• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mount (write up)

XJ Stryker

WHO DAT!
Motor Mount and Oil Filter Adapter removal

Motor mounts are a common item to replace on a JEEP. But it is also a very easy task that sounds really hard. I am replacing mine with Autozone mounts due to very little offroading with this Jeep. If you do alot of Offroading buy MORE mounts they run about 130 bucks but are well worth the extra doe.

When doing motor mounts you HAVE to remove the OIL FIlter Adapter (OFA). Highly recommended also to remove the AIR BOX it is only 2 13mm bolts and one 13mm nut.

Removal of airbox
DSC03116.jpg

Now you can see your L/side motor mount
DSC03117.jpg

Your R/side is always visible
DSC03118.jpg

Next drain your oil and remove oil filter
DSC03119.jpg

DSC03121.jpg

The OFA is what the oil filter was screwed into
DSC03122.jpg

The OFA is attached to the engine with one 16mm bolt.
DSC03120.jpg

Caution once you start to loosen this bolt the OFA will tilt and spill the remaining oil out of it. But that is a good thing cause now you can get it from the top
DSC03124.jpg

The 16mm bolt will tighten up just before the oil filter adapter comes out. That is due to the O-rings inside of it. You have to get new O-rings from the Stealership. But it is a good idea to replace them.

Oil FIlter Adapter (OFA) removed
DSC03126.jpg

There are 3 O-rings two of them you can find at any parts store. The larger one is a dealer Item

DSC03137.jpg

Now you can start removing the motor mount "mount" bolts. You will need a 15mm Socket with a 12in extension and a 15mm wrench. For the Bolt going through the mount you will need to 18mm wrenches or ratchet. Gear wrenches work best. I like to remove all the 15mm bolts and only loosen the 18mm before i jack up the engine

R-side Mount bolts 15mm you have to get one from the top and one from the bottom.
DSC03125.jpg

Bottom
DSC03129.jpg

L-side mounts bolts 15mm
Sockets with Extension for bottom
DSC03130.jpg

You can use either a 15mm wrench or a ratchet with no extension here. Remove this one from the top
DSC03131.jpg

After all the bolts are removed move on to the pins. Remove the nut from pin with 2 18mm wrenches or what not. PB blaster may be needed to make it quicker.

DSC03127.jpg

DSC03132.jpg

Now you are ready to lift the engine place a wooden block on a jack to prevent damaging the oil pan and lift on the oil pan. You will see the truck start to raise that is mainly the weight of the engine coming off the springs. It actually needs to go up quite a ways to get the pins out.

DSC03123.jpg

DSC03133.jpg

You will know when you have the engine high enough cause the pins will be able to be removed by hand. Even on this 87 i was able to just pull the pins out once i hit the sweet spot.

DSC03134.jpg

OLD MOUNTS
DSC03115.jpg

Once you get the pin out pop the new mounts in. Start your top 15mm bolts. Lube the bolt/pin with grease to make it slide back in easier. You will have to raise the engine even more to line the pin up but once again i put it in by hand. You may need to push the engine from side to side to push but they will go with very little persuasion. I was able to push both pins in with my hands.
Once both bins are in lower engine back down and tighten everything up!!!

New mount on Lside installed

DSC03136.jpg

New mount on Rside

DSC03135.jpg

Reinstall OFA with the 16mm bolt. Replace OIl filter and Air box. Fill with oil and take her for a test drive. Some people say your new mount may give a lil vibration for a few hundred miles but mine never have. Save your receipt on your autozone mounts i heard they tend to break easily but mine are still good on the other waggie.

Great write up, one thing to add; on the HO motors the oil filter adapter doesn't have to be removed to get the bolt out of the right side motor mount.

Oilfilter003a.jpg

DAMN nice write up!!!

I will be changin them the next time I am in Vancouver at my parent's place. Dad has the jack that doesn't self lower and the concrete driveway......

I would do it at my place, but the OE jack in the XJ, just wouldn't cut it......

Nice writeup - shoulda upgraded the oil filter adapter to the later-model (horizontal) style though. You can use a larger 1-qt filter that way too.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

You can still run it with the old style huh? I have been running the larger Bosch filter forever(Ford I think?). Mines an 87 as well. BUT I do NOT have the upgraded oil filter adapter like Rob does.

Thanks all for the comments. I kinda like the oil filter up makes it easier to take off. As for 4.0 HO i am not familiar with them YET!!! I have two 87 waggies with a renix engine. I just bought this waggie and the PO didnt take care of it so it has A LOT of leaks. I am working them off one by one. The motor mounts were broke and the OFA was leaking sotwo birds with one stone.

Once again thanks

Instead of taking the oil filter adapter off, you can take the pass side mount bracket off the block with it. One torx bolt that sucks though.

mcnamaag said:
You can still run it with the old style huh? I have been running the larger Bosch filter forever(Ford I think?). Mines an 87 as well. BUT I do NOT have the upgraded oil filter adapter like Rob does.
The adapter needs to be changed from the Renix-era metric fitting (20x1.5mm thread) to the H.O. era 3/4-16 threads. Once that's done though you can run the larger (and often cheaper) 1-qt filters such as the Wix/NAPA Gold 51515 or 1515, Mobil1 M301, Motorcraft FL-1A (common on Ford V8s), etc...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Jeepsloth said:
on the HO motors the oil filter adapter doesn't have to be removed to get the bolt out of the right side motor mount.

Just for clarity, some of the HO motors have the vertical style oil filter adapter. The OFA is horizontal on '93 and newer...I have a '91 HO with the vertical OFA.

good write up ,but i fail to see the need to dump the oil from the pan before doing the job?

what i would do is do the entire job as per your write up then run it for a little bit and then dump the oil and change the filter. since you have a chance of getting some grit / contamination in the engine when removing that flange. if you change the oil first then add new oil at the end, any gunk that got in there, is in there for the entire oil change interval.

I didnt specify on the writeup but I did a Seafoam flush prior to draining the oil. I do see your point. It may be better to drain the oil afterwards or just do a good flush. How much oil do you lose by just pulling the Oil filter adapter. Maybe a quart. NIce thoughts on this

You only lose what's in the filter and left in the adapter.
Nada Mucho

I've noticed with my 87' adapter seem to be able to rotate 90* lookin like a HO but I didn't really want to fcuk with it and I like vertical orientation as well, easier to remove. I no longer use filter wrench, I do it by hand

Last edited:
I replaced my motor mounts in my 98 XJ with M.O.R.E. Bombproof. Easy as pie! The Bombproof mounts are great but cause a considerable amount of vibration throughout the cabin. I have put about 300 miles on the mounts and still have the "rattle". I'll keep you posted.

Back