe it was the threat of violence (or the three cans of gas treatment) but my Jeep now denies ever having a starting problem.

I made about 10 laps around the block, then three trips of about 10-20 miles each, then I threw it in 4WD-LO and took it down in the sand pits. Not the slightest hiccup or anything in two hours of driving.

I'm chalking this one up to water in the gas (which is pretty common down here in FL).

shelbyluvv said:
my 00 did this too. turned out to be the a combination of a bad TPS and hot wire to the starter.

Could you elaborate on the "hot wire to the starter". How's that???

Water in the gas? I've heard of that problem with diesel fuel, but not with regular gas. Strange. We had a Toyota Hilux diesel in Rwanda that had a light that came on when the water seperator was full and needed to be emptied. The truck would shut off until that was taken care of.

Capt. Nemo said:
Could you elaborate on the "hot wire to the starter". How's that???

Water in the gas? I've heard of that problem with diesel fuel, but not with regular gas. Strange. We had a Toyota Hilux diesel in Rwanda that had a light that came on when the water seperator was full and needed to be emptied. The truck would shut off until that was taken care of.

the one from the battery to the starter was falling apart inside the casing. looked fine on the outside but was shot when I cut it apart.

Back