• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do they determine

Depends, old standard, avenues run north south, streets run east west. Even numbered interstates run east west, odd numbered interstates run north south. Three numbered 'interstates' are generally circular or bypasses.

What's a "street" or "road" or "way", etc when they name streets?

Why Main street and not Main Blvd?

they ask everyone but you.

it is pretty much whatever they feel like. If you ever have the Opportunity to go to Hickory, NC or Allentown, PA; they are both interesting in the way they are named.

Hickory has 4 quadrants, so there is a 1st ST PL NE, 1st ST PL SE, 1st ST PL NW, and a 1st ST PL SW. None of which touch each other, as they are named from the middle radiating outward. the lower numbers are kinda close, but my Grandma lived on 12th St PL NE and it was nowhere near the other parts of "12th St".

Allentown PA has some weird names going on, but beyond that it looks like they let a drunk pig loose and everywhere he went they put a road. All of them 1-way.

Depends, old standard, avenues run north south, streets run east west. Even numbered interstates run east west, odd numbered interstates run north south. Three numbered 'interstates' are generally circular or bypasses.

Not any more, now developers name the streets as they plot their new subdivisions.
There are streets named after developers kids, pets, etc. sometimes they pick a theme, and everything will be named after ? fairytale characters or something.
Better yet, there is a subdivision in the next town over that has all of the streets named after the mayor and town council members....

Not any more, now developers name the streets as they plot their new subdivisions.
There are streets named after developers kids, pets, etc. sometimes they pick a theme, and everything will be named after ? fairytale characters or something.
Better yet, there is a subdivision in the next town over that has all of the streets named after the mayor and town council members....

So the developers can determine what's a 'street' vs a 'road' vs a 'way'?

I live on a "Trail", and yes Allentown PA looks like they let a 3yr old with a crayon plan the city layout.

Yup, about the only thing developers can all agree on is that a culdasac(sp) is a "Circle".

A BLVD is a divided 2 way street, but you don't have to call it one.

Pretty much depends on what they think looks nice on the sign ;)

Yup, about the only thing developers can all agree on is that a culdasac(sp) is a "Circle".

A BLVD is a divided 2 way street, but you don't have to call it one.

Pretty much depends on what they think looks nice on the sign ;)

cul-de-sac

To add to the above...

East-West interstates begin numbering up from the south, North-South interstates begin numbering up from the west. :farmer:

Alpha...you must be bored!

I don't know how it's done in the Denver Metro area, but I have long suspected that its a piece-rate type of pay scale for the person/people naming the roads.
My first job up here was pre-wiring low volt systems (alarm, phone, data) in new construction housing. The majority of the work was in Highlands Ranch, the largest suburb in the nation.
A lot of the streets were not even in the latest edition of Street Finder. There was a HUGE amount of time trying to find a given house. All the roads have very similar names and none of them resemble a straight line.
There is a Painted Canyon Road, and Street, and Avenue, and Drive, and Circle, and Place, etc. Pick a street name and there is bound to be at least three variations in the immediate vicinity. Back then the road signs were not even correct. There were several houses which got wired wrong because of the signage.

I don't know how it's done in the Denver Metro area, but I have long suspected that its a piece-rate type of pay scale for the person/people naming the roads.
My first job up here was pre-wiring low volt systems (alarm, phone, data) in new construction housing. The majority of the work was in Highlands Ranch, the largest suburb in the nation.
A lot of the streets were not even in the latest edition of Street Finder. There was a HUGE amount of time trying to find a given house. All the roads have very similar names and none of them resemble a straight line.
There is a Painted Canyon Road, and Street, and Avenue, and Drive, and Circle, and Place, etc. Pick a street name and there is bound to be at least three variations in the immediate vicinity. Back then the road signs were not even correct. There were several houses which got wired wrong because of the signage.

Now you know how us Atlanta people feel about "Peachtree"...there is a Peachtree Road, Circle, Ave, Street, etc...and then we also have Peachtree + insert word here nd then start assigning Road, Circle, Ave, Street, etc. all over again. And if that's not bad enough, take all of the above and add North, South, East, and West to every single one of them. Oh, and one more thing...take all of the above and add New- and Old-.

Geesh. :scared:

I think every single neighborhood in Boston has its own Washington St. If you look up Washington St in Boston you could end up anywhere from the nice areas to the ghetto. I think there is like 7 variations

Heh.

I spent most of my childhood in Lafayette, IN. Sits aside the Wabash river, and it's an old French city.

Why is this significant? "Old Lafayette" has the roads running perpendicular to/parallel to the Wabash. The later expansion runs N-S/E-W. You can usually tell right when you get from "Old Lafayette" to "New Lafayette" by the dogleg in the road you're on.

West Lafayette (which is essentially Purdue University and support systems) seems to have been built on the N-S/E-W grid pattern.

Of course, there are some neighbourhoods (like the "Indian Reservation") that have streets with themed names (all Indian tribes) and look like someone dropped a hanful of spaghetti on a large sheet of paper to lay out the streets...

Oh on the old this or that road, there is New Brunswick NJ, there is an Old New Brunswick Road. That confuses people not from the area quite often..

Heh.

I spent most of my childhood in Lafayette, IN. Sits aside the Wabash river, and it's an old French city.

Why is this significant? "Old Lafayette" has the roads running perpendicular to/parallel to the Wabash. The later expansion runs N-S/E-W. You can usually tell right when you get from "Old Lafayette" to "New Lafayette" by the dogleg in the road you're on.

West Lafayette (which is essentially Purdue University and support systems) seems to have been built on the N-S/E-W grid pattern.

Of course, there are some neighbourhoods (like the "Indian Reservation") that have streets with themed names (all Indian tribes) and look like someone dropped a hanful of spaghetti on a large sheet of paper to lay out the streets...

This sounds a lot like the 'system in NC... turn loose a mule and there is your road bed. Charlotte seems to have captured and perfected the method.
Locally, the firemen name most of the roads; we have a Lynard and a Skynard Lanes... one of my favorites is Cattle Drive! :laugh:

Back