• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identify this axle

PAPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what this front axle might have been under. Looks like a D44 to me, low pinion, spring under, passenger drop. Can you guys tell from these pics?

10eoow6.jpg

10eop55.jpg

(I don't plan on putting this in an XJ, just curious to find some info on this axle)

low pinion spring under passenger could be an older waggy

Looks like an old closed knuckle Dana 27/30 that came under the OLD Waggy's.

didnt even notice the closed knuckle, i guess looking at the pics help:D

Definitely looks like a 44, I was gonna say old chevy with the closed knuckles, but then I saw the other axle which is offset, then yeah, I vote old waggy.

green50gt said:
Definitely looks like a 44, I was gonna say old chevy with the closed knuckles, but then I saw the other axle which is offset, then yeah, I vote old waggy.

Dude, that is not a Dana 44.

I use to have a J4000 with a closed knuckle 44 that looks like that one.
Low pinion, spring plate right next to the diff. Not saying it IS a 44, but,,

dzraces said:
looks like the 27 but could be from a old toyota land cruiser it looks tha same as the one they had on extream 4x4

Negative. The LC axle uses a much larger ring gear, different steering arms, and larger tubes that are of a clamshell construction.

Good try, though!

Looking at the steering arm, it looks like a IH D44, but, I don't know if they ever used a closed knuckle. having 2 CJ5 D27's, I will say that I really don't think it is.

The one in front is a D27, the one in back is a D44. D27/D30 covers are round, D44 covers have an offset "peak", like a D60.

Look at the covers...

"Mystery" axle
10eop55.jpg

D27 in the front of a 1970 CJ5 sitting in my lot (pic taken today)
i192825751_89891.jpg

D44 in a 1971 J10 sitting in my lot (pic taken today)
i193508605_78898.jpg

My guess would be a Willy's P'up, but it's just a guess. Where the heck is Erik when I need him...

Here I am. I'm going with Bob. It's a Dana 27 out of a 71 or older CJ, possibly a Scout 800 series. Can't think of many other axles that were closed knuckle and spring under.

A couple more clues...the gear ratio is 3.31, and it is 5 lug.

I don't know why I thought it was a D44 when I looked at it in person. I can see from the pics that it obviously is not.

Last edited:
Trailbst said:
Here I am. I'm going with Bob. It's a Dana 27 out of a 71 or older CJ, possibly a Scout 800 series. Can't think of many other axles that were closed knuckle and spring under.

Scout is a good guess. Notice how much wider it looks than yours?

bobnoxious said:
Scout is a good guess. Notice how much wider it looks than yours?

Yeah, it is a bit wider. I know that 800 series used a very similar closed knuckle D27. Then the 80s used the Dana 30 then the Dana 44 fronts.

As for the 3.31s, that sounds odd for that axle. The highest was usually 3.73s. Not sure what Scout used though.

My other thought is an early Waggy, but not sure what they used for fronts. I know that they weren't always D44s. 3.31s would be correct for behind a V-8. I'm thinking this, because the rear looks offset. Scout, to the best of my knowledge, used the Dana 20 with a center out, but you could get a lot of Waggys with offset rear axles. I'll have to look into that.

Bob, I just saw your Willys P'up thought, and it might be that. Offset rear axle would fit too.

looks like a 44, but it would be easier to tell if the pic was straight on from the back

Back