• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MG's 2000 2Dr Build "Greyhound"

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I recently picked up my new cherokee. Its a 2000 silverstone sport, 2 door with 63k miles on it.

I took an 8 1/2 hour greyhound bus ride at 2am from downtown Baltimore to Danville Va and then drove the 6 hours home. That is how it got its name too. I had been searching for another limited but found this one and went with it.

My goal with this rig is to keep it in good condition and daily drivable for the next few years while building it to handle what I throw at it no problem.

I will be using some of these jeeps as inspiration:

TheEddie's old xj from JeepForum

FyrFytr1717

Unknown

XJeeper

Unknown

DrMoab

I plan on building it in 2 stages. First would be 3" lift or so with 31s while I armor it up, do a full stereo install and other less major mods. I will save up as I do this stage and then move onto stage 2.

The second stage would consist of building the hp30 and xj44 I have, 5-5.5" lift and 33x10.5s. I will not be cutting fenders and chopping this one up like I did with my first rig.

This build will be using the knowledge I have learned in the past few years to build a rig more suitable for my needs with quality parts. It isnt going to be the fastest build ever but Ill do what I can when I can. Summer is when I make most of my money so as we get closer Ill start making bigger purchases.

Here is a link to my first build if anyone wants to take a look, its currently for sale.
http://jeepforum.com/forum/f22/mg2000xj-build-thread-604616/

And here is a link to the album I will be posting all my pictures of this jeep in.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/578942535XRvDny

Pictures!!

First mod, mounted my maglite on the console

I have also ordered smoked turn signals and side markers off ebay as well as front/rear/trunk floormats by Husky

Should be picking up these wheels at the end of the month as well

Next up should be some tint for the rear windows and a full stereo install.

I got my floor mats in today as well as the turn signal/side markers.

The floor mats: The quality is much lower than I expected. They are made of thin plastic like material formed to fit the floor area. My $30 pair of front mats from sears are of higher quality. The fitment of them all is pretty good but nothing exceptional. My overall impression is I should have saved $250 for something else and went with cheap mats from somewhere local. I have them now so I will keep them and let them do their job of keeping the floor and carpet nice and clean.

I also had ordered smoked turn and marker lenses and I am very happy with these. I got them from a seller on Ebay and there should be plenty more available if anyone is interested. They are of OEM quality.

I used this listing of the bulbs in cherokees to get the right amber colored bulbs for the lenses.
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/AutoLRG-Results.htm

Mats installed

Not too happy with the fitment of the rear trunk mat, might trim down the edge closest to the hatch

Installed lenses/lights

I will pick up a can of VHT Nightshades to do the tail lights and third brake light soon.

Here is another thread/jeep build I will be using for inspiration. One of my favorite jeeps, rocknxj's
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1025143

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Started the stereo install tonight. I started with cleaning up the wiring harness from my other xj. It was all hooked up and ready to go but the wiring was a mess, this is what I ended up with.

My headunit has ipod controls built in so I can plug it in and never have to actually touch the ipod. On my other xj I ran the cable under the center console and cut a hole in the center console bucket and let it sit in there. I didnt like this because I wasnt able to lock it up without removing it and putting it in the glove box. So where did I run the cable on this one? The glove box of course. I ran the wire behind the headunit, through the dash and into the glove box from the back

To keep the cable from falling back into the dash I drilled two small holes for a zip tie.

Now I can leave the glove box locked while still being able to use my ipod.

I also use my droid for music which means I needed a 3.5mm headphone jack somewhere. In my old xj I had one ran under the center console to the ash tray and left the wire coiled up inside when not in use. I did this pretty much exactly as I had done before.

I drilled the hole in this position only to realize the cable wouldnt fit in the compartment where the ash tray drops into. I redrilled the hole in the rear of the try slightly offset to the left and it fit perfectly.

Put a zip tie around the cable to keep it from sliding back into the center console and we were good to go.

All installed

Next up will be speakers and most likely a new sub and amp. I will swap the Polk components from the old xj into this one and when Im done typing this Im buying a set of Polk coax speakers to match the fronts.

Im going to install the front speakers like I had them on the old xj but I will mount the crossovers inside the door. Like this,

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
So far the build has been copied over from JF to here but from now on I will update this thread as I update the other one.

I hope you guys enjoy checking it out as much as I am enjoying my new jeep.

Comments, criticisms, and guidance are welcomed. You guys are the masters.

Nice pics, looks like you got a good plan. The only common thread I see that I would change is not to run stock rims. I think you would be alot more pleased using aftermarket rims with a little better backspacing.

Other than the backspacing and tires being more expensive for the 16" wheel are there any other negatives to running stock wheels? I'm done running steel wheels, everyones got them and I'm not a fan of rusty wheels. I also really like those teflon coated mojave wheels which have more available sizes and backspacing options.

I haven't bought the wheels yet so I can still change my mind, always open for suggestions.

Thanks, MG

Other than the backspacing and tires being more expensive for the 16" wheel are there any other negatives to running stock wheels? I'm done running steel wheels, everyones got them and I'm not a fan of rusty wheels. I also really like those teflon coated mojave wheels which have more available sizes and backspacing options.

I haven't bought the wheels yet so I can still change my mind, always open for suggestions.

Thanks, MG

The thing I noticed most dramatically was the stability of the vehicle. If you look at a jeep w/stock rims & 33's it makes the jeep look really skinny

The thing I noticed most dramatically was the stability of the vehicle. If you look at a jeep w/stock rims & 33's it makes the jeep look really skinny

I dig that look anymore.

I have a set of ZJ Canyons on it now, 5"BS and 7" width running a 33x10.5 tire. I did lose turning radius but it doesnt bother me personally. If i still ran rocks or tight trails i never would have done this.

I dig that look anymore.

I have a set of ZJ Canyons on it now, 5"BS and 7" width running a 33x10.5 tire. I did lose turning radius but it doesnt bother me personally. If i still ran rocks or tight trails i never would have done this.

I know you do, hah. My cousin loves jeeps with tall skinny tires. He has owned a few willys jeeps etc. & swears by the old school military style look for all his trucks. Only other guy I know that likes them is Dan (Easyxjer) he runs 33 x 9.5's and loves them, they can just about split hairs.
NACFEST133.jpg

I know you do, hah. My cousin loves jeeps with tall skinny tires. He has owned a few willys jeeps etc. & swears by the old school military style look for all his trucks. Only other guy I know that likes them is Dan (Easyxjer) he runs 33 x 9.5's and loves them, they can just about split hairs.

Yep, Danny is local to me. Matter of fact that front bumper and wheels came off my rolled 88.

_0195.jpg

Sorry for the highjack Dan.

Yep, Danny is local to me. Matter of fact that front bumper and wheels came off my rolled 88.

_0195.jpg

Sorry for the highjack Dan.

Wow, that pic just gave me flashbacks. John, remember my black 88 2dr? My first XJ looked EXACLTY like that pic above when I first met you/ChrisW/MikeG.

Hey morgan didn't notice your build thread to now. I still cant believe how far you went to pick this one up! Was it at a dealership?

Are you gonna swap the leather interior out of your old cherokee? Oh and I think this looks better then nigh shades on XJ tails: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2457916420035101547DCMmHq

But if your gonna tint, leave the white part. I wish I did on my sisters WJ.

Oh and any chance your gonna sell those ICONS? My first cherokee was an '01 limited and I love those wheels, and you dont see alot of those Grey Classic Icons. I just bought a '94 ZJ to use as a DD, want to put them on that.

Austin, sorry I didnt see your post until now. I thought I was subscribed to this one with instant notification.

It was at a Honda dealership in a tiny town 45 minutes north of Greensboro, I dont ever plan on riding a Greyhound again.

The interior on this one is charcoal so the tan leather from the old one wont be swapped. I swore Id only ever have leather but I actually like the cloth in the new one.

Ill touch on the wheels in my next post.

Its been a while since I have made any updates but I have bought some stuff and done a little bit of work on the jeep recently.

I ended up buying those wheels and tires I had previously posted. They are 16" icons off a 4dr classic and they came with some almost bald 245/75/16 MTRs off a rubicon. I have them in my shed now as I debate what to do with them. It looks like the metric equivalent of a 33x10.5 only comes in a few options and all I have found seem to be load range e. Does anyone run tires of this load range on their dd? Im thinking this is a bit too stiff and will possibly sell the wheels. Id rather keep them and hopefully I will.

On another note I bought another set of speakers to match the front Polk components I am swapping in from my old xj. This series of speaker has been discontinued for a few years and I lucked out finding a brand new pair on caraudioclassifieds.org. Its a great forum for buying new/used car audio equipment and if anyone wants to check it out use this link:
Car Audio Classifieds - Buy, Sell and Trade Car Audio Equipment

comps with tweeters and crossovers

new coaxials with crossovers

So far I have taken the door panels off, removed the inner plastic covering and cut out one speaker grill on the panels. Im using the install that I had done by the professionals at Tweeter as a guide and so far its going pretty well. I hate car wiring but I try to do it as cleanly as possible and to the best of my ability.

doors and door panels

I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut out the grill then I cleaned it up with a small sanding barrel

this is how it will look when installed

Im also trying to figure out if I can find the pieces needed to flush mount the tweeters into the door panel. Tweeter used a small housing that sits on top of the door panel which holds the tweeter in. If I can find what I need I will mount the tweeter here,

if not, it will be mounted the same as Tweeter did it here,

I still need to strip the plastic off the passenger side door and cut out the grill on the drivers side. Driving around with no door panels is interesting, especially when I have people in my car who dont know how to get out haha. I think I will be ordering Second Skin Damplifier or Damplifier Pro for sound deadening, http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier-pro.php?category=70#tab2.

I will likely run all new wires to the speakers and Im still debating what I want to do for an amp. Might end up being this one from Alpine for ease of install, Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack Upgrade your Alpine receiver to 45 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com.

Again, thanks for looking and any and all comments are welcome. Stay tuned.

Back